Granite Melted my center slider driveshaft

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ndpoulin

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
Hey! Awesome forum ya’ll.

So about 3 runs on my granite 4x4 on 2s lipo and my center slider driveshaft has melted...

F856EED5-582B-412D-92C4-D66396EDFA4B.jpeg

Also after I pulled out the lipo, I noticed the red heat shrink was torn up and the wire is now exposed.

B544F46A-F7CF-4C83-AF81-FF6C72DB2BF9.jpeg

I’m trying to figure out what happened ... maybe the wire got pinched between the driveshaft and the motor which melted the heat shrink and then the wire melted the driveshaft?

Ambient temp about 95F (Houston)

since I’m down until I get a replacement are there any upgrades for the center slider driveshaft? I got some rubber sealed bearings on the way and have been thinking of getting a motor fan but don’t know what will fit, anything else I should pick up?

Attachments

• 3F0AD835-756C-410D-9B25-4AD1CFC0A6CF.jpeg
    3F0AD835-756C-410D-9B25-4AD1CFC0A6CF.jpeg
    389.5 KB · Views: 62
  • B8BF37AB-E3FE-48A2-A34A-91EF768D4690.jpeg
    B8BF37AB-E3FE-48A2-A34A-91EF768D4690.jpeg
    404.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 0C235A38-B580-4E0A-AFB8-DAF490A093AF.jpeg
    0C235A38-B580-4E0A-AFB8-DAF490A093AF.jpeg
    534 KB · Views: 53

So about 3 runs on my granite 4x4 on 2s lipo and my center slider driveshaft has melted...

View attachment 45397

Also after I pulled out the lipo, I noticed the red heat shrink was torn up and the wire is now exposed.

View attachment 45400

I’m trying to figure out what happened ... maybe the wire got pinched between the driveshaft and the motor which melted the heat shrink and then the wire melted the driveshaft?

since I’m down until I get a replacement are there any upgrades for the center slider driveshaft? I got some rubber sealed bearings on the way and have been thinking of getting a motor fan but don’t know what will fit, anything else I should pick up?
You let your wires get tangled in the shaft. It happens. Hopefully from now on you will use the battery straps to hold the battery/ESC wires in place and out of harms way. There isn’t a need for an alternate shaft as the stock one works well as long as wires and rocks stay out of its way.

You let your wires get tangled in the shaft. It happens. Hopefully from now on you will use the battery straps to hold the battery/ESC wires in place and out of harms way. There isn’t a need for an alternate shaft as the stock one works well as long as wires and rocks stay out of its way.
This is all it is. The driveshaft can take huge / way more than ambient or electrics heat and I imagine a rock or your power leads got in the way. The 3s trucks give plenty room on the leads and it happens as mentioned.
I'd get a motor fan as it wont hurt and you can just screw on to the the stock heatsink. Wild Turbo Fans 30mm are a good place to start and lots of options otherwise with alternate fan distributors.
More importantly, just rethink your leads and loom em out of the way with zip ties etc.
Best part is the stock driveshaft is cheap and you'll likely only ever need this replacement as long as the leads are routed out of the way. No big deal... / ...easy fix ??

View attachment 45397

View attachment 45400

Welcome to the forum!! Hope you'll get in here and share your fun.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back