Mojave Mojave EXB- rocket 4092 just cogging (!?)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ficosk8

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Kraton 8S
  3. Mojave EXB
Hi guys,
I developed from a 1/10 used cars (most of the time broken) owner to a Kraton 8S used (but very ok) and new Mojave EXB owner. I bought the Kraton just for the electronics. But now I put other electronics to the Mojave to keep the Kraton 8S.

First I build the Mojave with a used Rocket 4092 and used Ace RC 150A Esc an 18t pinion. The car or the esc were doing just crazy things mostly. I think the Esc was shutting down early so it was mainly very very slow. With a 13t and programming the Esc (LiPo safe off) it ran quite nice last week but only on 50% throttle on the sender. If I went full gas it shut down. So I bought a used 160A Firma Esc. Now I thought it would be going crazy. Yesterday it went with power only in reverse so I changed the phase cables. Color way was not correct. And updated Firmware of esc and programming box. Let timing on 0* since I’m a beginner. And put the 18t for some speed in again.
Now the car ran a few meters on the street clogging on the start. But then it didn’t ran anymore. I pzt. a fresh LiPo 4S thinking that could be the problem. But nothing . It coggs like something would be to heavy to pull. In the air in doesn’t moves the wheels neither :(

What do you think? I’m so disappointed that I’m about to quit this great hobby :(
I lengthed the wires from the motor with 14AWG wires. Hadn’t bigger ones. Maybe it could be that 🧐

Attachments

• F11101A2-0088-4806-9AF6-C23DD283D3AB.jpeg
    F11101A2-0088-4806-9AF6-C23DD283D3AB.jpeg
    291.1 KB · Views: 92
  • 4ED8C8A8-A1C8-4D57-8D2C-080B7FAA923B.jpeg
    4ED8C8A8-A1C8-4D57-8D2C-080B7FAA923B.jpeg
    236.6 KB · Views: 55
  • 5BB61329-EB02-47F9-8083-DD40A21DF723.jpeg
    5BB61329-EB02-47F9-8083-DD40A21DF723.jpeg
    250.8 KB · Views: 62
  • 8BDAAF54-1012-48E6-A5D7-7EE760403F8B.jpeg
    8BDAAF54-1012-48E6-A5D7-7EE760403F8B.jpeg
    219.3 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
I'm assuming the car rolls without power on the ground with no binding? If so, there could be shorting or loose bullet connections on the motor/ESC

If there is binding, you could have something jamming the drivetrain, a poor gear mesh somewhere or (most likely) blown motor bearings

Check your diffs if they were topped off and put back together they may not have seeded right, also im sure you already know but the make sure mesh isnt to tight. Sounds like diffs to me if you could post video trying to run it, i could be more help... one more thing you said the motor was used make sure to check the motor bearings could have siezed up causing rhe esc to get to hot quickly

Yas, Shook; thank you for your helpful answers!!
I indeed didn’t check the diffs because I wanted to ride the car last weekend. I ordered 30k and 500k oil for tuning for the future but I may have some 10k or in that region wrongly labelled oil from AliExpress. I’ll check that next time. I don’t have so much time to wrench and must do that on the balcony or living room, so it isn’t so easy not being alone at home 😅

I checked now again for doing a video. Moved the motor away and turned on. Indeed the rotor wasn’t moving at all. Then I realised it was a bad wire moving it a bit it started. Also I could do some passes on our street. Not too fast I think, but Ok. Probably I should try a 6S combination, but I need to make one adapter for my 2S LiPos first. Or put the bigger 23 optional pinion from the Kraton. I’ll order some 10 AWG wires too.

I realised that the throttle limiter on my DX2e doesn’t seems to work with this combo now. I have also a DX3 from the Kraton, need to try that also. I like that feature to let my daughter ride the car as well 🚀 🚗 🤗
That was the mesh this morning. I think Ok
The motor was turning quite nice without load outside the car. And I could move it with a lot of force (I think only with a pinion mounted) by hand. So I hope the motor was Ok. But last week it got quite hot although I rode with a 13 pinion but without fan an around 70F/20C outside with dust over. But only feeling it by hand. I now have also a infrared temperature gun but this weekend was snowing again and the car didn’t get a blast.. next time 😋
Yas, Shook; thank you for your helpful answers!!
I indeed didn’t check the diffs because I wanted to ride the car last weekend. I ordered 30k and 500k oil for tuning for the future but I may have some 10k or in that region wrongly labelled oil from AliExpress. I’ll check that next time. I don’t have so much time to wrench and must do that on the balcony or living room, so it isn’t so easy not being alone at home 😅

I checked now again for doing a video. Moved the motor away and turned on. Indeed the rotor wasn’t moving at all. Then I realised it was a bad wire moving it a bit it started. Also I could do some passes on our street. Not too fast I think, but Ok. Probably I should try a 6S combination, but I need to make one adapter for my 2S LiPos first. Or put the bigger 23 optional pinion from the Kraton. I’ll order some 10 AWG wires too.

