Lost rear wheel drive...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hubdy

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 8S
Good afternoon, so I was doing some casual bashing on the back of the store parking lot. Some time into it I heard some "crunching" noise when turning upder power. So I kept on driving it because I thought that maybe body of the car is rubbing on something and a few minutes later it became a front wheel drive car. I'm pretty sure that the issue is with the rear diff (haven't taken it apart yet.) What usually goes bad/weak on these? Any parts to upgrade while I'm at it?

*It's a V2 Exb rtr kraton running a 12s set up.

Last edited:
Check rear dogbone at the diff cup. I bet you lost the pin in the dogbone

^^This. Might be worth checking the grub screw of the input cup on the rear diff too while you're rummaging around in that area.
Welcome back broham!!

I'll try to check it out later on today, thank you
Should I add some shims? And if so how do I know if it needs any?

Last edited:
So yes the diff is bad lol. Now the question I got, is running thicker diff fluid will make it more durable/longevity increase or not? I think the stock diff fluid is 100k.

IMG_20231124_224532_Bokeh.jpg

IMG_20231124_224547_Bokeh.jpg

Will arrma warranty cover it?🤔

Last edited:
Mine has grenaded the same was twice now anyone know how to get the gears to not eat eachother thicker fluid ,shims, aluminum diff cup?

Yes, please help #save12skraton

Will arrma warranty cover it?
Probably, so long as it’s within the 2yr warranty period and you have your receipt.
Is the cup cracked?

Probably, so long as it’s within the 2yr warranty period and you have your receipt.
Is the cup cracked?
The cup is not cracked. And I'm not sure about the paper copy but I should be able to find the credit card invoice (it's only about 4 months old)
Mine has grenaded the same was twice now anyone know how to get the gears to not eat eachother thicker fluid ,shims, aluminum diff cup?
Interested as well

no the cup is not cracked on mine but this is the second diff that has gone bad and I think I only had 3 packs through it rebuilt to factory spec I’m thinking thicker fluid my though behind that is less rotation on the internal gears therefor less wear but might sacrifice some turning ability and yes I am talking about the rear diff it’s 100k factory

no the cup is not cracked on mine but this is the second diff that has gone bad and I think I only had 3 packs through it rebuilt to factory spec I’m thinking thicker fluid my though behind that is less rotation on the internal gears therefor less wear but might sacrifice some turning ability and yes I am talking about the rear diff it’s 100k factory
Do you know if adding thicked fluid actually relieves the stress off the diff?

Wow, that is an ugly diff you've got there!! Have you ever had it apart before now? You said 4 months old, correct? It should fall under warranty I would think. I wouldn't advertise that you're running 12s in it though. They may try and use that against you. One thing I have found with rtr diffs routinely is loose screws holding the ring gear to the cup, which of course creates all kinds of tolerance issues..and fluid loss. Your's looks to have a decent amount of fluid though. The dark fluid streaks are interesting. I suggest making a warranty claim, worth a shot. What motor esc combo are you running out of curiosity?

Wow, that is an ugly diff you've got there!! Have you ever had it apart before now? You said 4 months old, correct? It should fall under warranty I would think. I wouldn't advertise that you're running 12s in it though. They may try and use that against you. One thing I have found with rtr diffs routinely is loose screws holding the ring gear to the cup, which of course creates all kinds of tolerance issues..and fluid loss. Your's looks to have a decent amount of fluid though. The dark fluid streaks are interesting. I suggest making a warranty claim, worth a shot. What motor esc combo are you running out of curiosity?
Yeah I'll definitely won't mention to the warranty people that I run at 12s setup LOL. Max5 g2 and castle 2028 800kv

Arrma just got back to me. They will be sending me a new diff. And again, much appreciated 👍.
If it happens again I won't try to use the warranty again. Instead will look for a tougher diff set up.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back