Limitless Mean Machines RC Club - Long term plan to 205 mph

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Clearly it all leads to a GT build. But my plan is to take the open wheel config as far (fast) as I can....and only when I can no longer get faster switch to GT. I already have all the parts as planned...including the chassis extensions / wide chassis as well / and a gt body...
But I want to try this two stage approach, as my goal is to test all limits and understand exactly what has an impact and what doesn't matter so much...so I can only do that in slow small steps unfortunately.

The battery box looks more complicated indeed. But with the esc, I had to design it from scratch (the battery box is from thingyverse and just resized a bit).
The design from scratch however was not the main part....rather the material. Initially I used PLA and a coat of glue. It kept coming apart when I did drilling and cutting. Then I spoke to Tomas (from MGM) and he suggested where to drill the holes.
Then I decided I'm gonna go with PET-G. I had to learn how to print PET-G :) Then I had to figure out the wires and stuff...and what's the best place for them to come out...
Point is....when I say two months...I don't mean it litteraly .... I mean....from when I designed the box and then tweaked the measurements to fit it perfectly (which took some measuring and many prints) then....switching materials....etc....it was quite a slow process. This considering that I work and have kids....which means ... I can't do this when I want to :)

Have you got any suggestions as to my question about the servo?
update?

Yes! Very little time for the project, but things are coming together.
I am at stage one of my project, which is figure out how far I can take the Limitless with an open wheel body. I want to stretch that to the max.
In parallel, I'm doing the GT build which I will share more about later.
So far, I've had only two tests at a racetrack nearby, with a ~450 meter straight...

First test with open wheeler body maxed out @116 mph.
More info and the first test run here:

The second test with open wheeler body maxed out @133 mph.
More info and the second test run here:

I plan my third test, inbetween work and home life sometime next week hopefully.

This config does not use the MGM setup, it uses the XLX2. More info in the links to my youtube channel above.

Sorry for not posting in some time!

Cheers!!!

Unfortunately, my next test will take place on the 29th of June ... as the racetrack is fully booked! However, by that time I have high hopes I will be finishing my GT Limitless to at least test how it works and check some temps and geometry. Also, I will be ordering some new foams and hopefully they will arrive by that time...so I keep my fingers crossed :)

Also, if anyone wants to follow the build more closely, I have a facebook group and a youtube channel. Nothing spectacular, so if you feel enclined to do so :) please join them.

The Facebook group is called Mean Machines RC Club, so please join if you want to.
Link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/www.youtube.comchanneluchhiqp0qd88gbz8

The Youtube channel is called Mean Machines RC Club, so if you want to please like and subscribe (hit the bell too).
Link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHHIqp-0qd8_8gbZ8Vxb_MQ

Thank you!

Hello friends🤗

So, quick update! Last PB is 140 mph, on a 400 meter track! This was achieved in late june, more specifically 29th of June!
I’ve not done any runs since then, as the summer was full with work and holidays with my family and more work and trips!
I will be posting links to the run videos and further modifications, parts and configurations for what now has become two parallel builds, one open wheel build and one dual motor/esc gt build!
I hope to get at least another run in this autumn and then, weather dependend, perhaps a few more as we head for the winter!

Here are the promissed 140mph video, over the same 400 meters track:
Right now I am struggling with a problem...that keeps revolving in my head...strictly about motors...
My current philosophy is that a motor with a reasonable can size (around the 4070 or 1721 size) with a reasonable KV should do the trick, i.e. get to my desired result...of not 205 then as much as I possibly can...
I'm gonna lay it out as clear as I can: with various gearings (see videos), and so far only with XLX 2s, on two Limitless V1 platforms (3.3 diff ratio), with standard GA (chinese brand that apparently I can't write here :) ) lipos (all I can get in Romania)...I was able to achieve the following:
a. 116mph with TP 4040 1850kv, 8S
b. 133mph with TP 4070 2200 kv, 8S
c. 140mph with Castle 1721 2400 kv, 8S.

Of course there is more to sqeeze, but during this speedrunning break I took after the last run, I went back to the drawing board and decided, amonst other things to not be very narrow minded and consider other approaches as well.

