Max5 esc with 800kv or 1100kv

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dunsparth

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton EXB
  2. Outcast EXB
  3. Typhon 6s
Just purchased a outcast exb
And wanting to purchase a max5 combo to throw in it, wondering what would be better for somebody that plays mostly on dirt/gravel.
I think I’m going to start my gearing off at 30/39 and go from there.

you'd be happier with 30/39 on the 1100kv. The 800kv is bigger, probably runs cooler and should have more torque but it's harder to gear and heavier. You'll most likely be happy with either one.

you'd be happier with 30/39 on the 1100kv. The 800kv is bigger, probably runs cooler and should have more torque but it's harder to gear and heavier. You'll most likely be happy with either one.
1100kv seems to be slightly cheaper also.
And I just read somewhere that with the 800kv you have to use a dremal to make it fit properly and don’t know if I really want to do that

Last edited:
1100kv seems to be slightly cheaper also.
And I just read somewhere that with the 800kv you have to use a dermal to make it fit properly and don’t know if I really want to do that
You can just upgrade the bellcrank and it will fit.

I believe the hot racing bellcrankn will give you more than enough room to mount the 800kv if you so choose. I previoulsy had the spektrum 1100kv motor before installing the hobbywing 800kv motor. much better temps wise especially in the southern US and also anything from 30/39 to 39/39 is fine for 80pkg running at 45+ mph. currently runningn saga custom 34 with 39 spur. last run at 55mph and temps were good with motor(with dual fans) at 140 and esc at 118 at about 87 degrees with 19 minute run. 1100kv can be fine but if you live anywhere hot id go with 800kv for temps alone.

FWIW I have the Max5 with 800kv and 39/39 in both my OC and Kraton EXB's. No complaints but I don't have anything to compare to. I've been happy enough to not change anything.

FWIW I have the Max5 with 800kv and 39/39 in both my OC and Kraton EXB's. No complaints but I don't have anything to compare to. I've been happy enough to not change anything.
No complaints meaning you’re able to exceed stock speeds by a healthy margin and also keep temps down? I’ve been reading this forum and other forums for days on the 1100kv vs 800kv debate and man it’s exhausting to figure out the best option

Overall it seems like most people run the 1100kv in their K8S, but I don’t understand why. I’m not going for speed records, so i think having the higher torque of the 800kv and gearing it up would work best for running mostly on grass fields

No complaints meaning you’re able to exceed stock speeds by a healthy margin and also keep temps down? I’ve been reading this forum and other forums for days on the 1100kv vs 800kv debate and man it’s exhausting to figure out the best option

Overall it seems like most people run the 1100kv in their K8S, but I don’t understand why. I’m not going for speed records, so i think having the higher torque of the 800kv and gearing it up would work best for running mostly on grass fields
Yeh not overheating and fast enough for me. I bash and send it off ramps a lot. Not really into speed running. I haven't even messed with the gearing. I did put aftermarket fans on the esc after the hw ones started breaking.

I run the Spektrum 1100kv motor and geared at 28/39 in my K8s RTR and I put all my stock stuff in my K8s EXB. It's a good step up from stock, but I do have to watch my temps on hot days. As for the bigger motor, I feel that weight is the big issue and anything that I can do to reduce weight is a good thing in my opinion. So, my new EXB outcast 8s will be here tomorrow and I too am looking at options. I have a Stock O8s RTR now and I like it as is. It's geared up with a 26/47.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back