Max6 ESC Throttle Cut Twice In One Run With Low Temps 🤷🏻‍♂️

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djrahbee

Send-Flip-Break-Fix-Repeat 🤙🏼
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Kraton 8S
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Kraton EXB
  5. Mojave
  6. Outcast 4s
  7. Outcast 8s
  8. Outcast EXB
  9. Infraction 4x4
I was running my K6 today got about 10 min in and throttle cut just like the Spektrum esc's have before. Usually that means it's too hot. It's a chilly low 40's and breezy. Temp gun said high 80's and low 90's. Green light blinked in series of 5. I have the thermal cut off for esc set to high setting. Could it be the stock fan not providing enough air?? Is there something wrong with it?? Should I reset the esc?? The only thing I can find when I search for 5 blinking green lights...is people referencing a 4 green blink series. I sat on the porch looking it up on my phone and the greens lights stopped within 5 minutes and throttle worked again. I haven't experienced this before with my Hobbywing stuff. I might have 3/4 packs through a brand new Max6 Combo..🤷🏻‍♂️

Set the thermal cut off to low and you’ll have no more issues.
I thought "High" was the correct setting for that?? Either way it wasn't even close the thos temps..
Screen Shot 2023-03-04 at 7.05.57 PM.png

I thought "High" was the correct setting for that?? Either way it wasn't even close the thos temps..
View attachment 283066
Sorry, I got my words backwards there use the one that you have circled.
I had similar problems with the max6 so I just gave up and just put in a castle mmx8s and have had it for 8 months with zero issues.
And try your auto Lipo cut off voltage in the low setting that will help as well.

Man...I thought I had everything already setup. I set high thermal and low LVC thinking that would fix it, then it happened again. Then a third time but it was LVC. I'll just give it another shot tomorrow and see what happens. Hopefully it's just me being a ding dong.🙄

Man...I thought I had everything already setup. I set high thermal and low LVC thinking that would fix it, then it happened again. Then a third time but it was LVC. I'll just give it another shot tomorrow and see what happens. Hopefully it's just me being a ding dong.🙄
I agree. Best of luck to you tomorrow.

Cuts as in no throttle and no steering?

How many amps are you pulling through BEC?
Yeh no throttle or reverse but servo still works. I had it on 6.0v then changed it to 7.4v thinking that might help. I have a promodeler servo that can handle it so I didn't think it would hurt.
Screen Shot 2023-03-04 at 7.33.43 PM.png

Cuts as in no throttle and no steering?

How many amps are you pulling through BEC?
It cut out the second time about 10ft in the air and fell like a sack of bricks, smacked the fkn ground pretty hard! 🛩

Last edited:
Try a different known better lipo and see if it still does it, might be pulling into LVC if it’s happening under heavy load.

Try a different known better lipo and see if it still does it, might be pulling into LVC if it’s happening under heavy load.
Ah..never thought of that. It has started to puff a little.

You'd be surprised how little the external ESC temp has to do with its actual internal temp.
You are easily in the 200F range with external 90F (@40F ambient).
Gear down for whatever you are doing, it's too much to handle.

You'd be surprised how little the external ESC temp has to do with its actual internal temp.
You are easily in the 200F range with external 90F (@40F ambient).
Gear down for whatever you are doing, it's too much to handle.
Hmmm...I will definitely consider and keep that in mind. I think I have a 20t pinion. It was fine first couple runs.

Go with 18T, been using it for a while, and it's a happy medium between too much heat and runtime.

I ditched the Max6 ESC long time ago as it overheated faster than anything else I've used. No idea why people keep recommending it.
Anyhow, Max6 motor and 18T is where you want to be at.

Go with 18T, been using it for a while, and it's a happy medium between too much heat and runtime.

I ditched the Max6 ESC long time ago as it overheated faster than anything else I've used. No idea why people keep recommending it.
Anyhow, Max6 motor and 18T is where you want to be at.
Well alrighty then. 🤦🏻‍♂️ Figured I'd experiment with Castle sooner or later..I was just hoping it would be much later. Thanks for the suggestions!

I ditched the Max6 ESC long time ago as it overheated faster than anything else I've used.
I ordered one of these the other day in anticipation the stock fans would crap out soon. Do these help? I got a couple for my Max5's as well.

Screen Shot 2023-03-04 at 10.28.41 PM.png

Got the 5 green flashes on the Max6 aswell. Car just shut off.

Is in a 4s Limitless and a 1650kv Hobbywing. It's pretty warm today. Geared for about 105km/h but pavement bashing.
ESC temp were under 50 deg C. But that's external measurement so I don't think it means too much anyway.

I assume it's a thermal shutdown. Seemed OK when disconnecting and trying again. Was just wondering about the 5 green flashes??

Lipo is a 120C CNHL 8000mAh. Wheels are the Louise shiv - first run today. Very grippy on pavement and it seems the MAX6 can't handle it.

So I am considering puttin a MAX5 into the Limitless/Felony. Just very heavy for such a rig. Don't quite trust the MMX8s or XLX2 for bashing. I run on 4s - a basher that should always work, no thermal shutdown, lots of accelerating and braking, turns etc. Or any better idea for an ESC?

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back