Kraton Looking for opinions on the ultimate ESC/Motor combo for a Kraton 6S EXB

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Soooooo… if you weren’t speaking about weight when you mentioned load balancing, what were you talking about? I think most are more concerned with the weight of the motor rather than the physical dimensions of it.

I already ordered the max4 combo so now I’m gonna be running around like I got two fat chicks on the passenger side.
I meant load balancing as far as amperage/workload/heat/etc of the motor, the bigger the more user friendly.

Thank u everyone for the info. Seems there are 2 really to choose from. This was an interesting thread and a good point came up about maybe me pushing for the absolute best when I'm new to this 1/8 scale thing. I bought the HW MMaxx6 combo and ill start there. I have been into RC for 40 years off and on. Things have changed since my last RC 1/10th scale stadium truck. Can't wait to bash this thing

Can't make this up :ROFLMAO:

I think you’ll be happy. I’ve got a few max6 esc’s and never noticed the issues @Moirae described, but I’m not a pansy. Jk jk, I haven’t ever ran a MMX8s to compare it to so I’ve always been happy. I do have an MMX8s going into a new build with a TP motor so perhaps I will be converted over to the finer things in life.

The best combo was installed from Arrma. Everything else is consumer opinion.

These modern RTR 6S-60mph aluminum skateboards are plenty for someone who hasn’t controlled such extreme power and velocity, doesn’t take much for something or someone to get seriously hurt.

I think you’ll be happy. I’ve got a few max6 esc’s and never noticed the issues @Moirae described, but I’m not a pansy. Jk jk, I haven’t ever ran a MMX8s to compare it to so I’ve always been happy. I do have an MMX8s going into a new build with a TP motor so perhaps I will be converted over to the finer things in life.
Haha I didn't even mention the double and triple tap to reverse! the wifey always complaining about that one, she literally HATES it. I gave her all the max 6's too, except for the one in my outcast. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Thank u everyone for the info. Seems there are 2 really to choose from. This was an interesting thread and a good point came up about maybe me pushing for the absolute best when I'm new to this 1/8 scale thing. I bought the HW MMaxx6 combo and ill start there. I have been into RC for 40 years off and on. Things have changed since my last RC 1/10th scale stadium truck. Can't wait to bash this thing
I don't think you will be disappointed..... Welcome aboard, by the way!!

You always have the option to switch out in the future to different esc/motor if you do choose, and I know you know that....

One thing is for sure, when you ask this forum "what would be best for me....".

You do get a variety of answers

Personally, I want a Coyote 5.0 for my Senton 3S

ford racecar GIF by Off The Jacks

the Coyote is an incredible motor. You can add a ton of boost and those internals stay in tact. I do have a 521 cubic in Big Block Ford that moves pretty well

the Coyote is an incredible motor. You can add a ton of boost and those internals stay in tact. I do have a 521 cubic in Big Block Ford that moves pretty well
Got a recommendation? I've considered boosting mine. Probably roots SC but not sure which one.

I have to disagree again, I have seen a Kraton completely abused with the 5687 and its just fine. Next I suppose youll say this vehicle wont need exb diffs lol. It absolutely will no matter what motor the OP goes with...

You have both but you don't have an EXB. I question the validity of all your statements Sir.
I don't really get the relevance of EXB vs BLX when we are discussing motors? Especially as other than the diffs, they can keep their "7075" and I'll keep the m2c stuff on mine.

I've seen your videos, and as you say, everyone bashes differently but start sending it from a height rather than backflipping off a garden wall and all that weight is very noticeable.

I have bent a motor mount with a standard BLX185 hanging off. A 5687 is a heavy unit. You talk about amperage and heat like a 4985 is marginally sized in a 1/8th scale rig lol

I don't really get the relevance of EXB vs BLX when we are discussing motors? Especially as other than the diffs, they can keep their "7075" and I'll keep the m2c stuff on mine.

I've seen your videos, and as you say, everyone bashes differently but start sending it from a height rather than backflipping off a garden wall and all that weight is very noticeable.

I have bent a motor mount with a standard BLX185 hanging off. A 5687 is a heavy unit. You talk about amperage and heat like a 4985 is marginally sized in a 1/8th scale rig lol
Honestly, having those big motors is not even worth it unless you like to put 8s in there to go with it. My Talion XL has that fat can TP motor and I basically only run it on 6s but the 1460kv is just high enough for it to still be decent. 1100kv seems way too low for an 1/8th scale basher running on 6s. If you add 8s you're increasing the weight even more.

