Big Rock My Long term Big Rock

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
So this is for my big rock. Its my first Arrma and I wanted a place to document what I do to it over time. I never get things done quickly as I've got 4 children that come first so don't expect some fast or crazy build out of it (usually anyway lol. 2 of my sons 10/7 also bash with me so I'm constantly fixing thier rigs also lol). After many years using another brand for bashing I'm sick of them though and always heard great things about these so this is a new beginning for me. Its exciting to get to know another brand and figure things out all over again!
Anyway this is the truck.
First thing I've done is install a Surpass Hobby rocket fan on the motor and I plan to get one on the esc as well. This fan moves a crazy amount of air compared to stock as I'm sure a lot of you already know. Super impressed with it so far.
I've also just gotten some 20k AE diff fluid and some red and tacky so ill have pics up soon when I tear into the diffs and get them filled with fresh fluid. Not really a "mod" but none the less..

20230515_141938.jpg

20230603_152330.jpg

Looking forward to seeing what you'll be doing with the Big Rock (when the kids aren't keeping you too busy)!

I've got similar Rocket fans on my motor & ESC as well, and they are pretty crazy. Sounds a bit like a jet engine powering up when you hit that button. :ROFLMAO:

Good luck with the diffs! They're not always filled sufficiently out of the factory -- or so I've heard -- so it's definitely a good idea to (re)fill them at some point. Also to check if they're spinning freely and not binding too much in the diff yokes. A dab of Red'n'Tacky certainly doesn't hurt, either! (y)

So this is for my big rock. Its my first Arrma and I wanted a place to document what I do to it over time. I never get things done quickly as I've got 4 children that come first so don't expect some fast or crazy build out of it (usually anyway lol. 2 of my sons 10/7 also bash with me so I'm constantly fixing thier rigs also lol). After many years using another brand for bashing I'm sick of them though and always heard great things about these so this is a new beginning for me. Its exciting to get to know another brand and figure things out all over again!
First thing I've done is install a Surpass Hobby rocket fan on the motor and I plan to get one on the esc as well. This fan moves a crazy amount of air compared to stock as I'm sure a lot of you already know. Super impressed with it so far.
I've also just gotten some 20k AE diff fluid and some red and tacky so ill have pics up soon when I tear into the diffs and get them filled with fresh fluid. Not really a "mod" but none the less..

View attachment 303740

View attachment 303741
Congrats on your new Big Rock 🤟 .your going to have a blast with this rig..I love mine and it allways puts a smile on my face when I'm working on it or blasting with it .good luck

Congrats! They're a blast. A couple buddies have them. Regretted getting the Granite after driving theirs. So...I just picked one up from a pawn shop. Lol. It's been thrashed. Currently disassembled. Rebuild as parts come in. Be good as new shortly.

Congrats! They're a blast. A couple buddies have them. Regretted getting the Granite after driving theirs. So...I just picked one up from a pawn shop. Lol. It's been thrashed. Currently disassembled. Rebuild as parts come in. Be good as new shortly.
That is pretty interesting, after driving my friends Big Rock I liked my Granite more 😀.

Just had them out for a bash not long ago, so fun. 👍

That is pretty interesting, after driving my friends Big Rock I liked my Granite more 😀.

Just had them out for a bash not long ago, so fun. 👍
They drive different. Don't get me wrong, I love my Granite. A laugh riot and wheelie king. But, the BR handles better.

They drive different. Don't get me wrong, I love my Granite. A laugh riot and wheelie king. But, the BR handles better.
Thanks!

I've driven a friends granite and I like them also but more of a stunts kinda truck. I like rippin flat out so longer and wider fit the bill nicely 🙂
Wife thinks I never learned that there is actually the ability to control throttle input cause its all or nothing with me lmao. I run 1/8 nitro buggies a lot also and actually have extremely good control when I want but nothing as fun as WOT with a basher lol.

Thanks!

I've driven a friends granite and I like them also but more of a stunts kinda truck. I like rippin flat out so longer and wider fit the bill nicely 🙂
Wife thinks I never learned that there is actually the ability to control throttle input cause its all or nothing with me lmao. I run 1/8 nitro buggies a lot also and actually have extremely good control when I want but nothing as fun as WOT with a basher lol.
Exactly!

