Max6 ESC Throttle Cut Twice In One Run With Low Temps 🤷🏻‍♂️

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When its Hot weather out....Need to gear down, or allow for frequent cool downs. Just is what it is... the nature of the beast.
Also, advisable to Lower the ESC Motor timing considerably, if not all the way, trial and error.. Does your ESC have Timing Parameters? Advanced motor timing really heats things up. And drop the Punch/Torque control lower if not all the way down. For dedicated Speed running passes, you always drop the Punch completely down. I don't see why you have heat issues with 4s packs.
What are your motor temps?
What gearing you running?>>> Could be drawing too much in amps, along with the hot weather.
Maybe a few tweaks with a better fan is better than looking to another ESC, altogether, It may not solve your problem. Try tweaking better first.
What happens if you run 6s packs? Just to see what happens. Generally, the higher the volts the less amps. The lower the volts the higher the amp draw. High amp draw increases heat to some degree.
Start with pinion changes and tweaking the ESC better.
If you haven't, why would you quickly jump to a new ESC???:unsure:

Last edited:
Basically it's a Limitless V2 converted to a Felony. That means mit a 1650KV motor I took the smallest possible gearing and top speed is about 105km/h on 4s. So gearing down is not an option (see update below). I'd have to check. Also increased spur size to get the speed down. Motor timing can't be set on the MAX6. Punch down makes sense. No dedicates speed running with this rig. 6s would be too much for the Max6 and bashing. Just sliding, accelerating, racing around on parking lot without having to worry about temperatures. Had hoons on the rig before but now with the Louise tarmac tires the grip is a lot better but that drives up the Amps. Also like the handling with these tires better. Might have to go back to hoons in summer...

For speed runs I have another Limitless V2 with XLX2 and TP motor.

I just recently blew the caps on a Max6 on 8s. No heat warning. So I am a bit wary of using the MAX6 here.

Update, a day later:
I checked what I had installed.

• 47T spur
  • 32T pinion
  • 4s
  • 1650kv 4985
  • Max6 ESC
  • Tire diameter: 103mm Louise / Duratrax Tarmac
  • Diff Pinion: 15T, Spur Pinion: 42T
= Calculated speed 107,5km/h

That is on the high side for very grippy tires on tarmac with a MAX6 at 30 deg C with constant acceleration and braking.
I can install a smaller pinion, enough space. 26T fits. Got one here: Calculated speed with it is 87,3km/h.

Last edited:
Got the 27 T pinion. With Louise Tarmaic 103mm diameter tires. They are very grippy.
Calculated top speed is 87km/h. Which is alot for street car with grippy tires bashing at what the car gives.
After about half the Lipo the Max6 ESC gets coggy. Temperatures are OK. Well a bit difficult to measure ESC temperature as the Aluminium is coldest on the outside. About 60 deg C. Before that it works perfect. Punch down to 1 from 3. Makes no difference.

Do I simply need a bigger ESC?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back