One cell dropped to 2.92v (!?) after bashing. What should I do?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@jkflow Thanks a lot for your thoughts, much appreciated!

c) What if tell you... that Tra**as does mention it in the manual :D

1709632545622.png

It only takes a minute to wire a 12V automotive bulb to an EC5 connector, and it works great as a safe battery discharger. Way better than the salt water method.

@Neelis Nice! How much does it consume per hour when discharging?
These bulbs (H7 car bulb) are rated at 55 watts @ 12 volts each lamp. That is 110 watt / 12 volt = 9.16 amps

As a full 3s battery delivery 12.6 volt, the 9 amps is applicable.

I discharge a fully charged 3s 5000mah (5 ah) battery from 4.2 volt to 3.8 volt per cell, in 15-20 minutes.

@jkflow Thanks a lot for your thoughts, much appreciated!

c) What if tell you... that Tra**as does mention it in the manual :D

View attachment 352620
Oh wow, that level of incompetence at Traxxas is stunning. By all means, salt water does conducts current and yes it will discharge a battery.
Fresh water or throwing into a lake won't do it (seen people do it).
Below 2.8V is ok but still enough energy in it to potentially cause a spark (tin can in trash etc) i.e. I like mine at 0V.
Lightbulb is the way to go, I also have a resistor contraption.

I use the light bulb method discard old or damaged batteries as well, when battery runs down to 0 volts I cut the power leads and solder them together before throwing them in the trash.

Man, this thread is just blind leading the blind.
If you are questioning a battery, get rid of it. Lowes recycles LIPO batteries. Take it now.
Stop buying budget batteries...

Some of the advice here may be the dumbest things I've seen since.... since the last time I was on this site I guess.

“You guys are idiots”

Follows it up with,
IMG_1755.gif

BTW, I dispose my annual batch of dead Lipos by unloading a full clip into a fire pit filled with them, like real people actually have the time to watch a light bulb or drop them off for recycling. 😂

Last edited:
If you are questioning a battery, get rid of it. Lowes recycles LIPO batteries. Take it now.

Some of the advice here may be the dumbest things I've seen since.... since the last time I was on this site I guess.
A rant like this does not help anyone :)
It would be much more useful for everyone if you share your knowledge on the topic.

On a side note, what is considered a budget and a non-budget battery? :)

You must be fun at parties

On a side note, what is considered a budget and a non-budget battery? :)
Rough guide, anything on Amazon or knock-off brand is budget. Advertised at 2000C and they are all in the 15-20C range.
Price alone isn't a good guidance, Spektrum has been expensive junk but they are getting better.

Quality greatly varies from batch to batch and only a few are consistent. Biggest change this year will be Liperior going down to the mediocre or budget status.
Hobbyking will most likely get better in quality again but give it some time. (The lead person switching companies)

Pick your poison and balance the price yourself. Top performance for on-road or high powered stuff (speed or boats).

For 2023, not all inclusive

Top shelf brands: SMC, Admiral, Onyx
Upper mid: Gens_A_ce, CNHL

Budget performance : everything else

budget performance at max price: MaxAmps, Spektrum

@jkflow Thank you, nice info!

The battery in question is a 4s 6600mAh CNHL Racing/Hard case/EC5. Communicating with their support to see what can be done. Today cell #2 dropped even lower after a bash.

No wonder then. These CNHL clowns can't even spell the word battery correct. Plus they poop on their customers :poop:
I'd say, it's very... errr... surprising, when a product label has such a mad typo as a "Batter" 🤪

Discussing the cell low voltage problem with CNHL. Today was even worse after a bash - 3.50 / 2.67 / 3.53 / 3.58 :( I don't think this cell can recover. My expectation is that CNHL sends a new battery.

By all means you are bashing them too hard, you should end when the cells are still able to recover to ~ 3.7V.
You are just killing them and once they are damaged there is no return.

Back