I always debate getting rid of the fat can and going back to the tp 4070 1700kv I had in there for the first day. As you say, when you're sending it that weight definitely matters. I was breaking my Talion almost every time I took it out. I can't land bad or chances are something is going to break. :ROFLMAO:

castle 1717 1650kv mmx8s combo is what you want.
I've got both the 1717/MMX8S and the Max 6/4985. Both are awesome combos, but the MMX8S is just a tad bit more delicate than the Max 6 when it comes to taking a beating inside a basher. First and foremost, the Max 6 has four holes on the bottom which makes it way easier to mount to an exisitng mounting plate. Template the four holes and drill them into the plate. MMX8S requires an extra aftermarket bracket because even the best 3M velcro or two sided tape won't hold it in a bad cartwheel or landing from 25 feet up. The MMX8S definitely has a better feel of control, but the Max 6 is just a bigger brute. I also don't like that Castle uses a proprietary connector for the fan, so I have to cut of the lead and connect it to the fans I like to use. For tuneability, the Castle is superior, but as an all out, all weather, all catastrophy handler, I'm going with the Hobbywing.

I've got both the 1717/MMX8S and the Max 6/4985. Both are awesome combos, but the MMX8S is just a tad bit more delicate than the Max 6 when it comes to taking a beating inside a basher. First and foremost, the Max 6 has four holes on the bottom which makes it way easier to mount to an exisitng mounting plate. Template the four holes and drill them into the plate. MMX8S requires an extra aftermarket bracket because even the best 3M velcro or two sided tape won't hold it in a bad cartwheel or landing from 25 feet up. The MMX8S definitely has a better feel of control, but the Max 6 is just a bigger brute. I also don't like that Castle uses a proprietary connector for the fan, so I have to cut of the lead and connect it to the fans I like to use. For tuneability, the Castle is superior, but as an all out, all weather, all catastrophy handler, I'm going with the Hobbywing.
I might agree with you if you were talking about max 5 vs xlx2 but mmx8s is not known to be fragile and mine certainly haven't been. I do agree with you on the fan connector though. I've searched so heard for the name of that connector and I can never find it. I always find connectors that look very similar but never the exact same. :eek:

I might agree with you if you were talking about max 5 vs xlx2 but mmx8s is not known to be fragile and mine certainly haven't been. I do agree with you on the fan connector though. I've searched so heard for the name of that connector and I can never find it. I always find connectors that look very similar but never the exact same. :eek:
Just cut the lead off the broken fan and attach to any new one. None of my MMX8S's use stock fans anymore. You might be having different results than me. I've had three MMX8S fail prematurely when in my bashers and only one Max 6. I know we both run in similar weather conditions, so that can't be the factor. Maybe you're just a better driver 😮

Just cut the lead off the broken fan and attach to any new one. None of my MMX8S's use stock fans anymore. You might be having different results than me. I've had three MMX8S fail prematurely when in my bashers and only one Max 6. I know we both run in similar weather conditions, so that can't be the factor. Maybe you're just a better driver 😮
Yea i've been cutting them off too. I just wish I could buy some of them too haha. Damn thats surprising you've broken so many mmx8s. I had 13 of them and have only had one mess up. Not sure what happened to it but one of the female bullets on the esc was burnt up. I've never had a problem with a max 6 esc but I also only have 4 of them.

Now XLX2's on the other hand? I've had one go up in flames and one brand new one just die within 7 minutes of the first pack. Just going 30 mph down the street lol. I've seen it happen to multiple people too and it's so easy to find videos of xlx2's having problems.

My vote will always be hobbywing, not a castle fan at all. Get a Max 6 combo and never look back. You will need a new motor mount or to have the accuracy of my buddy to make new holes in the current motor mount to get this beast to fit.
Max 6 with 1650 (4985) fits with no motor mount mods needed. At least in my case they did.
Only the Castle has motor thermal protection. The hobbywing does not.
My Max 6 does.
But why? A 4985 is already more power than you can realistically use in the 6s platform, the 5687 is just adding weight, drivetrain and suspension wear.

An rc car that can do a standing double backflip with a 4985 is a bit different to a 700 series 3D helicopter where head speed is king.

Inb4 have you seen both, I have both
I agree if we’re talking general use bashers here, and we are.
You won’t be disappointed. The Max 6 is a versatile, powerful, and reliable combo. Put a dual fan setup on the motor and life is good.
The best combo was installed from Arrma. Everything else is consumer opinion.
Come on, man…. You’re killing me Smalls.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back