I saw Talbot use a Ezrun 70125SD 560KV motor that is slightly bigger than a coke can :) and that puzzled me a bit as I always stayed away from lower KV motors. And he did have ... results at Rossa.

My question to you guys is, from an engineering standpoint, what is your opinion...
- lower KV and sky high gearing?
or
- midrange KV and gearing...?
and why?

I'm interested to hear your opinions from multiple standpoints, including strain on the ESC. Right now I would like you if possible to exclude lipo efficiency and quality out of the equation, and assume the same lipos and S count is used for those two scenarios.
Not interested in a speed simulation, as I have done that, but as I said, that is more efficient from an engineering/physical standpoint?

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
See KV as your electronic gearbox next to your mechanical gearing. KV is more fluid as it's out varies on voltage sag and motor efficiency(/heat). Mechanical gearing is as it is.

In earlier threads the general consences was that lower kv is marginally better as long as you can actually fit the required gearing
- lower rpm's (not just the motor but the whole drivetrain) gives less resonance.
- high rpm's and big can 6 poles motors can be difficult for the XLX2
- Bigger the motor, generally the lower the kv (on the prefered voltage), this a is mechanical restriction

There's a lot more to be had with the Castle 1721. Raz Shifrin made a 192mph pass with a single 1721.

As for efficiency, to my mind, higher voltages will yield higher efficiency but, when it comes to speed running, your ESC options become slim at that point. The only ESCs that I think can make good use of higher voltages AND provide the kind of current limits conducive to speed running are going to be MGM...which are pretty expensive by comparison. That's not to say the Max4 is a non-starter but, historically, HW ESCs haven't fared well in speed running. Perhaps the 12S limit of the Max4 can provide the necessary oompf but, aside from Kevin, I have yet to see anyone else use it in that application. FWIW, the Max5 can be hacked to run on 12S but it does have a 200A continuous current ceiling compared to the Max4's 300A. Jason Flores demonstrated how to do this in one of his videos.

Last edited:
I'll say this. If you look at what guys are doing lately they like higher kv like you have used with less gearing.
Many guys at the top (guys going over 170 mph) like 2200 KV. ( plus or minus 200 kv to their liking)
What you may be missing is some very strong LiPos that allow the setup to not drop below 27 volts. This will allow it to retain a very high-efficiency rate. At this time there is really only 2 names that can deliver on that SMC SRD or Onyx rc power solutions. You may be able to buy Onyx packs direct from Michael Walford out of Europe. James McCoy handles most of the US distribution. The battery is honestly more important to the motor to some extent. It makes the whole system more efficient. These Onyx packs are extremely expensive, but people at ROSSA were instantly picking up 10-15 mph when changing over to those packs.... Seems worth it to me.

Because of the higher RPMs in that said setup I would only recommend TP motors that are able to rev over 50k like the CM, or SVM series. So far I have not seen the SCM 2 pole series run well. Also the Castle 1721 does pretty good, but it appears the TP4080 might out perform it.

Last edited:
I'll say this. If you look at what guys are doing lately they like higher kv like you have used with less gearing.
Many guys at the top (guys going over 170 mph) like 2200 KV. ( plus or minus 200 kv to their liking)
What you may be missing is some very strong LiPos that allow the setup to not drop below 27 volts. This will allow it to retain a very high-efficiency rate. At this time there is really only 2 names that can deliver on that SMC SRD or Onyx rc power solutions. You may be able to buy Onyx packs direct from Michael Walford out of Europe. James McCoy handles most of the US distribution.

Because of the higher RPMs in that said setup I would only recommend TP motors that are able to rev over 50k like the CM, or SVM series. So far I have not seen the SCM 2 pole series run well. Also the Castle 1721 does pretty good, but it appears the TP4080 might out perform it.
I omitted commenting on lipos as he didn't want it, but I agree with you that it's the clearest (technical) bottleneck when it comes to serious speed running.

I'll definitely be curious about doing some head to head testing between the 1721 and 4080. I've seen 170s with the 4080 and wonder how much more it has in it. Raz's 192mph pass has definitely been an anomaly as the 1721's high current draw has proven to be a difficult issue to get around. 8S parallel definitely becomes a necessity at some point with that motor (and I'm guessing will be necessary with the 4080 as well).