I realised that the throttle limiter on my DX2e doesn’t seems to work with this combo now. I have also a DX3 from the Kraton, need to try that also. I like that feature to let my daughter ride the car as well 🚀 🚗 🤗
That was the mesh this morning. I think Ok
The motor was turning quite nice without load outside the car. And I could move it with a lot of force (I think only with a pinion mounted) by hand. So I hope the motor was Ok. But last week it got quite hot although I rode with a 13 pinion but without fan an around 70F/20C outside with dust over. But only feeling it by hand. I now have also a infrared temperature gun but this weekend was snowing again and the car didn’t get a blast.. next time 😋
(Excuse for the sometimes bad writing. I’m Spanish and German speaking and the IPhone doesn’t make it easier )

Attachments

• 28BB0101-4A4D-40B0-ADB8-7783539FB4BC.jpeg
    28BB0101-4A4D-40B0-ADB8-7783539FB4BC.jpeg
    196.4 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Hi again, this evening I changed the pinion to the Kraton optional 23t. That was pretty tight. It felt like for an 4,8 mm motor shaft 😮. It went in with some hits (taking care of the rotor on the other side) after grinding the edges. But I don’t know if it we’ll be going out ever 😅.
The Mojave felt a bit faster. But still just one speed with the DX2E. Maybe I need to recalibrate the sender.

9FD5E6F1-37B9-49C4-ADD4-4B56A5AEFDAB.jpeg

76932149-28DB-4DA5-982A-DE0ABBA6A653.jpeg

B8461130-60AF-4A99-ACA8-31B91146E471.jpeg

92CE8ADF-53E6-4447-86DB-CDB07EC76952.jpeg

One more

Attachments

• 54371D32-C6E4-487B-88A7-85BA803FCB3E.jpeg
    54371D32-C6E4-487B-88A7-85BA803FCB3E.jpeg
    247.2 KB · Views: 48
If there is cogging try a smaller pinion first instead of going larger. Before I went to the Max6/4985 combo I ran the Mojave with a Quicrun (150a) and 4082 motor without any issues on 4s. First try to run the motor when it’s nit yet installed to see if it runs OK. You said you can move the car without to much force, so sounds that your diffs are OK. So if your motor spins OK, install it with the correct mesh. On 4s first try a 16T, if that works then go up.

If there is cogging try a smaller pinion first instead of going larger. Before I went to the Max6/4985 combo I ran the Mojave with a Quicrun (150a) and 4082 motor without any issues on 4s. First try to run the motor when it’s nit yet installed to see if it runs OK. You said you can move the car without to much force, so sounds that your diffs are OK. So if your motor spins OK, install it with the correct mesh. On 4s first try a 16T, if that works then go up.
Hi Sandracer from NL :D How your rigs go on sand? I would have some concerns growing up on the chilean coast...

I went from 13t to 18t and then 23t. The motor turned OK outside the car or without mesh. It was a bad connection on one wire last time. Now I need to recalibrate the transmitter/receiver/ESC and look how it goes. Yesterday I just did a short run and it was OK on 4S but not fast at all.

What was your reason for going up with that motor? My original idea was to put the 8S electronics from the Kraton (4685 motor I think) in the Mojave. But having an old 150A ESC (probably broken) I bought the Rocket 4092 for doing the first rides without needing to disassemble the Kraton... How were your temps with the smaller 4082 motor? Did you have a fan there?
Best regards to NL ☺
STOP BUYING USED ELECTRONICS!!!!!!
It´s a good idea. But sometimes also expensive... Haven´t done bad experiences with others hobbys, so I went this way on RC also :/

Hi guys,
I developed from a 1/10 used cars (most of the time broken) owner to a Kraton 8S used (but very ok) and new Mojave EXB owner. I bought the Kraton just for the electronics. But now I put other electronics to the Mojave to keep the Kraton 8S.