Tore into the front diff tonight. Really exciting as I love workin on rc's as much as driving them and I've never had an arrma 4x4 apart before. I've seen tons of pics and folks talk bout it but doing it yourself is DIFFerent! See what I did there?
Tried to show how much oil was in the diff.. not a lot but seemed to have everything covered well from operation.
20k AE goin back in.. Rears getting 20 also. The way I drive I'm hoping it'll work pretty good.
BTW, please excuse the dirty truck. I usually clean my rc back up after running them but I havnt stopped running this thing yet long enough to... lol.

20230605_023156.jpg

20230605_023329.jpg

20230605_023343.jpg

Well.. jobs half done (front ends all back together). Rear is tomorrow nights project lol. Liking this truck even more after actually wrenching and doing something. Don't remember the last time I dealt with a gear diff, been on the ball diffs a while with the t/c's.

20230605_044124.jpg

Slow & steady wins the race, you'll eventually get it to where you want it. I can relate, I have kids as well and they definitely slow up the process lol. Glad you're liking all aspects of the Big Rock, I definitely see more Arrma rigs in your future reeally soon.

View attachment 303740

View attachment 303741
I like these fans also.
Just that the wiring can disconnect for the solder joints at the fan motor from hard impacts. Very hard to solder back on in many cases.
I tried using some liquid electrical tape for some strain relief where the wires are soldered, before installing a new fan. Good results so far.

Had some fun out today to try that front diff and see how it handled with stock rear. I lost a little steering on throttle but not enough to matter. No more ballooning a single front tire when pinned and turning which is exactly what I wanted. I can bicycle it pretty decent now. Im sure with 20k out back it'll do it for days lol.. Had the little neo project out also. I've recently done the 4 gear diffs and fluid on it also. Between the diffs and sway bars it doesn't handle like a budget 1/8 anymore lol. Need some mp9 shocks for it now.

20230605_173959.jpg

Looking forward to seeing what you'll be doing with the Big Rock (when the kids aren't keeping you too busy)!

I've got similar Rocket fans on my motor & ESC as well, and they are pretty crazy. Sounds a bit like a jet engine powering up when you hit that button. :ROFLMAO:

Good luck with the diffs! They're not always filled sufficiently out of the factory -- or so I've heard -- so it's definitely a good idea to (re)fill them at some point. Also to check if they're spinning freely and not binding too much in the diff yokes. A dab of Red'n'Tacky certainly doesn't hurt, either! (y)

I somehow over looked this 1, sorry!
Yeah I deff love that fan, got 1 coming for the esc also.
Deff sounds like a jet, I love it!

I got the rear diff done last night. Havnt had the time to give it a shot yet.
I'll hopefully have a few things coming for the truck soon 😎 my oldest wants to make a project out of his voltage granite so I'm looking into a few things there. Holding me up a little, all good though

Went to some mp9 tki4 shocks. Not because I had any issues with the stock ones but because I realized they looked liked they would fit perfectly and so I threw them on and I was right 😁
I will end up swapping these out for arrma 6s shocks when I've got the extra to $$$

20230620_130243.jpg

20230620_130326.jpg

20230620_130349.jpg

Yeah, those leaves up in them there trees tend to make for pretty soft and smooth landings! It's getting the RC car down afterwards that's tricky...

I'm not actually close to that tree. The fact that I havnt mowed this week is probably helping though 🤣

I never claimed to be good at picture takin 😕

I'm not actually close to that tree. The fact that I havnt mowed this week is probably helping though 🤣

I never claimed to be good at picture takin 😕

Sorry, I know, I know... just looked like it was heading right for it, haha. :ROFLMAO:

But yeah, definitely prefer jumping on grass, myself. Since I land on my roof half the time prefer softer landings.

Sorry, I know, I know... just looked like it was heading right for it, haha. :ROFLMAO:

But yeah, definitely prefer jumping on grass, myself. Since I land on my roof half the time prefer softer landings.

Is there any other way to land???? I thought that was how you were supposed to! You know... so you don't tear suspension parts up🤣

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back