Kraton Modification of the weekend.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is it still good ? I saw a guy that cut clean through a plastic one, so maybe that aluminum you have saved you for a while.

I wouldn't worry about it if it's still kicking.

Last edited:
I did a 500 foot wheelie and repeated 3 more times in a row. ....I didn't realize, that gets things hot !!! I'll usually only ride one briefly. I'll have to keep that in mind.
Anyway.... good to hear you like the Hobbystar K. I have one in 5S, 5200. I really like them but I'm just afraid I may never run 5S again. I rather think just 6S and sell the nice fresh 5S I have, rather than letting it sit. I would not hesitate to get a 6S Hobbystar... nice specs.

Don't judge the brand new pack till you run it about 6-7 times. To me... they seem to get better after a few runs.
Just got my 6s in the mail and I already know I will never use my 5s! Gonna sell on Flea Bay to fund one or two more 6s! I used to hold onto rc stuff thinking it would probably get used later just to find it in my trunk of rc spares two years later, not anymore, been selling rc stuff to fund my latest passion....... the Kraton!

View attachment 6358 Here's what my center diff looks like now.
Sucks! Deanodize it, it will just happen again.

The Kraton keeps proving to be a solid platform and it's worth putting effort into. The one great thing is that it handles well and jumps well. Probably better than any other 6S out there. It doesn't flip over compared to other stuff out there. I think the 1/8 buggy platforms are fantastic.

My last run (parking lot) temps at the end of the run were.... 150 motor MAX, 156 ESC (MAX), 98 battery MAX. My speed is 53 mph. I kept moving and drifting around the lot. Parking lot runs get my motor almost always 10-15 degrees hotter than offroad. This is with no motor fan. 100 degrees is a great battery temp for low resistance...140 is way to hot for a battery. I'm fine with reading 98. My ESC temp averages lower but I always get a 156 max reading off of it per the data logger ( running 6S). Hitting it with the temp gun never seems to accomplish anything at all because of the fan cooling it. It averages around 130-140 per data logger but max will say 156. My motor is often 135-150.

I'm going to clean up my heatsink and mount it up for this summer. I'll be sand blasting it and hitting it with flat black engine paint. It's a trick I like to do...the added surface area from sand blasting and the flat black paint cools the heck out of a motor.

This is my next mod on the table.

Last edited:
The Kraton keeps proving to be a solid platform and it's worth putting effort into. The one great thing is that it handles well and jumps well. Probably better than any other 6S out there. It doesn't flip over compared to other stuff out there. I think the 1/8 buggy platforms are fantastic.

My last run (parking lot) temps at the end of the run were.... 150 motor, 156 ESC, 98 battery. My speed is 53 mph. I kept moving and drifting around the lot. Parking lot runs get my motor almost always 10-15 degrees hotter than offroad. This is with no motor fan. 100 degrees is a great battery temp for low resistance...140 is way to hot for a battery. I'm fine with reading 98.

I'm going to clean up my heatsink and mount it up for this summer. I'll be sand blasting it and hitting it with flat black engine paint. It's a trick I like to do...the added surface area from sand blasting and the flat black paint cools the heck out of a motor.
I ordered a couple new fans also,one that does 24,000 rpm to replace the esc stocker(30mm square),and the Yeah Racing dual 30mm fans.Hawaii temps don't vary that much so already have sand temps over 120f,summer time the sand gets over 140f and transfers the heat through the chassis.

We get these humid nasty summers lately in NJ. I want to have something ready and working.

I shed a bunch of weight with the new battery....I feel good about adding my nice fan and heatsink. It just needs to be touched up fresh with the best color ever for getting rid of heat.....flat black.

If anyone is interested,Amazon has the Hot Racing front axle carriers for $39.88 free shipping,$10 off.I like the oversize bearings,not sure how much damage i will get now in frontend impact?My plastic ones are coming out easier after the first time impact.

Tempting, but I should probably get the car running before I spend money on the hubs.

IMG_0599.JPG
IMG_0598.JPG
Busting out the ole faithful. I love motors with raised rings or in this case... squares . So Air can circulate right threw and out the bottom.