First I build the Mojave with a used Rocket 4092 and used Ace RC 150A Esc an 18t pinion. The car or the esc were doing just crazy things mostly. I think the Esc was shutting down early so it was mainly very very slow. With a 13t and programming the Esc (LiPo safe off) it ran quite nice last week but only on 50% throttle on the sender. If I went full gas it shut down. So I bought a used 160A Firma Esc. Now I thought it would be going crazy. Yesterday it went with power only in reverse so I changed the phase cables. Color way was not correct. And updated Firmware of esc and programming box. Let timing on 0* since I’m a beginner. And put the 18t for some speed in again.
Now the car ran a few meters on the street clogging on the start. But then it didn’t ran anymore. I pzt. a fresh LiPo 4S thinking that could be the problem. But nothing . It coggs like something would be to heavy to pull. In the air in doesn’t moves the wheels neither :(

What do you think? I’m so disappointed that I’m about to quit this great hobby :(
I lengthed the wires from the motor with 14AWG wires. Hadn’t bigger ones. Maybe it could be that 🧐
Motor Wiring is neat and all. Just the gages don't match. But should not be the main issue IMHO.
Zero timing (y)
How many kv's on this Rocket motor??
Running 4s??
Need to recalibrate the Radio with the ESC every time you swap out an ESC.
Is the radio set to Normal or Reverse for the Throttle channel?
Does the rig run faster in Reverse than Forward, if sitting on the bench?
Check these first. :cool:

Last edited:
Hi SrC and thank you for your reply! I didn´t get that on the wires. You say I did a bad job there? I need some bigger 10 AWG wires to finalise that properly.
Rocket 1650 KV
I think I only need to calibrate and try again. At the beginning it was indeed running faster in reverse. Forward almost just crawling and the receiver was steering in AVC mode. I was about to quit the hobby xD... After changing the motor program to CCW to CW or the other way it wasnt better so I switched the cables/wires and it was OK again.
Thanks!

Hi Sandracer from NL :D How your rigs go on sand? I would have some concerns growing up on the chilean coast...

I went from 13t to 18t and then 23t. The motor turned OK outside the car or without mesh. It was a bad connection on one wire last time. Now I need to recalibrate the transmitter/receiver/ESC and look how it goes. Yesterday I just did a short run and it was OK on 4S but not fast at all.

What was your reason for going up with that motor? My original idea was to put the 8S electronics from the Kraton (4685 motor I think) in the Mojave. But having an old 150A ESC (probably broken) I bought the Rocket 4092 for doing the first rides without needing to disassemble the Kraton... How were your temps with the smaller 4082 motor? Did you have a fan there?
Best regards to NL ☺
I really like driving on the sand, my bearings not so much 🤣.
The Mojave is not so fast on 4s (top speed). The Max6/4985 is perfect for the Mojave👍. I wanted that combo from the beginning, but since I had a Quicrun and 4082 (2000kv) as spare parts I tried that combo first and on 4s. Still fun, but after a while you just want more power😉. The 4082 ran a bit hotter, probably since I ran it more full throttle compared to the 4985.
I see you are from Germany, have a look at Conrad.de at one of the best 6s rc cars price/quality wise: Reely Raptor. That is so much fun on 4s I even never tried it on 6s. Left the brand new one, right my modified one.😎
F02E3C00-C88A-40C5-A27D-DF076725CEEC.jpeg

Kv is fine then.(y) Gearing seems fine also.
Wiring is ok for now. Not too concerned about that. Very neat job actually.(y)
Reason for cogging is that reverse power has always less speed/power output , should be always anyway.
Cogging resulted. Is there a motor reverse setting on your ESC?
Return motor wires to A-B-C correctly and change the Reverse/forward motor setting at the ESC.
Another recalibration is needed again if motor rotation is corrected. Full power going forward direction. Slower in Reverse. How you know it is correct at this point.

The Mojave is not so fast on 4s (top speed). The Max6/4985 is perfect for the Mojave👍. I wanted that combo from the beginning, but since I had a Quicrun and 4082 (2000kv) as spare parts I tried that combo first and on 4s. Still fun, but after a while you just want more power😉. The 4082 ran a bit hotter, probably since I ran it more full throttle compared to the 4985.
I see you are from Germany, have a look at Conrad.de at one of the best 6s rc cars price/quality wise: Reely Raptor. That is so much fun on 4s I even never tried it on 6s. Left the brand new one, right my modified one.😎
View attachment 210167
Wow, that looks like a lot of fun!! That modified Reely looks awesome! But I don´t want to buy another car yet. I have 3 x 1/10 (1 crawler and 2 scts), 1x 1/5 Kraton and now the Mojave. I thought one Mojave should be enough also. :( haha
Your 4985 - Mojave is running with what kind of oil in the shocks and differentials? Because the combo is quite heavy, isn´t it?
Yes I´m from Bavaria. No beach here. Mainly cow gras xD Would like to be on my Hometown in Chile sometimes...
Kv is fine then.(y) Gearing seems fine also.
Wiring is ok for now. Not too concerned about that. Very neat job actually.(y)
Reason for cogging is that reverse power has always less speed/power output , should be always anyway.
Cogging resulted. Is there a motor reverse setting on your ESC?
Return motor wires to A-B-C correctly and change the Reverse/forward motor setting at the ESC.
Another recalibration is needed again if motor rotation is corrected. Full power going forward direction. Slower in Reverse. How you know it is correct at this point.

