Max 5 G2 non sensored set up

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hubdy

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 8S
I heard that Max5 g2 esc has some issues running non sensored motors and I heard that there is a proper way that it could be worked around. Can someone chime in on this?

Where did you see or hear this?
Merely using any NON Sensored motor without sensor leads should always work. Plug and play. No ESC settings need to be made. It just works. You can even run the comboo motor in Non sensored mode by not connecting thes ensor leads.
If it doesn't work , perhaps the Kv value and gearing of the Non sensored motor in question was at fault. Or simply was a bad Non sensored motor out the gate. More probable. Not the Max 5 G2. I never heard of anything to the contrary.
Again, where did you see this?
I am skeptical of RC urban Myths professed by one person and it propogates BS all over the interweb.

Last edited:
Where did you see or hear this?
Merely using any NON Sensored motor without sensor leads should always work. Plug and play. No ESC settings need to be made. It just works. You can even run the comboo motor in Non sensored mode by not connecting thes ensor leads.
If it doesn't work , perhaps the Kv value and gearing of the Non sensored motor in question was at fault. Or simply was a bad Non sensored motor out the gate. More probable. Not the Max 5 G2. I never heard of anything to the contrary.
Again, where did you see this?
I am skeptical of RC urban Myths professed by one person and it propogates BS all over the interweb.
I have seen a couple of comments on YouTube about this, not sure how accurate they were though. But thank you for clarifying that.

Can you link the YT vids in regards?
I like to vet this stuff for myself.
And sift through the possible BS that it is.
Being a HW guy for the most part, I am big into the HW sensored ESC combos myself. Most are the Zerun HW stuff.

Definitely will do if I'll find them again. I like my max5 g2 in my k8 but I'm running sensored, I'm going to put one in my xmaxx as well so just wanted to confirm it first.

I run the max 5 g2 with a tp 5870 750kv non sensored motor on 12s in a dbxl with zero problems and I didn't have to do anything special. I just bought a max 5 g2 for the k8s as well. Going to run it with a tp 5860 800kv on 12s.

I run the max 5 g2 with a tp 5870 750kv non sensored motor on 12s in a dbxl with zero problems and I didn't have to do anything special. I just bought a max 5 g2 for the k8s as well. Going to run it with a tp 5860 800kv on 12s.
Would that monster fit in the kraton?

yep! don't think you need to do anything special to fit the esc, its similar size to the old max 5.
I already have the Max5 g2 installed in it and running castle 2028 800kv. I meant to ask if the tp5860 would fit? And is it an improvement over the 2028?

I already have the Max5 g2 installed in it and running castle 2028 800kv. I meant to ask if the tp5860 would fit? And is it an improvement over the 2028?
The tp 5860 is basically the same size as the castle 2028. The 5870 probably won't fit though. I think it's better to get a tp motor if for no other reason than it's cheaper because the sensor on the castle motor IS going to die eventually. I have a castle 2028 in my kraton right now and the sensor being dead has caused me so many problems and I had no idea what it was until i randomly decided to unplug it lol. TP motors also tend to feel smooth even without a sensor.

I run 5860 tp motors 800kv with max5 g2's at 12s. This is pretty recent but Ive enjoyed them. No issues.

On the Kraton and Outcast. 2 EXB's and now the V2's are 12s.

Last edited:
On the Kraton and Outcast. 2 EXB's and now the V2's are 12s.
How are the motor temperatures? My castle runs a little warm, I'm in Florida and ambient temperature are in the '90s so motor gets warm fairly quickly, fans do help but I'm trying to find a good alternative if castle goes out.

My 800kv Y winds run a bit cooler than my D winds
(Not much) but nonetheless cooler.
I run 35/39 gearing and temps are great! It was around 85 degrees when I took these pictures of temps and mph. I do run fans. This was at 75% throttle and managed 56mph in the grass. Eventually ill drop to a 33t pinion. I was just in Orlando last week. Still hot and humid there. (Truck driver)
Screenshot_20230922_100846_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230922_100905_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230922_100937_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
My 800kv Y winds run a bit cooler than my D winds
(Not much) but nonetheless cooler.
I run 35/39 gearing and temps are great! It was around 85 degrees when I took these pictures of temps and mph. I do run fans. This was at 75% throttle and managed 56mph in the grass. Eventually ill drop to a 33t pinion. I was just in Orlando last week. Still hot and humid there. (Truck driver) View attachment 323447View attachment 323448View attachment 323450
What's Y and D winds?

