Mojave Motor and ESC upgrade suggestions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DusterRR

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Im looking to upgrade the esc and motor and plan to run on 4S. For an esc I’m looking at the EZ Run Max8 G2 or the mamba monster X.

These 3 motors have caught my eye but I’m not sure.
Hobbywing 4278SD V2 2250Kv
Hobbywing 4268SD v2 2500Kv
Castle 1515 V2 2200Kv

Some of my thoughts are. Would the 2500 have enough torque? Would the 2250 being larger be as quick on 4S? Which would hood up the best. Any thoughts ideas and real world experience would be much appreciated.

This is for a Mojave 4s, correct?
I know that the 3s line (Typhon/Vorteks/Big Rock etc) does not have space for a 42mm motor. Considering that the motormount/center diff housing fits the 3s line, I don't think the 4278/4268 motors fit. I think the 1515 is too long.

A 4076 motor seems to be the max in a 3s line car:
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/looking-to-upgrade.35763/#post-489205

Maaayyybe a 1415 2400kv fits.

Edit:
He runs 1515 motors in his 4s rigs, so maybe I am wrong! @HZRDOS
2023-11-10_16-52-37.jpg

No sure about fitment.
But a 2250 that does fit, running 4s packs would be fine with a light 4x4 chassis. On paper. Geared properly of course, watching your temps this way.
I wouldn't go with 2500kv or higher, if you are looking for a good balance of torque and running cool.
Go HW Sensored, whatever you choose. For bashing.
Just me.

Correct it is for a Mojave 4S. I assumed those motors would fit because I’ve seen a 4268 in a Senton and the Mojave 4S center diff in a Senton.

yes, my driving style is pretty much just park bashing. I’m looking for good throttle response and torque. The stock electronics have that dead spot out on the initial pull of the throttle.

I'm running a max 8 2600kv 16 tooth pinion in a kraton 4s. 3s and 4s runs cool. I just took off the heatsink and 40x40 12v fan. Finally feel good enough in 2weeks to go run a 3s and 4s. Any smaller pinion rubs against the driveshaft.

yes, my driving style is pretty much just park bashing. I’m looking for good throttle response and torque. The stock electronics have that dead spot out on the initial pull of the throttle.
Just curious, have you've upgraded the stock transmitter/receiver yet? They have some noticeable lag compared to even cheap upgrades like DumboRC or Radiolink transmitter/receiver combos.
You may still want to upgrade esc/motor also, but if using the Spektrum SLT3 you'll still have a touch of lag compared to an upgraded transmitter/receiver.

I would consider the new bl150a quikrun esc..imo best 6s esc under 100$...they have a 5s option which is very nice .all other escz ya must turn the lvc off to run 5s..strongest esc ive ever owned..my old quilrun couldn't be killed..far as motor I'd go 40mm an the longer ya go more torque an lower temps you'll have,but extra weight cause more damage during crashing an kills all out performce..I'd go lowest kv gearing will allow just so temps wouldn't be a concern. Higher kv equals higher temps an stress on electronics..tp power usa has a tp3640-2600kv motor on clearance right now. 85$..36×74mm would also be a great option an it would run great with quikrun esc
Best bang for buck setup..if there is no budget I'd definitely go more radical thou😅😂🤣😆

Screenshot_20231110_111858_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20231110_111954_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Far as motor fitment..anything over 40mm dia an ya could have problem with clearing centershaft...so 42mm can could be an issue unless ya run larger gears to move motor away from shadt..I've shoehorned a 1721 48mm at fins in my kraton chassis speedcar.wasnt easy to do

20231110_113424.jpg

Is the DX3 compatible with the stock SR315 that came with the Mojo 4s? I see DX3 radios on ebay for $25.
Maybe the OP just wants more power, IDK but from what I've seen of the Mojo 4s, it gets on pretty good stock?🤷‍♂️
Also, the only difference between a 40 and 42mm motor is the cooling fins. I wouldn't hesitate to grind them off if needed to clear a chassis🤷‍♂️😉
Correct it is for a Mojave 4S. I assumed those motors would fit because I’ve seen a 4268 in a Senton and the Mojave 4S center diff in a Senton.

