Looking for an upgrade for my Limitless...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thatguy

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
  2. Senton 3s
So... I have owned my v1 Limitless for about 1.5 years now, and loved every minute of it. I originally put Spektrum electronics (160A ESC, 1250KV motor + 2x 3S Spektrum Hardcase LiPos) in it and it has been lots of fun, getting to about 86 mph on stock gearing. Cool and all, but I got the itch. I decided to get some better electronics, so I immediately thought Castle, as they have good stuff. So if I get the Castle XLX2 and 1717 1650KV motor, what kind of batteries/chargers should I get? Is the Castle system worth it? What kind of gearing should I use? Thanks for the help, kind of a noob, but getting there...

So... I have owned my v1 Limitless for about 1.5 years now, and loved every minute of it. I originally put Spektrum electronics (160A ESC, 1250KV motor + 2x 3S Spektrum Hardcase LiPos) in it and it has been lots of fun, getting to about 86 mph on stock gearing. Cool and all, but I got the itch. I decided to get some better electronics, so I immediately thought Castle, as they have good stuff. So if I get the Castle XLX2 and 1717 1650KV motor, what kind of batteries/chargers should I get? Is the Castle system worth it? What kind of gearing should I use? Thanks for the help, kind of a noob, but getting there...
There are a lot better people on here to answer your questions, so this is just my two cents.
The XLX2 is the top ESC for speed running at the moment. If you are a penny pincher, the MMX8S would do whatever you need at this point, people have used them in single motor cars and done over 150mph. The 1717 1650kv is a great speed run motor, a good balance of a lot of things (size, weight, price, and kv).

I think at the moment you could keep running the set up you have in the car, the Spektrum 160a ESC has been over 100mph on 6S and over 125mph on 8S using a Spektrum 2050kv motor if I can remember correctly.
Unless you are trying to get that last 2% out of your batteries the CNHL ones are the way to go, they are good batteries, and they are affordable you should be able to find a "2X" deal (You have to buy 2 of the same batteries but it makes them up to 30% cheaper) that would be great for what you want to do.
Before you buy anything big, I would try just gearing up and seeing what happens. I don't know what pinion you are running but I would recommend starting with a 29T or 30T and going up one or two tooth a time.

One thing to consider buying is a good transmitter, that is the best purchase I ever made for speed running. I use a NB4 it is about $220, and you can ask anyone on here that has used one and they will tell you that they liked it or liked it for the price (it's hard to say you like a $200 radio over a $700 one). Its fully digital so you aren't messing with diles and there are some channel speed settings built in that you can use. You can have perfect pass built right into your transmitter, I also use the steering adjustments and setting a lot.

Well, no specific speed goals, just really fast. And no, I didn't know that the XLX2 didn't fit in the stock position. How can I make it fit? A different, maybe wider chassis?
What are your speed goals? Are you aware that the XLX2 doesn’t fit in the stock ESC location?

Last edited:
Using the 1717, it’d be better paired with the MMX8S as an all around basher with highly capable 120+ mph if desired. If you were looking at a 160+ top speed build, then XLX2/2028

Well, no specific speed goals, just really fast. And no, I didn't know that the XLX2 didn't fit in the stock position. How can I make it fit? A different, maybe wider chassis?
I’d think about some of those things. Your goals for speed. What voltage you plan to use. How much modification you’re willing to buy/do. Then post your question, with those details, in the “speed demon” section.

I flipped the motor mount and installed an XLX2 in the stock motor location. But that also means I lost a battery tray. Some people put the XLX2 on the tower brace instead.

https://stupidrcparts.com/index.php...ace-black-fits-castle-xlx2&controller=product

The 2028 is too big, if you what to do 160+ I would get a TP 40XX.
Looks like it was designed to fit in there.

IMG_0525.jpeg

Using the 1717, it’d be better paired with the MMX8S as an all around basher with highly capable 120+ mph if desired. If you were looking at a 160+ top speed build, then XLX2/2028
Does the MMX8S fit in the standard ESC position? What kind of gearing would you use to get 120+? Noob questions, sorry.

View attachment 326059
That picture is not a V1 limitless.
Does the MMX8S fit in the standard ESC position? What kind of gearing would you use to get 120+? Noob questions, sorry.
Yes the MMX8S fits in the standard ESC position.

I would not jump to 120 gearing. First try to hit 80. Then 100. Make sure the car tracks straight. Start shooting for 120 after you’re confident there are no problems. Otherwise you’re more likely to crash.

