Max 5 ESC No Reverse

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trunkmonkey1

Very Active Member
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Fireteam
  3. Infraction
  4. Limitless
  5. Kraton 8S
  6. Kraton EXB
  7. Nero
  8. Outcast EXB
  9. Talion
  10. Talion EXB
  11. Typhon 6s
  12. Typhon TLR
Hey all,

I'm racking my brain trying to figure this out. But I'm stumped. I have a HW Max 5 ESC. After I bind it to my DX5 Pro, the reverse has a time gap of about 3 seconds before it works. If I use the power button and set button on the esc, I don't get any reverse and/or braking. (after doing the neutral/forward/reverse) I'm trying to set this up on my K8s. Motor is a 1100kv from HW.

Hey all,

I'm racking my brain trying to figure this out. But I'm stumped. I have a HW Max 5 ESC. After I bind it to my DX5 Pro, the reverse has a time gap of about 3 seconds before it works. If I use the power button and set button on the esc, I don't get any reverse and/or braking. (after doing the neutral/forward/reverse) I'm trying to set this up on my K8s. Motor is a 1100kv from HW.

So did you set your Sub Trim on your transmitter? And you'll need to check your Rates also ,for throttle.

Set them back to default=0

See how that responds.

So did you set your Sub Trim on your transmitter? And you'll need to check your Rates also ,for throttle.

Set them back to default=0

See how that responds.
I'll try that and get back to you. I've been building this r/c that I just got. Everything was working, except for braking/reverse. Now, when its on, the dx5 pro, starts to buzz. I'm gonna rebind it after I wake up, and see if I can get it going with what you said.

thx.
@Tex Koder - when I try to calibrate the esc, I hold set and press the power button. I then wait for the orange blinking lights, press set for Neutral, go full throttle on tx, press set for forward - but when I try full reverse, and press set, nothing happens.

Last edited:
Have you tried double tapping reverse? hobbywing escs don't go into reverse instantly. For the calibration, Do you have the throttle reversed on the radio?

Have you tried double tapping reverse? hobbywing escs don't go into reverse instantly. For the calibration, Do you have the throttle reversed on the radio?
I have not tried to double tap for reverse. It is not reversed. After I power down and restart, I have full steering and throttle. Just not reverse. I'll try the double tap method, and see what happens.

Thx.

You just need to enable Reverse in the ESC, there are 3 modes. Race mode disables Reverse. You probably accidentally disabled it when you were trying to calibrate the ESC.

Perhaps it would help to install it the other way round? :unsure: Not sure if that works - the cables may be too short. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Calibrate it and use another transmitter to see if that changes something. If not, send it back.

Last edited:
ok - I did the esc calibration first. then, rebound the dx5 pro. nothing. I deleted the r/c in the tx, and bind again. Now, I get steering, forward throttle, but again no brake or reverse. Let it sit for about 20 minutes, and now everything works. wtf is all I gotta say.

You just need to enable Reverse in the ESC, there are 3 modes. Race mode disables Reverse. You probably accidentally disabled it when you were trying to calibrate the ESC.
This. Double check with a program card how the esc is programmed.

This. Double check with a program card how the esc is programmed.
I have checked. Like 20 times. Everything is ok, and set correctly. I'm just glad it works now. Now, I can't wait for things to break. LOL - gonna upgrade lot's o' stuff.

Last edited:
I have checked. Like 20 times. Everything is ok, and set correctly. I'm just it works now. Now, I can't wait for things to break. LOL - gonna upgrade lot's o' stuff.
Glad to hear. To be honest l, I had the same issue with the same esc and transmitter. Then I programmed everything after I finally got it calibrated.

BTF SIR!!! Thank you!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back