It sure is fast.. and useless for anything besides blasting up and down the block🤷‍♂️ whoopee!!🤣🤣 I know, some actually find that fun.. just not my thing.✌

Far as motor fitment..anything over 40mm dia an ya could have problem with clearing centershaft...so 42mm can could be an issue unless ya run larger gears to move motor away from shadt..I've shoehorned a 1721 48mm at fins in my kraton chassis speedcar.wasnt easy to do

View attachment 331162
Respect!

I've owned two Max8 g2s, one caught on fire and the other had programing issues out of the box. Both ended up in the garbage can. I've had good luck with Castle and Hobbywing anything else.

With out heatsink got to about 125 degrees running in grass,dirt and jumping 4ft mound of wood chips. Wide open 2 times. The motor fits with maybe 2mm to spare,even with the ribbed heatsink that used to be there. 85mm from motor mount to the first esc support on the chassi. I bought the 2600kv for my limitless. The one website I read the description said 2s-6s,WRONG. When it came and I realized
1699641781545831793620336619055.jpg
3s-4s🤦‍♂️💩🤦 a few choice words!!! I test fit my 4s rc it fit. And months later put in after stock 2400kv died. I don't drive hard I'd say moderate bashing to survive the day.

Just curious, have you've upgraded the stock transmitter/receiver yet? They have some noticeable lag compared to even cheap upgrades like DumboRC or Radiolink transmitter/receiver combos.
You may still want to upgrade esc/motor also, but if using the Spektrum SLT3 you'll still have a touch of lag compared to an upgraded transmitter/receiver.
I have upgraded to a futaba 4PM plus. However I am using a Corona receiver which hasn’t been an issue with my crawlers.

Yes the truck is an animal. It just feels like there should be just a bit more to become a beast. I want a sensored system for sure.

When I run I normally don't touch the brakes, just coast,quick hard turn scrub some speed. Or light usage of the brakes. With the fan and heatsink and little brake usage temps are usually no higher than 100 degrees. When I ran today heavy on the brakes half throttle + and no heatsink or fan about 125 maybe 130. Hot but I could still hold the motor with pressure. Remembered my temp gun when my bash spot came into view.

Thank you all for the input it’s much appreciated.

It sounds like I’ll try to stay around 40mm to avoid grinding off cooling fins. the stock motor is 2400Kv so something lower in Kv than that. Kind of brings me back to the castle monster x 1515 2200kv combo.

K-Bash in your opinion what does more radical look like. Lol

Thank you all for the input it’s much appreciated.

It sounds like I’ll try to stay around 40mm to avoid grinding off cooling fins. the stock motor is 2400Kv so something lower in Kv than that. Kind of brings me back to the castle monster x 1515 2200kv combo.

K-Bash in your opinion what does more radical look like. Lol
I only speedrun anymore..When picking motors 1st I decide volts I'm gonna run...then I make sure I've got ,can fit the gearing in the power module.ive done plenty of park bashing in the past an have learned more weight destroys performance in them so in your case I'd pay attention to weight of motor...if I was to go for a badazz mojave 4s setup I'd probly go for a tp4050-2100kv or a tp3650-2060kv..outa the smaller 6s escz I'd want one with mounting screws in the bottom of it for a sct for sure an castle mm2,mmx6s don't,not sure about the sidewinder 1/8...so hobbywing bl150a v1 max8...seen alot of bad things on the new max8s...

Can't compare much, but I run the Mamba Monster X 1515 2200kv combo in 4 of my 4s rigs. Two of them are the Kraton 4S V2 and OC 4S V2. This combo RIPS on 4s. And can throw a 6s pack in just for stupid fun.

Can't compare much, but I run the Mamba Monster X 1515 2200kv combo in 4 of my 4s rigs. Two of them are the Kraton 4S V2 and OC 4S V2. This combo RIPS on 4s. And can throw a 6s pack in just for stupid fun.
What pinion do you like with that combo? I know gearing is different. The Mojave has a 16 tooth pinion and the Kraton 4S comes with a 13 if I’m not mistaken. With the 1515 I’m thinking of going with a 19 or 20.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back