I omitted commenting on lipos as he didn't want it, but I agree with you that it's the clearest (technical) bottleneck when it comes to serious speed running.

I'll definitely be curious about doing some head to head testing between the 1721 and 4080. I've seen 170s with the 4080 and wonder how much more it has in it. Raz's 192mph pass has definitely been an anomaly as the 1721's high current draw has proven to be a difficult issue to get around. 8S parallel definitely becomes a necessity at some point with that motor (and I'm guessing will be necessary with the 4080 as well).

I am all about people cutting their teeth with CNHL G+ 6Ah packs. Once you hit 160+ speeds a top-tier LiPo becomes necessary to go further.

Couldn't agree more with Raz's 1721 run being an anomaly. He runs downhill in Israel and based on what we saw occur at ROSSA that might be worth 5-8 mph. His dual motor setup at ROSSA couldn't crack 190 which makes the single setup going over 190 very suspect.

Jason Flores was talking about the beta tester guys may have a software version on their XLX2 Beta/Alphas that is allowing them to run upwards of 800 amps. So we are not playing on a level playing field.

I am all about people cutting their teeth with CNHL G+ 6Ah packs. Once you hit 160+ speeds a top-tier LiPo becomes necessary to go further.

Couldn't agree more with Raz's 1721 run being an anomaly. He runs downhill in Israel and based on what we saw occur at ROSSA that might be worth 5-8 mph. His dual motor setup at ROSSA couldn't crack 190 which makes the single setup going over 190 very suspect.

Jason Flores was talking about the beta tester guys may have a software version on their XLX2 Beta/Alphas that is allowing them to run upwards of 800 amps. So we are not playing on a level playing field.
Must have missed that. Was that in one of his recent videos or older? If that is indeed the case then, yeah, we're not on a level playing field. What I would offer up however as a counter balance is that Raz routinely shows his logs and I don't think I've seen him pull much over 620-630A. Interestingly, to date his fastest car remains his dual 1717 build at 198mph.

Must have missed that. Was that in one of his recent videos or older? If that is indeed the case then, yeah, we're not on a level playing field. What I would offer up however as a counter balance is that Raz routinely shows his logs and I don't think I've seen him pull much over 620-630A. Interestingly, to date his fastest car remains his dual 1717 build at 198mph.

I have not seen anyone showing data over 700amps either. Not sure about that claim from Jason.
I began to question Raz's honestly pretty heavily after he posted those drag-type data runs and claimed it was approaching near to a top-fuel dragster quarter mile time. Probably a reason why he has not done that again....

We had looked at it closer and he clearly had edited the video and misrepresented the distance traveled among other things. It was a giant lie.
Several people talked to him about it and he said it was for views on YouTube.

If you want to see legit speed runs and shared data logs look at what @vwturbowolf has been doing lately. He is the rising star in the speed run world. Raz's content has become just entertainment like Talbot in my opinion.

Last edited:
I have not seen anyone showing data over 700amps either. Not sure about that claim from Jason.
I began to question Raz's honestly pretty heavily after he posted those drag-type data runs and claimed it was approaching near to a top-fuel dragster quarter mile time. Probably a reason why he has not done that again....

We had looked at it closer and he clearly had edited the video and misrepresented the distance traveled among other things. It was a giant lie.

If you want to see legit speed runs and shared data logs look at what @vwturbowolf has been doing lately. He is the rising star in the speed run world. Raz's content has become just entertainment like Talbot in my opinion.
Ouch...that's a big ol' ding in terms of credibility. Hadn't heard about that until just now. That's a shame really as he's always made a big deal out of credibility and reputation. I'm a little surprised, but at the end of the day not really...he's human too. It would definitely appear as though he, too, has fallen down the content for clicks rabbit hole. I mean, I get it to a certain extent. When your primary source of income is making Youtube videos, it WILL affect the kind of content you produce if the food in your refrigerator and the roof over your head are contingent upon their popularity. But I do think it's possible to make entertaining content without compromising your integrity.