This is an infraction, but the 4D mount fits and contains it nicely. Gearing for the 34T spool is something I haven’t tuned. I run a 40T center diff and still utilize the center lockup brake. You’ll probably be up and over 27T to get to 120mph, depends on supplied voltage..

Personally ran out of gear @ 106mph 27/40, but run a 1515 2200kV on 22V. Every car and ambient conditions will be slightly different.

IMG_0435.jpeg

IMG_0158.jpeg

Last edited:

View attachment 326059
It was in the V2 Limitless but not in the V1. The box was made to fit up to a XLX2 unlike the V1 one is only made to fit the 160a ESC (about the same size as the MMX8S).
The motor mount was also pushed back about 20mm to 30mm to fit bigger and longer motors it was originally designed to fit the 1/5th scale Spektrum motors that are about the same size as the 1717 ones. Now it will fit a 2828 or a long 4070TP.
There are a lot better people on here to answer your questions, so this is just my two cents.
The XLX2 is the top ESC for speed running at the moment. If you are a penny pincher, the MMX8S would do whatever you need at this point, people have used them in single motor cars and done over 150mph. The 1717 1650kv is a great speed run motor, a good balance of a lot of things (size, weight, price, and kv).

I think at the moment you could keep running the set up you have in the car, the Spektrum 160a ESC has been over 100mph on 6S and over 125mph on 8S using a Spektrum 2050kv motor if I can remember correctly.
Unless you are trying to get that last 2% out of your batteries the CNHL ones are the way to go, they are good batteries, and they are affordable you should be able to find a "2X" deal (You have to buy 2 of the same batteries but it makes them up to 30% cheaper) that would be great for what you want to do.
Before you buy anything big, I would try just gearing up and seeing what happens. I don't know what pinion you are running but I would recommend starting with a 29T or 30T and going up one or two tooth a time.

One thing to consider buying is a good transmitter, that is the best purchase I ever made for speed running. I use a NB4 it is about $220, and you can ask anyone on here that has used one and they will tell you that they liked it or liked it for the price (it's hard to say you like a $200 radio over a $700 one). Its fully digital so you aren't messing with diles and there are some channel speed settings built in that you can use. You can have perfect pass built right into your transmitter, I also use the steering adjustments and setting a lot.
@Thatguy did you see my post near the top? It kind of got overrun with the replies and I wanted to make sure you were able to see it.

Last edited:
It was in the V2 Limitless but not in the V1. The box was made to fit up to a XLX2 unlike the V1 one is only made to fit the 160a ESC (about the same size as the MMX8S).
The motor mount was also pushed back about 20mm to 30mm to fit bigger and longer motors it was originally designed to fit the 1/5th scale Spektrum motors that are about the same size as the 1717 ones. Now it will fit a 2828 or a long 4070TP.

@Thatguy did you see my post near the top? It kind of got overrun with the replies and I wanted to make sure you were able to see it.
@TN-RC yeah I did see your post. Thanks for the advice!!

You will want the XLX2 over the MMX8s any time you can.
The XLX2 is far better in power delivery and running cool.

It will fit but you have to trim down some plastics which isn't a big deal...

Just to be clear a 100+mph setup can make 1-2 passes and then needs a cool down.
The best way to do this is to start off running it and slowly gear up and do that progressively. Don't just jump to 120 from your prior 85 mph setup. It does not sound like a big deal but jumping to 120 mph is night and day from 85 mph.

You will also find that the road it covers is greatly increased and your radio equipment might not be up to the task. Hoons also show their weak side at those speeds. You will likely want to swap to GRP tires and make sure they are well-balanced.

just curious, on the top pic, did you just use the same tray and straps for the batteries, or are they different?
I just typed into google images "Limitless XLX2"
Not my cars, but I am sure you could do a similar search on this forum and be able to ask owners what they did for their setups.

Raz has great build video series also that might be worth a look.

That top pic is a limitless V1 and they put the XLX2 in the stock motor location. Flipped motor mount.

I think the second pic is a limitless V2, which has room for XLX2 in stock ESC location.

That top pic is a limitless V1 and they put the XLX2 in the stock motor location. Flipped motor mount.

I think the second pic is a limitless V2, which has room for XLX2 in stock ESC location.

If the criteria is to keep the motor in the stock place and keep both battery trays then that leaves you with 2 options.
Borrow space from the radio box or mount it up top on the center brace (assuming the body still fits there)

There are also conversions for custom battery trays:
1696972751896.png

1696972815750.png

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back