Lipo charge rates

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sumguy75

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
  2. Talion
  3. Typhon 6s
Ive been charging my lipos at 6.0 amps always, which is what the cells/mah/charge rate call for using a 1c charge rate. Ive noticed my batteries say they recommend a 1C rate, then says never go above 2C.
Would it be fine going up to 8A or 10A with a 6000mah 6s battery? That would be below the 2C max but above the recommended 1C.

Ive been charging my lipos at 6.0 amps always, which is what the cells/mah/charge rate call for using a 1c charge rate. Ive noticed my batteries say they recommend a 1C rate, then says never go above 2C.
Would it be fine going up to 8A or 10A with a 6000mah 6s battery? That would be below the 2C max but above the recommended 1C.
Yep, 2c for 6.0ah would be 12a. Anything at or below 12a is good to go.

It's OK, however Lipo manufacturers have done durability testing charging above 1C and those have averaged less "total cycles" before failure/weakness due to the increased charging rate.

Now if you charge above 1C every other cycle or even every 5 to 10 cycles, how does that change average lifespan?? How does discharge rate or LVC voltage change longevity??? Lots of variables, especially with cell quality.

I don't mind 6A when im not waiting for the battery to go bash so Ill stick to that if no hurry.
Charger goes to 10a so Ill use that when Im trying to get out the door to bash quicker like this morning. 😁

It's OK, however Lipo manufacturers have done durability testing charging above 1C and those have averaged less "total cycles" before failure/weakness due to the increased charging rate.

Now if you charge above 1C every other cycle or even every 5 to 10 cycles, how does that change average lifespan?? How does discharge rate or LVC voltage change longevity??? Lots of variables, especially with cell quality.
Agreed. Many variables to consider.. I'm so lazy I charge everything at 5a. From 4000-6500mah, all at 5.0a The 4000 I have are only rated at 1C but, they get 5.0 anyways..🤷‍♂️
I don't mind 6A when im not waiting for the battery to go bash so Ill stick to that if no hurry.
Charger goes to 10a so Ill use that when Im trying to get out the door to bash quicker like this morning. 😁
I know the feeling.. sometimes I forget to put batts on when I get home from work. Then it's a race to charge and run them before it gets too dark!🤪😂😂

Agreed. Many variables to consider.. I'm so lazy I charge everything at 5a. From 4000-6500mah, all at 5.0a The 4000 I have are only rated at 1C but, they get 5.0 anyways..🤷‍♂️
It's not lazy and I do the same with all of my big packs! That's efficiency my friend, plus changing charger parameters creates an opportunity for button/setup failure as those have a limited amount of presses before going bad. (y)

On the weekends when my brother is supposed to come out and bash, I'm charging batteries by say 9am..then he strolls in at say 1pm.. I have a pile of batteries charged. He has none charged..
One of these days I'll learn. Usually I end up trying to cycle as many batteries through my rigs as quickly as possible just to get them down to about storage charge. He's lucky to get 3 or 4 packs run in a day..🤷‍♂️😂
He's like "driving miss daisy ".. I'm like what's next?😬😳🤯
It's not lazy and I do the same with all of my big packs! That's efficiency my friend, plus changing charger parameters creates an opportunity for button/setup failure as those have a limited amount of presses before going bad. (y)
I agree. Pushing buttons isn't hard by any means, I just prefer to keep it simple.😉

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back