I think for most single motor setups, after the 170’s it becomes extremely difficult to achieve greater speeds.
I’m determined to get
My 4070cm to 180+ but all conditions have to be just right,
Other then a few guys,McCoy, Ingals, dirks and Flores who have 185-190 passes that are confirmed single motor there aren’t anyone else with single motor setups achieving those speeds. It’s very difficult. I have a 4080svm coming for another vte2 build I’m doing and believe it could possibly see 190+ but it’s just so hard to make a single setup do that.
Time will tell.
Honesty by next year with the progression of lipos it could be more attainable

thanks

Last edited:
See KV as your electronic gearbox next to your mechanical gearing. KV is more fluid as it's out varies on voltage sag and motor efficiency(/heat). Mechanical gearing is as it is.

In earlier threads the general consences was that lower kv is marginally better as long as you can actually fit the required gearing
- lower rpm's (not just the motor but the whole drivetrain) gives less resonance.
- high rpm's and big can 6 poles motors can be difficult for the XLX2
- Bigger the motor, generally the lower the kv (on the prefered voltage), this a is mechanical restriction
As English is not my first language :) please explain what you mean by "resonance" (where you say "- lower rpm's (not just the motor but the whole drivetrain) gives less resonance."
Thanks for the input :)
There's a lot more to be had with the Castle 1721. Raz Shifrin made a 192mph pass with a single 1721.
As for efficiency, to my mind, higher voltages will yield higher efficiency but, when it comes to speed running, your ESC options become slim at that point. The only ESCs that I think can make good use of higher voltages AND provide the kind of current limits conducive to speed running are going to be MGM...which are pretty expensive by comparison. That's not to say the Max4 is a non-starter but, historically, HW ESCs haven't fared well in speed running. Perhaps the 12S limit of the Max4 can provide the necessary oompf but, aside from Kevin, I have yet to see anyone else use it in that application. FWIW, the Max5 can be hacked to run on 12S but it does have a 200A continuous current ceiling compared to the Max4's 300A. Jason Flores demonstrated how to do this in one of his videos.
Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it.
HW for me was a non starter, because of the failsafes. I have not gotten to the point of hacking ESCs :)
Right now I have three xlx2s, one I have used for the 140mph last run and the other two in a dual motor build that I am trying out.
They are both (builds) using at this point 1721s.
I am sure that 1721 has much more in it, and I know Raz's video, my dilemma here was hypothetical as watching Talbot's video made me think...

I have gotten, in order to test, an MGM controller as well.
It's the TMM 25063-3 X2-SERIES PRO, and I want to compare it with the xlx2 with the same setup, before I go for the 40063-3 X2 PRO, or the bigger one which I think is a bit much at this point...
It may be the way to go, but I have not gotten to test it yet...we will see...

Once again, thanks
What you may be missing is some very strong LiPos that allow the setup to not drop below 27 volts. This will allow it to retain a very high-efficiency rate. At this time there is really only 2 names that can deliver on that SMC SRD or Onyx rc power solutions. You may be able to buy Onyx packs direct from Michael Walford out of Europe. James McCoy handles most of the US distribution. The battery is honestly more important to the motor to some extent. It makes the whole system more efficient. These Onyx packs are extremely expensive, but people at ROSSA were instantly picking up 10-15 mph when changing over to those packs.... Seems worth it to me.

Thanks for answering. While my latest dilemma is about KV, I do understand the importance of lipos. So far, I have used the unmentionable G-Ace brand as it is ALL I can get in Romania. I did recently order some HV Powerhobbys but I have not tried them yet...
However SMC...I practically begged them to ship to Romania, and they said ... no. I even offered to pay extra and in advance.
With ONYX however, I had more success and I will be ordering a bunch very soon.
But this low KV thing....I think I will get a separate build...start over...get a new roller and test...
And...somehow I agree with that 2200 kv but I do feel like +200 on the 1721....that motor sucks the life of the ESC if one wants to push limits...

Thanks again!

I agree with the idea that lipos are a huge bottleneck. As I said, for me that is a separate issue, and I am attempting to deal with it from here in Romania. SMC won't send me anything, ONYX were nice enough to say they can so I will be ordering a bunch.

Last edited:
As English is not my first language :) please explain what you mean by "resonance" (where you say "- lower rpm's (not just the motor but the whole drivetrain) gives less resonance."
Vibrations/shaking caused by high rpm's. Especially the F/R drive shafts will cause/enhance every little reaction your drivetrain has upon rotation of the motor. It will indirectly affect the efficiency of the motor/esc.

