Outcast MAX5 ESC COMBO??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Moirae - I saw somewhere in a YT review that the HW Max 5 G2 has cogging/ other issues with non-sensored motors. Have you experienced that at all?

@Moirae - I saw somewhere in a YT review that the HW Max 5 G2 has cogging/ other issues with non-sensored motors. Have you experienced that at all?

Nope, Took it out today! 12s kraton with a tp 5860 800kv non sensored, worked perfectly and felt smooth as butter geared 36/39 Punch set to 6/9

Nope, Took it out today! 12s kraton with a tp 5860 800kv non sensored, worked perfectly and felt smooth as butter geared 36/39 Punch set to 6/9
Have you tried it on 8S? I’m curious if it’s noticeably more powerful than the G1.

Have you tried it on 8S? I’m curious if it’s noticeably more powerful than the G1.
I haven't yet but I will say I don't think the max 5 g2 12s is better than xlx2 amps. They seem similar enough to me that I doubt I could tell them a part. I do have lower punch setting on the hw tho. And that's probably a plus for the hw overall as I'd expect it to be more durable and still keep up with the xlx2 for cheaper.

K8s xlx2 1100kv combo geared 31/39 punch control 0%

Vs

K12s max 5 g2 + tp 5860 800kv geared 36/39 punch 6/9

Both with mx43 tires, I actually compared my footage of both rigs and couldn't notice a difference. If I maxed out hw punch it would probably have more umph but if I go any higher on punch I get problems. Probably similar to that cogging and it happens on my kraton 4s with max 8 g2 as well. That's with smc lipos too.

All these new hw esc seem to be allergic to high punch.

I haven't yet but I will say I don't think the max 5 g2 12s is better than xlx2 amps. They seem similar enough to me that I doubt I could tell them a part. I do have lower punch setting on the hw tho. And that's probably a plus for the hw overall as I'd expect it to be more durable and still keep up with the xlx2 for cheaper.

K8s xlx2 1100kv combo geared 31/39 punch control 0%

Vs

K12s max 5 g2 + tp 5860 800kv geared 36/39 punch 6/9

Both with mx43 tires, I actually compared my footage of both rigs and couldn't notice a difference. If I maxed out hw punch it would probably have more umph but if I go any higher on punch I get problems. Probably similar to that cogging and it happens on my kraton 4s with max 8 g2 as well. That's with smc lipos too.

All these new hw esc seem to be allergic to high punch.
What happens when you turn up the punch?

What happens when you turn up the punch?

Go to 4:22 and you will start to see the kraton 4s doing it. It looks exactly the same when it happens to the bigger rigs. I originally thought it was my lipo not keeping up but when I saw it with smc lipo I was lost.

Go to 4:22 and you will start to see the kraton 4s doing it. It looks exactly the same when it happens to the bigger rigs. I originally thought it was my lipo not keeping up but when I saw it with smc lipo I was lost.
That has to be amp limiting right? That’s disappointing.

That has to be amp limiting right? That’s disappointing.
I didnt even think of that! Damn thats probably totally what it is! 😔

@Moirae - do you think the new Hobbywing 5690 would be powerful enough for a 1/5 Outcast 8s? I bought an EXB roller when they were on sale for $400. My local bash spot is mostly sand (which is hard on ESCs/ motors). I am planning to make some upgrades from M2C, but I'm going to try to keep it as light as possible. What are your thoughts?

@Moirae - do you think the new Hobbywing 5690 would be powerful enough for a 1/5 Outcast 8s? I bought an EXB roller when they were on sale for $400. My local bash spot is mostly sand (which is hard on ESCs/ motors). I am planning to make some upgrades from M2C, but I'm going to try to keep it as light as possible. What are your thoughts?

I definitely think it's "enough" but if it was me I'd want to go bigger. That motor is basically the same size as the stock motor which is also made by hobbywing. It's probably the stock motor + sensor making it 3mm longer lol. So Yea it would work and many people bought the last gen version of that motor for use with arrma 8s as well. If it was me I'd be going 58112 =D

I definitely think it's "enough" but if it was me I'd want to go bigger. That motor is basically the same size as the stock motor which is also made by hobbywing. It's probably the stock motor + sensor making it 3mm longer lol. So Yea it would work and many people bought the last gen version of that motor for use with arrma 8s as well. If it was me I'd be going 58112 =D
Makes sense. The motor says it's rated for vehicles up to 42 lbs, but IDK... definitely skeptical about that. And yes, the stock RTR motor 5687 is the same as the 5690. The extra millimeters are for the sensor and sensor cable setup. Same reason the 56113 went to 56118.

My biggest concern with the new Max 5 G2 + 56118 is simply that it's going to be a pain in the a@@ to install because it hits the bell crank. I know M2C has a fix for that, a $65 aftermarket bell crank, but M2C says:

"You will need to install the included flat nut with loctite and grind some clearance as shown. You may have to grind some clearance on the stock tie bar nut, this is not necessary, the gain is tiny, but personal preference."

Is the new Max 5 G2 with the 56118 worth all that hassle vs. dropping in a 58112 from another reputable brand like Castle? I have read everywhere online that the Castle XLX2 is very fussy and catches on fire if you so much as look at it wrong. I've had my Outcast 8s EXB roller for a few months now and the only reason I haven't loaded in electronics is because I have paralysis from analysis (I can't decide what power system to run as I have no experience with 1/5th scale). All my trucks are 1/8 or smaller.

Makes sense. The motor says it's rated for vehicles up to 42 lbs, but IDK... definitely skeptical about that. And yes, the stock RTR motor 5687 is the same as the 5690. The extra millimeters are for the sensor and sensor cable setup. Same reason the 56113 went to 56118.

My biggest concern with the new Max 5 G2 + 56118 is simply that it's going to be a pain in the a@@ to install because it hits the bell crank. I know M2C has a fix for that, a $65 aftermarket bell crank, but M2C says:

"You will need to install the included flat nut with loctite and grind some clearance as shown. You may have to grind some clearance on the stock tie bar nut, this is not necessary, the gain is tiny, but personal preference."

Is the new Max 5 G2 with the 56118 worth all that hassle vs. dropping in a 58112 from another reputable brand like Castle? I have read everywhere online that the Castle XLX2 is very fussy and catches on fire if you so much as look at it wrong. I've had my Outcast 8s EXB roller for a few months now and the only reason I haven't loaded in electronics is because I have paralysis from analysis (I can't decide what power system to run as I have no experience with 1/5th scale). All my trucks are 1/8 or smaller.
I personally think the hw motor is not worth it at all once you factor in the m2c bellcrank kit. This is why I went with a tp motor instead, the castle motor is also a great choice. Its on sale on amazon right now to be even cheaper than the TP option so it's definitely a strong contender. I'm assuming you will want to try 12s someday so I would say grab that castle 800kv, get you a hobbywing sensor cable adapter and have a blast. I know aldo on youtube tried both the hw 800kv and castle 800kv motors with the max 5 g2 and he thought the castle motor felt stronger.

I’d go Max5 G2 and Castle 2028 if I was building one now.

Cool. I just ordered the Max 5 G2 and Castle 800kv. Thanks, guys! Very helpul.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back