OK!
I changed the wires like in the last picture. Changing blue and orange ones. Put the program on default (i think CCW) and the transmitter on normal throttle and it went normal. Faster forward..
Thanks!

For the wiring, if you cant get 10G, use 2x14G for each run. Parallel cabling is done all the time in utility work. Just keep the parallel cables the same length.
You are right. I didn´t thought about going that way. But I´ll get some thicker wires I think :)

View attachment 210167
On the first look I thought it was a Rocket (that one from Ali or Bangood) It´s probably the same?

Wow, that looks like a lot of fun!! That modified Reely looks awesome! But I don´t want to buy another car yet. I have 3 x 1/10 (1 crawler and 2 scts), 1x 1/5 Kraton and now the Mojave. I thought one Mojave should be enough also. :( haha
Your 4985 - Mojave is running with what kind of oil in the shocks and differentials? Because the combo is quite heavy, isn´t it?
Yes I´m from Bavaria. No beach here. Mainly cow gras xD Would like to be on my Hometown in Chile sometimes...
Yes, my Mojave is quite heavy with two 3s 8000 lipo’s and reinforced body. Diffs oils are stock 10k/100/10 wit the LSD settings in stock setup as well (max/max/min). There are quite a few that think that setup resembles a bit an open diff setup of 30/300/10.
Due to its’ weight I had the chassis hitting the ground more after small jumps. So for shock oils I went up to 1000cst. More stability during cornering also👍. Only downside it has less of that cool looking plush suspension, but still OK.

First Gas after calibrating

D672FF31-84B6-4CC0-BB86-17D4D5388BC6.jpeg

36EA7154-50B3-4D93-859E-E6808A7E5B4A.jpeg

1076D778-8462-4C96-B024-BAF1284E14E8.jpeg

BA951792-F7C2-4DA3-AE21-4E6232E94658.jpeg

075144D2-30B3-490E-B5BB-D0E82413D516.jpeg

643AC760-196E-4DB1-8B67-37D433237680.jpeg

After a Long working day I just wanted to see if the calibration works . It was so insane fast and fun that I rode 10-15
mins :D. On the pavement she accelerated quite nice. Top speed was probably quite high but the Mojave is so stable, that it doesn’t feels so fast. On the gras it has that “cool looking plush” suspension! Absorbing holes 🕳 or small bumps super well. I did a jump over the street and before or while landing brake and did a front flip without having put the clips on the body. But it hold well also :))

Nice car! I think maybe a bit stiffer setup would be better when running bigger LiPos. Now I just went with one 4S hard case 6750 mAh

Thanks for all your answers and help 👍🏼
First Gas after calibrating

D672FF31-84B6-4CC0-BB86-17D4D5388BC6.jpeg

36EA7154-50B3-4D93-859E-E6808A7E5B4A.jpeg

I think those guys were quite sweating inside 🤣🤣🤣🤣

1076D778-8462-4C96-B024-BAF1284E14E8.jpeg

BA951792-F7C2-4DA3-AE21-4E6232E94658.jpeg

075144D2-30B3-490E-B5BB-D0E82413D516.jpeg

643AC760-196E-4DB1-8B67-37D433237680.jpeg

After a Long working day I just wanted to see if the calibration works . It was so insane fast and fun that I rode 10-15
mins :D. On the pavement she accelerated quite nice. Top speed was probably quite high but the Mojave is so stable, that it doesn’t feels so fast. On the gras it has that “cool looking plush” suspension! Absorbing holes 🕳 or small bumps super well. I did a jump over the street and before or while landing brake and did a front flip without having put the clips on the body. But it hold well also :))

Nice car! I think maybe a bit stiffer setup would be better when running bigger LiPos. Now I just went with one 4S hard case 6750 mAh

Thanks for all your answers and help 👍🏼
Yes, my Mojave is quite heavy with two 3s 8000 lipo’s and reinforced body. Diffs oils are stock 10k/100/10 wit the LSD settings in stock setup as well (max/max/min). There are quite a few that think that setup resembles a bit an open diff setup of 30/300/10.
Due to its’ weight I had the chassis hitting the ground more after small jumps. So for shock oils I went up to 1000cst. More stability during cornering also👍. Only downside it has less of that cool looking plush suspension, but still OK.
Thanks for your infos on Setup. I don’t now yet how this LSD work. I only read about going with higher viscosity...
1000 cst seems like a lot, but probably quite good for that big setup 👌🏼 :D
Nothing about stiffer springs? I ordered some set from Ali for another car for just 3-4€ and they were really top 👍🏼

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back