Holy cow, I install that and remove this heatsink fast.... didn't even scratch up the motor !!!! Love them kind of deals.

Loving the HR motor mount....just praying that it's all good . As of now, its too good to be true. It's just so easy to do a little more...a little faster.

Last edited:
Is two 5200mah 75c 3s batteries as good as a single 5200 75c 6s battery? The reason I ask is I found a good deal on two 3s batteries. I already have a XT90 two battery plug.

Is two 5200mah 75c 3s batteries as good as a single 5200 75c 6s battery? The reason I ask is I found a good deal on two 3s batteries. I already have a XT90 two battery plug.
Probably depending on the quality,the two 3s should carry a heavier amp load if the cells are of equal quality.

It's like having a dual core battery....and using the 2 battery plug is a good idea. Cuts down on some wire.

Last edited:
I DID IT!

Wife had a friend over last night. Hung out for a but, and had a drink, then excused my self to go to the head. Never came back.

Hit the garage and Kraton with a vengeance. I wish I had been able to take pictures, but I would have had to go back outside to get the phone and would have blown my cover. First off I noticed I had lost the majority if not all of my center diff fluid. I was pretty sure I over filled it, but wasn't sure you could over fill it. Anyway, one of the screws the holds the diff together came loose and made a nice silver ring in the motor mount. But it does not look bent. I used lock tite this time around since I am now going into an aluminum diff carrier. The diff carrier no longer has a nice black top coat on it. When the issue occurred, something wedge in there, and ground it down a bit. The center diff mount looked fine, but the bearing was no where to be found. After taking a closer look, the outside ring of the bearing was still in the diff mount. and the little middle ring was still around the differential carrier. No bearings or race were to be seen. Then I looked closer at the bearing in the motor mount, and it was damaged, but not blown to pieces, like the other one. Both were aftermarket bearings, and were replaced with the stock bearings, for now. I am not sure why that bearing failed, but I am going to assume it was user error. Being my first time and doing multiple mod/repairs, I'm thinking I didn't take my time getting everything put back in perfectly.

I also swapped out the center diff mount for the stock one, and will wait for more of the hot racing mounts to come in stock.

I took it out for a parking lot run this AM, and all I had, charged, were 6s set ups. It had sounded clean in the house, last night so I figured I would just take it easy on the throttle for 10 minutes and see if anything heated up or sounded weird. Nice cool morning, parking lot was a little damp. Got there, and swapped the stock rubber for the terrain crushers, because the look super cool, and I want to save the stocks for the dirt and for jumping. Everything was seemed fine. AND IT WAS! Did multiple passes at full throttle, slammed some turns in there, and threw it into a huge full throttle drift. Brakes work well, and a AAA tow truck driver could not help but get out of his truck to come over and talk about it. He said he has a Nitro Truck and though it was pretty fast, until he saw the Kraton. Then he asked what kind of car it was and asked how many CC's the motor was. When I told him electric, he sais he thought it sounded odd for a nitro, but couldn't believe an electric car was capable of the speed and the sound the Kraton makes.

recap of mods.
Swapped the bearing all around, lost 2 and they are now stock.
shimmed all 3 diffs
Savox 1210SG servo,
Ht Racing Center diff carrier
Ht racing Chassis Braces
Ht Racing Bell Crank - comes with bearing in case you wanted to know.
Voltage Hobbies Steering rack.
The thick rear sway bar.
Axial 25T servo Horn.
Still waiting on the GKA Servo Mount.
Still need to reinforce the Body.

This is almost like making fire, for the first time, with out a lighter. Once you do it, you feel like the King of all you survey. Once a noob, like me dives into an undertaking like I did and comes out on the other side clean, it changes the whole hobby for you.

Thanks for all the help guys.

I put in a thicker front sway bar,seems to have stopped the Kraton from traction rolling!

I DID IT!

Wife had a friend over last night. Hung out for a but, and had a drink, then excused my self to go to the head. Never came back.

