Looking to upgrade ESC in my Vorteks.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Vorteks
Looking to go with a 130ESC and motor. As inexpensive as possible.
I was wondering if this was any good or just more junk.

SurpassHobby Rocket-RC Brushless Motor ESC Combo
ESC Combo.jpg

The 10BL120 G2 can support 4s… they ‘recccomend’ only running the motor on 3s. (I would just run the 3660 3150kv on 4s. Also saves on $$)

The 8BL150 combo is a more ‘pure’ 4s combo, but may be a tight fit in the chassis… plus you are at the limit of what the 3s platform/drivetrain can handle. The 42mm motors will have more torque

The 10BL120 G2 can support 4s… they ‘recccomend’ only running the motor on 3s. (I would just run the 3660 3150kv on 4s. Also saves on $$)

The 8BL150 combo is a more ‘pure’ 4s combo, but may be a tight fit in the chassis… plus you are at the limit of what the 3s platform/drivetrain can handle. The 42mm motors will have more torque
Great info. Exactly what I needed to know.
But that brings up 2 more questions.
1. Since the 3150kv is close to the stock motor could I just run the stock motor on 4s?
2. They have a 2600kv motor that would match up and still be under $100 combied. Would that be better?
Again, thanks for all the help. ✌️
https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/pro...4144627&pr_seq=uniform&variant=40912328294515

Last edited:
#1 this would be the cheapest route, however you would need to extend the stock motor wires
#2 Yup! That is a good option too! The esc spec sheet is Here
Snip:
IMG_0400.jpeg

But as I mentioned before… the 4s power through a larger motor maybe tough on the car!
BTW, now you making me want to pickup that combo lol

#1 this would be the cheapest route, however you would need to extend the stock motor wires
#2 Yup! That is a good option too! The esc spec sheet is Here
Snip: View attachment 332297
But as I mentioned before… the 4s power through a larger motor maybe tough on the car!
BTW, now you making me want to pickup that combo lol
Awesome. Exactly what I needed to know.
Will I need a programming card or box to set it up properly?
I'll update my build as I get it done.

https://www.hobbywing.com/en/products/quicrun-wp-10bl120-g2278.html

2023-11-20_13-31-34.jpg

I have a 35A Surpass Hobby ESC, which is the same as Rocket and I am not happy with that ESC, but that might not be a fair comparison to the 130A ESC.
Response to the throttle is not nice and I cannot setup braking in a good way.
At low speeds it doesn't brake well and at high speed it does stoppies and flips, regardless of the brake setting in the ESC.

I own 2 Hobbywing ESC's now and they are great (10BL60 and Max10 120A SCT ESC).
So I think you are making good decision choosing Hobbywing. I am just not sure if 120A is enough for that motor, for sure you will be pushing the ESC to it's limits.

https://www.hobbywing.com/en/products/quicrun-wp-10bl120-g2278.html

View attachment 332834

I have a 35A Surpass Hobby ESC, which is the same as Rocket and I am not happy with that ESC, but that might not be a fair comparison to the 130A ESC.
Response to the throttle is not nice and I cannot setup braking in a good way.
At low speeds it doesn't brake well and at high speed it does stoppies and flips, regardless of the brake setting in the ESC.

I own 2 Hobbywing ESC's now and they are great (10BL60 and Max10 120A SCT ESC).
So I think you are making good decision choosing Hobbywing. I am just not sure if 120A is enough for that motor, for sure you will be pushing the ESC to it's limits.
Good to know. The 2600kv is what the manufacturer recommended for 4s. They sell the 3200kv as the 3s recommendation.
I'll definitely be watching my temps.👍

Good to know. The 2600kv is what the manufacturer recommended for 4s. They sell the 3200kv as the 3s recommendation.
I'll definitely be watching my temps.👍
I think those numbers are focused on max RPM of the motor, to keep it below 50k rpm.

4x4.2x2600 = 43.680 rpm
3x4.2x3200 = 40.320 rpm

A bigger motor is more AMP hungry, but then we go to the theoretical discussion that a setup that you run on 3s, pulls more amps then when you run the same setup on 4s.

But yes, keep an eye on temps.
A WP10BL120 does not have a temperature shutoff like the EZRUN MAX10 G2 140A ESC.
You could see if you can find a Max10 120A SCT ESC for a good price. Mine has been bulletproof so far.

I think those numbers are focused on max RPM of the motor, to keep it below 50k rpm.

4x4.2x2600 = 43.680 rpm
3x4.2x3200 = 40.320 rpm

A bigger motor is more AMP hungry, but then we go to the theoretical discussion that a setup that you run on 3s, pulls more amps then when you run the same setup on 4s.

But yes, keep an eye on temps.
A WP10BL120 does not have a temperature shutoff like the EZRUN MAX10 G2 140A ESC.
You could see if you can find a Max10 120A SCT ESC for a good price. Mine has been bulletproof so far.
Good info.
Looking at the hobbywing site it says the Quicrun WP10BL 120 G2 does have esc overheat protection. That's the one I ordered. $55.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back