Kraton Max 6 g2 or Max 5 g2 for Kraton 8s exb rtr?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cazrack

Reaction score
So the new g2 ESC's seems to be fixed when used with the sensorless motors

Which ESC should i buy the 6 g2 or 5 g2 for my Kraton 8s exb rtr with old hobbywing 800 kv motor and 39:39 gearing?

max 5 g2, very easy decision.

If you’re not planning on going 10 or 12S, the 6 is fine. Depends on the motor

Max 5 g1 or g2.

whats wrong with the stock motor and esc. mine seems powerful enough
Probably nothing but that's like asking someone why they overclock their CPU & GPU. For the same reason that man climbed Mt. Everest and dogs lick their nuts: because they're there and because they can.

For some reason there is always something that changes just like with women.

So I will first test my Kraton 8s exb rtr with 56113 motor 39:39 and the Max 6 g2
This will be intresting since I will compare it to the Outcast 8s EXB 56113 motor 39:39 with the old Max 5 g1.

At the moment the Kraton uses the new stock firma ESC 8s included with the RC and 39:39 56113 motor , batteries 2 4s 11000 mah gens bashicing 100c.
There is a big difference in the last 25% throttle performance is these trucks, the Kraton goes fine but Outcast has lots of more power.
The Outcast performance is enough for me, Kraton its fine but not as exciting.

The stock kraton exb rtr 8s motor with included heatzink and crap fan with my type driving get very hot, too hot.
If you drive it not as heavy as I do I think with the included speed pinion the stock system is decent.

But once I got the used Outcast 8s EXB with bigger motor 39:39 and max 5 the stock kraton 8s system feelt not as exciting and its motor broke down as well.
Got a new one under warranty from HH.

Edit: Should be noted I don't want/need a massive overpowerd system, its more about getting as much power as possible while its still driveable like a big (clumsy racer) with offroad capability.

Last edited:
So this will be intresting, if its not enough it goes in another RC.

IMG_4962.jpeg

the stock ESC is stuck on the plastic plate with some extrem glue or dubbled sided tape.

:-/

Last edited:
The solution

IMG_4965.jpeg

Well everything installed and basic set, too late to test now but tomorrow probably.
The bluetooth connection to ESC is nice, throttle calibration with power button also nice.

Last edited:
Keep us updated on the performance of the Max6 G2 on your K8. Currently, I'm facing the same dilemma and not sure whether to go with the Max5 G1 or Max6 G2, but in my case, it's for my XRT.

Keep us updated on the performance of the Max6 G2 on your K8. Currently, I'm facing the same dilemma and not sure whether to go with the Max5 G1 or Max6 G2, but in my case, it's for my XRT.

If you’re gonna stick with the stock XRT motor, I’d go max6. If you’re going bigger, max5.

The max 6 g2 is basically the same as the old max 5 g1. Both are 200a and 8s, not sure which one has better cooling and the max 6 g2 has sensor capability, bluetooth etc etc. I'd pick the max 6 g2 and hope it doesn't run hot.

If you’re gonna stick with the stock XRT motor, I’d go max6. If you’re going bigger, max5.
The max 6 g2 is basically the same as the old max 5 g1. Both are 200a and 8s, not sure which one has better cooling and the max 6 g2 has sensor capability, bluetooth etc etc. I'd pick the max 6 g2 and hope it doesn't run hot.
Right now, I'm really enjoying how my XRT handles with the stock motor. Another reason I'm sticking with it is because I don't want to spend extra money just to upgrade to a bigger motor. So, I reckon the Max6 G2 should do the job fine for now. But, if I do decide to go with the Max6 G2 and pair it up with the stock motor while running them non-sensored, will there be any issues like delay or cogging, similar to what happened with the Max5 G2 running with a non-sensored motor? That's why I'm considering the Max5 G1, especially since it's on clearance sale at my local hobby shop and the price is lower than the Max6 G2. However, I'm also intrigued by the new features on the Max6 and how compact they are, which could just be plug and play compared to the Max5. So yeah, that's the situation I'm trying to figure out.

Btw @Moirae, how's your 12S XRT holding up? Any issues?

Right now, I'm really enjoying how my XRT handles with the stock motor. Another reason I'm sticking with it is because I don't want to spend extra money just to upgrade to a bigger motor. So, I reckon the Max6 G2 should do the job fine for now. But, if I do decide to go with the Max6 G2 and pair it up with the stock motor while running them non-sensored, will there be any issues like delay or cogging, similar to what happened with the Max5 G2 running with a non-sensored motor? That's why I'm considering the Max5 G1, especially since it's on clearance sale at my local hobby shop and the price is lower than the Max6 G2. However, I'm also intrigued by the new features on the Max6 and how compact they are, which could just be plug and play compared to the Max5. So yeah, that's the situation I'm trying to figure out.

Btw @Moirae, how's your 12S XRT holding up? Any issues?
I'm not sure if the max 6 g2 have the same problem but they did release a patch for the max 5 g2 so I wouldn't worry about it. My 12s xrt still going strong with stock diffs. It's been pretty damn durable tbh.

I'm not sure if the max 6 g2 have the same problem but they did release a patch for the max 5 g2 so I wouldn't worry about it. My 12s xrt still going strong with stock diffs. It's been pretty damn durable tbh.
I follow the Hobbywing FB page where guys will join just to complain.

That being said, none of the common Max 5 G2 complaints have continued with the M6G2. Seems Hobbywing was able to resolve any potential repeat issues.

Using latest firmware that the esc came with I am having some minor cogging at very slow consistent speed with sensorless 56113 motor but nothing that prevents acceleration or use of it, its really super slippery now with more ice than snow on the surface here since its been warmer and no more snow.

I think I got less cogging turning up throttle trim to max on dx3 transmitter until the limit it started moving by itself.

I have the belted X rocket tires on as well, I do think its quick enough for me now but its hard to determine power now since it so slippery.
When I get better traction I will have better info.

According to ESC I pulled max current 234.9 Amps and 45674 rpm one time I checked with the app and bluetooth connected.
EDIT: Motor under 100 farenheit with laser heatgun when heavy on use the throttle with 2 batteries gen ace bashing 4s 11000 mah 100 c
EDIT: Correction on the ESC temp the data logger from a number of runs show ESC temp between 130-149 farenheit.

But I need good winter weather or non winter weather to really know what i think of it.
Switched ESC bec from 6 volt to 8,4 volt, motor fans started to spin faster and servo turned better, stock servo is ok with 8,4 volt.

Ill try again later today, will try different punch settings.

Last edited:
Back