Max 5 G2 non sensored set up

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where did you see or hear this?
Merely using any NON Sensored motor without sensor leads should always work. Plug and play. No ESC settings need to be made. It just works. You can even run the comboo motor in Non sensored mode by not connecting thes ensor leads.
If it doesn't work , perhaps the Kv value and gearing of the Non sensored motor in question was at fault. Or simply was a bad Non sensored motor out the gate. More probable. Not the Max 5 G2. I never heard of anything to the contrary.
Again, where did you see this?
I am skeptical of RC urban Myths professed by one person and it propogates BS all over the interweb.
Screenshot_2023-10-01-13-55-52-56_f9ee0578fe1cc94de7482bd41accb329.jpg

I have 2 non sensored max 5 g2 rigs on 12s. Both are paired with a TP motor and both have zero delayed power problems. This is my first time seeing someone complain about it but I have seen people complaining about a power delay while using the full max 5 g2 combo. Aldo on youtube for example has been complaining about it and I noticed something similar on my max 8 g2 combo but it's weird because I don't have that problem in my 12s xrt using the same 800kv combo aldo has.

In fact, I test drove my 12s kraton last night with max 5 g2 + tp 5860 motor and it felt so smooth I was mind blown. If someone told me it was sensored I would have believed them.

I have 2 non sensored max 5 g2 rigs on 12s. Both are paired with a TP motor and both have zero delayed power problems. This is my first time seeing someone complain about it but I have seen people complaining about a power delay while using the full max 5 g2 combo. Aldo on youtube for example has been complaining about it and I noticed something similar on my max 8 g2 combo but it's weird because I don't have that problem in my 12s xrt using the same 800kv combo aldo has.

In fact, I test drove my 12s kraton last night with max 5 g2 + tp 5860 motor and it felt so smooth I was mind blown. If someone told me it was sensored I would have believed them.
Yeah same here, I have max5 g2 and castle 2028 800kv running 12s and my brother has max5 g2 800kv combo and they both run fine sensored. I was just curious about the non sensored part.

It's the way the motor wires are wound on the inside of the motor. I don't know the exact differences but I know Y winds are easier to make and typically run cooler and less amps. TP motors state which wind each motor is on the motor page.

https://www.tppowerusa.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=20_71_146&product_id=483

I have this coming in the mail for my kraton 8s right now and it's the same motor @GNT1 was talking about. I got the sensored version in a 12s on road rig =D
+1
Most RTR and cheaper motors are Y Wound. When you get into the expensive Exotic motors you will find some are D wound. Usually Hand wound. You generally don't want to add any Motor timing with D wound motors. Advancing Timing with D wound motors have been an issue in general. Discovered with CC and D wound motors a few years back. Some food for thought. Always drop Motor timing down, when you have issues. First thing to check. No matter the type of winding. Evaluate from there.

Last edited:
+1
Most RTR and cheaper motors are Y Wound. When you get into the expensive Exotic motors you will find some are D wound. Usually Hand wound. You generally don't want to add any Motor timing with D wound motors. Some food for thought. Always drop Motor timing down, when you have issues. First thing to check. No matter the type of winding. Evaluate from there.
Yea I've started to just run 0 timing on basically everything unless I know for sure it's a y wind. :cool:

+1
Most RTR and cheaper motors are Y Wound. When you get into the expensive Exotic motors you will find some are D wound. Usually Hand wound. You generally don't want to add any Motor timing with D wound motors. Some food for thought. Always drop Motor timing down, when you have issues. First thing to check. No matter the type of winding. Evaluate from there.
So for a 12s set up D wind would work fine leaving timing at 0?

Timing is a very undisclosed unpublished setting, that many have no clue how it works, and the advantages, if any. Timing can really cook any motor. Zero or lowest value is best place to always start. Be very conservative if you do play with the timing values. Timing increases RPM's slightly, yet increases heat much more so, often with very little gain in performance at all. For bashing purposes, leave timing all the way down.
With Speed Running, advancing timing might get you that .5-1 or 2 MPH faster PB. Once you tried all else. :cool:

What would be a good D wind 12 capable TP motor? And what's the KV I should look for?I mainly run my kraton on open grass fields.
And looking on TP motor specs it seems like 12s set up like higher voltage capable motors so 745kv D wind would be the choice?

Last edited:
What would be a good D wind 12 capable TP motor? And what's the KV I should look for?I mainly run my kraton on open grass fields.
And looking on TP motor specs it seems like 12s set up like higher voltage capable motors so 745kv D wind would be the choice?
the 745 or the 850! I'd probably pick the 745 though.

I run the 745 in my EXB. I run it off the max4. That motor is a beast!!

20231001_171518.jpg

Hopefully max5 g2 will run it fine cuz I ordered the 745kv

Nice! I went with the 745kv cuz the tires are heavy as hell. Figured the more torque the better.

Yeah this would probably would be my next motor after castle goes.

Did you make motor wire extensions yourself or bought it from some where? (Do you have a link if you bought it)
Radiocontrolpower.com has extension

These electronics arent far from a new personal vehicle. Sometimes the latest and greatest isnt always best. Generally when I buy a new car I wait a couple years on the current generation. Let them work the bugs out. Max5 V1 is tried and true.

I have 4 12s rigs. 2 with the Max4 and 2 with the Max5 g2.
Zero cogging here. Zero issues of any kind so far. 🤷
TP motors in all of them.

Just make sure you update your Max5 and calibrate it. I wouldnt worry too much about it. I had to update both of mine right out of the box.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back