I agree with the idea that lipos are a huge bottleneck. As I said, for me that is a separate issue, and I am attempting to deal with it from here in Romania. SMC won't send me anything, ONYX were nice enough to say they can so I will be ordering a bunch.
Good that you were able to get your hands on Onyx batteries. In general though, as far as i know, Romania is part of the EU and any serious webshop in the EU should be willing to send stuff to you.
SMC and scorchedRC for example, you can get at wetronic.nl (assuming they have on stock what you are looking for)

Other than shipping times/costs, you should not be worse of than Diem or me. I could be wrong obviously, more like saying, have you tried any shop outside Romania but within the EU?

Vibrations/shaking caused by high rpm's. Especially the F/R drive shafts will cause/enhance every little reaction your drivetrain has upon rotation of the motor. It will indirectly affect the efficiency of the motor/esc.

Good that you were able to get your hands on Onyx batteries. In general though, as far as i know, Romania is part of the EU and any serious webshop in the EU should be willing to send stuff to you.
SMC and scorchedRC for example, you can get at wetronic.nl (assuming they have on stock what you are looking for)

Other than shipping times/costs, you should not be worse of than Diem or me. I could be wrong obviously, more like saying, have you tried any shop outside Romania but within the EU?
I was going to mention Wetronic too :) I hope their stock of SRDs picks up as SMC gets their supply chain sorted out again.

Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it.
HW for me was a non starter, because of the failsafes. I have not gotten to the point of hacking ESCs :)
Right now I have three xlx2s, one I have used for the 140mph last run and the other two in a dual motor build that I am trying out.
They are both (builds) using at this point 1721s.
I am sure that 1721 has much more in it, and I know Raz's video, my dilemma here was hypothetical as watching Talbot's video made me think...

I have gotten, in order to test, an MGM controller as well.
It's the TMM 25063-3 X2-SERIES PRO, and I want to compare it with the xlx2 with the same setup, before I go for the 40063-3 X2 PRO, or the bigger one which I think is a bit much at this point...
It may be the way to go, but I have not gotten to test it yet...we will see...

Once again, thanks

Thanks for answering. While my latest dilemma is about KV, I do understand the importance of lipos. So far, I have used the unmentionable G-Ace brand as it is ALL I can get in Romania. I did recently order some HV Powerhobbys but I have not tried them yet...
However SMC...I practically begged them to ship to Romania, and they said ... no. I even offered to pay extra and in advance.
With ONYX however, I had more success and I will be ordering a bunch very soon.
But this low KV thing....I think I will get a separate build...start over...get a new roller and test...
And...somehow I agree with that 2200 kv but I do feel like +200 on the 1721....that motor sucks the life of the ESC if one wants to push limits...

Thanks again!

If I'm honest...your English is better than many native English speakers. At least when it comes to writing. :)

I look forward to reading about your experiences with MGM ESCs. There's painfully little information out there regarding these ESCs (probably in part due to their exorbitant cost) and even less in terms of comparisons to the holy grail of speed runners, the XLX2. Should be interesting (y)

Unfortunately I haven't really read much in terms of positive reviews of Powerhobby lipos. From everything I've gathered it sounds as though they underperform, especially when taking their relatively high cost into consideration. Your mileage may vary of course, that's just the sum of what I've read about them up to this point.

As @rotauq mentioned, if you want to get your hands on some SMC packs, www.wetronic.nl has them in stock, however no SRD packs are to be had currently. I assume because SMC recently had to move their manufacturing to another supplier entirely due to supply chain issue with their previous supplier. Hopefully that will get sorted out in the coming months. But since you're getting, what seems to be, the best of the best in ONYX Power Systems, maybe your need for SMCs has subsided a bit. It might not be bad to have some others in your arsenal that don't cost quite as much as ONYX. Anyways, the option is there if you need it.