Hit the garage and Kraton with a vengeance. I wish I had been able to take pictures, but I would have had to go back outside to get the phone and would have blown my cover. First off I noticed I had lost the majority if not all of my center diff fluid. I was pretty sure I over filled it, but wasn't sure you could over fill it. Anyway, one of the screws the holds the diff together came loose and made a nice silver ring in the motor mount. But it does not look bent. I used lock tite this time around since I am now going into an aluminum diff carrier. The diff carrier no longer has a nice black top coat on it. When the issue occurred, something wedge in there, and ground it down a bit. The center diff mount looked fine, but the bearing was no where to be found. After taking a closer look, the outside ring of the bearing was still in the diff mount. and the little middle ring was still around the differential carrier. No bearings or race were to be seen. Then I looked closer at the bearing in the motor mount, and it was damaged, but not blown to pieces, like the other one. Both were aftermarket bearings, and were replaced with the stock bearings, for now. I am not sure why that bearing failed, but I am going to assume it was user error. Being my first time and doing multiple mod/repairs, I'm thinking I didn't take my time getting everything put back in perfectly.

I also swapped out the center diff mount for the stock one, and will wait for more of the hot racing mounts to come in stock.

I took it out for a parking lot run this AM, and all I had, charged, were 6s set ups. It had sounded clean in the house, last night so I figured I would just take it easy on the throttle for 10 minutes and see if anything heated up or sounded weird. Nice cool morning, parking lot was a little damp. Got there, and swapped the stock rubber for the terrain crushers, because the look super cool, and I want to save the stocks for the dirt and for jumping. Everything was seemed fine. AND IT WAS! Did multiple passes at full throttle, slammed some turns in there, and threw it into a huge full throttle drift. Brakes work well, and a AAA tow truck driver could not help but get out of his truck to come over and talk about it. He said he has a Nitro Truck and though it was pretty fast, until he saw the Kraton. Then he asked what kind of car it was and asked how many CC's the motor was. When I told him electric, he sais he thought it sounded odd for a nitro, but couldn't believe an electric car was capable of the speed and the sound the Kraton makes.

recap of mods.
Swapped the bearing all around, lost 2 and they are now stock.
shimmed all 3 diffs
Savox 1210SG servo,
Ht Racing Center diff carrier
Ht racing Chassis Braces
Ht Racing Bell Crank - comes with bearing in case you wanted to know.
Voltage Hobbies Steering rack.
The thick rear sway bar.
Axial 25T servo Horn.
Still waiting on the GKA Servo Mount.
Still need to reinforce the Body.

This is almost like making fire, for the first time, with out a lighter. Once you do it, you feel like the King of all you survey. Once a noob, like me dives into an undertaking like I did and comes out on the other side clean, it changes the whole hobby for you.

Thanks for all the help guys.

LOL....I seem to always be waiting to get done with the wife's socializing before I can do anything also. I love how you dipped out to get work done on your addiction. Well done....and nice job with the Kraton.

Yeah I figured I was out of commission for at least another week before I could get time to tool on it.

I just took it out at lunch and ran some long 6s full throttle runs. NOthing sounded out of place and I checked the temps by hand a couple times. The motor was warm, but I could hold my hand there all day. The Aluminum diff carrier was pretty dang hot though. Is that normal, or did my last issue, cause more damage to that part than I thought?

Center diif temps for for me if things are working good are around 125f,things start to go bad at around 150f,and the plastic diff housing will melt at anything over 155f.Have you changed the center diff fluid,i use 200k?

OK, I am going to need to get Temp gun. I was doing back to back 100 yard full throttle passes. Maybe 2000 yards total. I might just need to let things cool in between those kind of passes.

image.jpeg
OK, I am going to need to get Temp gun. I was doing back to back 100 yard full throttle passes. Maybe 2000 yards total. I might just need to let things cool in between those kind of passes.
Temp gun is a very good investment,should also monitor battery temps,that will let you know if your pushing your battery.I installed some new fans yesterday,replaced the esc fan with a Maclan 24,000 rpm version and these Hot Racing Turbo fans.Will try and give them a try today after work to see if they make any difference!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back