Kraton Max6 Smoked out 2 minutes into maybe 10th pack

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jluther@becoinc

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Senton 6s
  2. Talion
I have been through three Max6 esc’s in two months. The other two I take the blame for but this one I don’t think so. I put a new balance charged SMC LIPO in and it drove great for about 1 minute. Then smoke started pouring out. I thought my brand new battery was burning but when I got to it was done smoking. Battery is fine I just bashed around my XL KRATON with it
I was running my fans from a separate 3s battery so nothing was plugged into the esc program and fan. I am sending pics so hopefully someone can tell me what went wrong

image.jpg

773AAE73-A05D-4BAD-85CF-3EC73C2F6DCC.jpeg

One of the sockets (or whatever they're called, not a native speaker..) for the motor wires looks like it got ripped off or something. This might have led to a short somehow?

One of the sockets (or whatever they're called, not a native speaker..) for the motor wires looks like it got ripped off or something. This might have led to a short somehow?
That came out as I was pulling the leads out to get it out of the way so I can put a new one back in. I also have a old esc test and make sure the rest of my electronics ain’t Fried. It never ends $$$$$&$$&&&& LOL 😂

Dude, I honestly don’t understand how you smoked three Max 6 ESC’s in short order. A lot more info is required here. What motor are you running, and are you geared to Mars? Maybe Pluto? The Max 6 is arguably the most reliable, faiilsafe ESC out there. Give us some info, man.

Dude, I honestly don’t understand how you smoked three Max 6 ESC’s in short order. A lot more info is required here. What motor are you running, and are you geared to Mars? Maybe Pluto? The Max 6 is arguably the most reliable, faiilsafe ESC out there. Give us some info, man.
And are you running a cap pack?

How was your fan installed ?? Do you have any pictures of prior fire installation?

That sucks any way you dice it though.. 3 esc’s … whew.. that’s a lot.. I’ve got numerous max 6 esc’s from all kinds of different batches and I’ve never had one smoke out like this.

Also have them in multiple different rigs.. 🤔 I wanna help get to the bottom of this !

I’m running the 4985 with 22/46 gearing with 2 40 mm Powerhobby twister fans. One on the ESC and one on the motor off a separate 3s battery. Truck never runs hot. I did put a little WD/40 silicone quick dry on the pinion and spur. Can WD/40 mess one up? I only sprayed a drop or two

I’m running the 4985 with 22/46 gearing with 2 40 mm Powerhobby twister fans. One on the ESC and one on the motor off a separate 3s battery. Truck never runs hot. I did put a little WD/40 silicone quick dry on the pinion and spur. Can WD/40 mess one up? I only sprayed a drop or two
I wouldn’t think so. I’m scratching my head. Maybe the 4985 (what KV?) is pulling too many amps? Are you running 8s?

I wouldn’t think so. I’m scratching my head. Maybe the 4985 (what KV?) is pulling too many amps? Are you running 8s?
I’m running 6s. I just tried an old Max6 and as soon as I turned power on I saw smoke coming from near the receiver. The wire coming from the esc melted and the servo wire melted. The servo is dead shorted the wires weren’t melted when I first took it apart but I do have that Blowout on the esc right beside the fan and program pins. Would a servo taking a dump cause the whole system to crap out? If you look closely whatever made those holes came from inside out.
I’m going to send it back just to see what really happened. It’s practically brand new.
I have Max6’s that are four years old and never had one blow out. Not once did this on go into thermal

image.jpg

I’ve only ever run a cap pack on one Max 6, and I’m still convinced it was unnecessary.

If they do, then I'm in bad shape. I have no pack on my Kraton EXB, Fireteam, TLR, and next the Talion. But on all except for one I am running just 2050kv motor.

I’m running 6s. I just tried an old Max6 and as soon as I turned power on I saw smoke coming from near the receiver. The wire coming from the esc melted and the servo wire melted. The servo is dead shorted the wires weren’t melted when I first took it apart but I do have that Blowout on the esc right beside the fan and program pins. Would a servo taking a dump cause the whole system to crap out? If you look closely whatever made those holes came from inside out.
I’m going to send it back just to see what really happened. It’s practically brand new.
I have Max6’s that are four years old and never had one blow out. Not once did this on go into thermal

View attachment 254841
Maybe so? A dead short might do it, but it’d be wild if it was smoking ESC’s without melting the wires first. Disconnect the servo, repair the ESC receiver plug and power it up again, see what happens. Got a spare servo hanging around? Throw it in just so all electronics are represented and see what happens.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back