Last edited:

On the vibrations issue, I use v1 raz catbon shafts at this point! They work great! I was able to get them from the States! Many shops do deliver in Romania!
Romania is part of the EU but no EU shop has either ONYX or SMC! Indid offer to pay for everything to do with shipping and more while discussing with SMC but they just said no!
I will check out wetronic.nl, but I am surprised that the SMC guys did not point me in that direction when I talked to them!
With scorched, I order them from David directly!
I also routinely order stuff from the EU shops, mostly in Germany! But when it comes to Arrma stuff, they mainly have standard stuff!
When it comes to gearing, they look at me like an alien when I ask for non standard pinions and spur gears!
Thanks for all the info!

On the vibrations issue, I use v1 raz catbon shafts at this point! They work great! I was able to get them from the States! Many shops do deliver in Romania!
Romania is part of the EU but no EU shop has either ONYX or SMC! Indid offer to pay for everything to do with shipping and more while discussing with SMC but they just said no!
I will check out wetronic.nl, but I am surprised that the SMC guys did not point me in that direction when I talked to them!
With scorched, I order them from David directly!
I also routinely order stuff from the EU shops, mostly in Germany! But when it comes to Arrma stuff, they mainly have standard stuff!
When it comes to gearing, they look at me like an alien when I ask for non standard pinions and spur gears!
Thanks for all the info!
Carbon shafts indeed help and vibrate less.

I currenty not buying anything from the UK, Dutch customs have great fixation on UK shipments since brexit and taxes/duty are rediculous.
For onxy there doesn't seem to be any options yet, luckily i am still stacked with decent batteries.

As for gearing, saga and surpass hobby seem to be the only ones making 8mm 34T+ gears

I was going to mention Wetronic too :) I hope their stock of SRDs picks up as SMC gets their supply chain sorted out again.

If I'm honest...your English is better than many native English speakers. At least when it comes to writing. :)

I look forward to reading about your experiences with MGM ESCs. There's painfully little information out there regarding these ESCs (probably in part due to their exorbitant cost) and even less in terms of comparisons to the holy grail of speed runners, the XLX2. Should be interesting (y)

Unfortunately I haven't really read much in terms of positive reviews of Powerhobby lipos. From everything I've gathered it sounds as though they underperform, especially when taking their relatively high cost into consideration. Your mileage may vary of course, that's just the sum of what I've read about them up to this point.

As @rotauq mentioned, if you want to get your hands on some SMC packs, www.wetronic.nl has them in stock, however no SRD packs are to be had currently. I assume because SMC recently had to move their manufacturing to another supplier entirely due to supply chain issue with their previous supplier. Hopefully that will get sorted out in the coming months. But since you're getting, what seems to be, the best of the best in ONYX Power Systems, maybe your need for SMCs has subsided a bit. It might not be bad to have some others in your arsenal that don't cost quite as much as ONYX. Anyways, the option is there if you need it.
What can I say? :) Thanks. I don't think my English is bad...and I also do accents :D, but some words in certain contexts I just don't understand :).
My speedrun quest has started sometime in last year's autumn, so I've been learning (amost from zero) ever since, and researching. Only this year I became aware of the importance of quality lipos after seeing some results with some people. As I said, I've been using what' readily available here so far.
Wetronic do sell SMC and I am thankful for this information, and surprised that the SMC person I spoke with did not point me to this dealer. Even if no SRD packs are currently in stock, at least when they do become available I can order them and they will reach Romania.
I am fine with ONYX the fact that ONYX do deliver to Romania...so that's great :)
As for MGM, we shall see :) So far I only have the one MGM mention above, but it's the next in line for testing ... so I will definitely share what it can do, or at least what I can make it do.
Carbon shafts indeed help and vibrate less.

I currenty not buying anything from the UK, Dutch customs have great fixation on UK shipments since brexit and taxes/duty are rediculous.
For onxy there doesn't seem to be any options yet, luckily i am still stacked with decent batteries.

As for gearing, saga and surpass hobby seem to be the only ones making 8mm 34T+ gears
I agree with the UK purchases. It's a hell of a hastle. It actually made more sense to get Scorched parts from the US. Typically from islandhobbynut. But their stocks are not always replenished...and when I need stuff....I need stuff :)
I did searched Scorched on wetronic, but no results. I have a bunch of Saga gearing from the USA, but considerint the ideea of a large can low KV motor, as a future test, I am in a deep hole as I have no gears that high on T count.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back