What's Y and D winds?
It's the way the motor wires are wound on the inside of the motor. I don't know the exact differences but I know Y winds are easier to make and typically run cooler and less amps. TP motors state which wind each motor is on the motor page.

https://www.tppowerusa.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=20_71_146&product_id=483

I have this coming in the mail for my kraton 8s right now and it's the same motor @GNT1 was talking about. I got the sensored version in a 12s on road rig =D

What's Y and D winds?

On my Outcast EXB 12s I wanted to run some really big/heavy tires. Its my understanding that the D wind was more efficient in producing torque. Yeah,I know gearing can do the same, just a different way to get down the same road. I read alot on the tp motors and became intrigued with the D wind and decided to try and manage temps with gearing and fans. Im fairly new to the RC game myself but figured nothing ventured nothing gained. I went with D wind on my 1st 12s and Y wind on my 2nd 12s. All I can say is the D wind is my preferred of the two. Just gobs of power through the whole rpm range. 45mph and I can nail the throttle and the powers there on demand. Only real difference in the two builds is ones a Kraton and the others an Outcast. My D wind(Outcast) is 745kv with 35/39 gearing. My Y wind is 800kv with 35/39 gearing. don't get me wrong both are powerful but the D wind is far more fun to drive. According to TP the specs as far as KV and amperage are fairly similar. Only difference is resistance as far as numbers. From my understaing the Y wind can handle more timing,where as the D wind don't tolerate it as well. Would adding timing to the Y wind make a huge difference? Honestly I couldnt tell you. Maybe someone with more knowledge could answer that.🤷

IMO D wind FTW!!
I'll attach the specs on both motors. As you'll see theres not a whole lot of difference. Yes,Im sure theres tons of variables to consider but the mind dyno says the D wind is more of a rush to operate.
Screenshot_20230923_032030_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230923_032107_Chrome.jpg

It's the way the motor wires are wound on the inside of the motor. I don't know the exact differences but I know Y winds are easier to make and typically run cooler and less amps. TP motors state which wind each motor is on the motor page.

https://www.tppowerusa.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=20_71_146&product_id=483

I have this coming in the mail for my kraton 8s right now and it's the same motor @GNT1 was talking about. I got the sensored version in a 12s on road rig =D

Nice! Id like to see the sensored version.👍😎
Enjoy that badboy.

Last edited:
I see the have an option for open or closed vents, what's that?

I see the have an option for open or closed vents, what's that?
Sealed vents only
On my Outcast EXB 12s I wanted to run some really big/heavy tires. Its my understanding that the D wind was more efficient in producing torque. Yeah,I know gearing can do the same, just a different way to get down the same road. I read alot on the tp motors and became intrigued with the D wind and decided to try and manage temps with gearing and fans. Im fairly new to the RC game myself but figured nothing ventured nothing gained. I went with D wind on my 1st 12s and Y wind on my 2nd 12s. All I can say is the D wind is my preferred of the two. Just gobs of power through the whole rpm range. 45mph and I can nail the throttle and the powers there on demand. Only real difference in the two builds is ones a Kraton and the others an Outcast. My D wind(Outcast) is 745kv with 35/39 gearing. My Y wind is 800kv with 35/39 gearing. don't get me wrong both are powerful but the D wind is far more fun to drive. According to TP the specs as far as KV and amperage are fairly similar. Only difference is resistance as far as numbers. From my understaing the Y wind can handle more timing,where as the D wind don't tolerate it as well. Would adding timing to the Y wind make a huge difference? Honestly I couldnt tell you. Maybe someone with more knowledge could answer that.🤷

IMO D wind FTW!!
I'll attach the specs on both motors. As you'll see theres not a whole lot of difference. Yes,Im sure theres tons of variables to consider but the mind dyno says the D wind is more of a rush to operate. View attachment 323596View attachment 323597

Nice! Id like to see the sensored version.👍😎
Enjoy that badboy.

😎👍🏾

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back