Typhon motor bearing went, what would you do?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jedijed

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Kraton 4s
  3. Mojave
  4. Typhon 6s
My motor bearing went out yesterday, it looks like it got some contamination, aka dirt inside the bearings. The rotor itself seems ok, I ordered some Jim's bearings, but I am worried that I might not put it together correctly.

-Any tips on rebuilding?

What would you do?

-File a claim with Arrma for a motor replacement or rebuild?
-Try to fix it myself?
-Do one of the above and buy a new motor
-Buy another stock motor?
- Buy an aftermarket motor? -will aftermarket motors work with the stock ESC? It looks like the stock ESC is 4mm plugs and most aftermarket motors are 6.5mm plugs.
-Just a motor or ESC and Motor Combo? I would like something that runs cooler, could be not as powerful, since this car is primarily run on a friend's very large track and full power on 6s is unnecessary. What motor and ESC do you recommend for running cooler and having the same or less power than stock.

My motor bearing went out yesterday, it looks like it got some contamination, aka dirt inside the bearings. The rotor itself seems ok, I ordered some Jim's bearings, but I am worried that I might not put it together correctly.

-Any tips on rebuilding?

What would you do?

-File a claim with Arrma for a motor replacement or rebuild?
-Try to fix it myself?
-Do one of the above and buy a new motor
-Buy another stock motor?
- Buy an aftermarket motor? -will aftermarket motors work with the stock ESC? It looks like the stock ESC is 4mm plugs and most aftermarket motors are 6.5mm plugs.
-Just a motor or ESC and Motor Combo? I would like something that runs cooler, could be not as powerful, since this car is primarily run on a friend's very large track and full power on 6s is unnecessary. What motor and ESC do you recommend for running cooler and having the same or less power than stock.
I’d recommend a max6 4985 combo
Runs super cool with lots of torque if you want I believe you can run 3S if you would like
@Mr.Duke is running this

I’d recommend a max6 4985 combo
Runs super cool with lots of torque if you want I believe you can run 3S if you would like
@Mr.Duke is running this

Thanks for the info, looks like these range in price dramatically and are out of stock in most places. Do you have a recommended online retailer you like to use?

Also, I live in the Northwest where it's often muddy, which is why I think my bearing went in the first place, I was shocked to see that the stock Arrma motor bearings are not sealed. I wonder if the Hobbywing has better sealed bearings. I am bummed, because I just truggified the Typhon with my leftover Kraton stock hubs and it was absolutely onwing on the muddy track with some lockup tires, and then it just died, good thing I took my Mojave out too!

Thanks for the info, looks like these range in price dramatically and are out of stock in most places. Do you have a recommended online retailer you like to use?

Also, I live in the Northwest where it's often muddy, which is why I think my bearing went in the first place, I was shocked to see that the stock Arrma motor bearings are not sealed. I wonder if the Hobbywing has better sealed bearings. I am bummed, because I just truggified the Typhon with my leftover Kraton stock hubs and it was absolutely onwing on the muddy track with some lockup tires, and then it just died, good thing I took my Mojave out too!
where in the northwest?
I like jims bearings, speaking of i think i have some coming today!

for retailer i like i use id just recommend eBay. just make sure the seller has good feedback

where in the northwest?
I like jims bearings, speaking of i think i have some coming today!

I ordered the Jim's bearings for the stock motor already, hopefully I can get that back together and have a spare if I go with the Hobbywing combo. I live in Portland and my buddy has a track down near Wilsonville. Are you on the NW as well?

Well that ESC and Motor combo is backordered. I need to find another option I suppose.

The bearings are easy to replace. I just changed two of them out of other vehicles I had the other day. Of course, upgrade whatever you like but you don’t NEED a new motor. Also, yes, other motors will work with the BLX185.

Well that ESC and Motor combo is backordered. I need to find another option I suppose.

I found one and ordered it!
ok, one more question. I have never done an ESC upgrade. I assume I need to buy EC5 connectors and solder or crimp them in. Any tips here? I found 4mm EC5 connectors, but I wonder if I should be looking for 6.5mm

I had one bearing gone bad and I replaced it and it's running fine ever since (a year).

What version of the car do you have? the v4 motor mount protect the bearings much more than the v3, so I would consider upgrading to it.
Also you can seal the extra unused mounting holes on the motor with some dielectric grease.

I found one and ordered it!
ok, one more question. I have never done an ESC upgrade. I assume I need to buy EC5 connectors and solder or crimp them in. Any tips here? I found 4mm EC5 connectors, but I wonder if I should be looking for 6.5mm
You would need adapters, 4mm male to 6.5mm female. To run the HW4985 1650kv motor with the BLX ESC.

Edit: Or solder on 6.5mm bullet plugs to the BLX ESC. Most members will state to solder with as many amps that are running these power plants.

You would need adapters, 4mm male to 6.5mm female. To run the HW4985 1650kv motor with the BLX ESC.

Edit: Or solder on 6.5mm bullet plugs to the BLX ESC. Most members will state to solder with as many amps that are running these power plants.
I would directly solder exactly for that reasons

Bearing replacement difficulty: easy to medium.
Max6 combo is currently shipped with crappy bearings and you would want to change those as well. (Made in taiwan with max rpm or 32k on a 40k rpm motor). Just changed those myself last week.

How to:
Take a picture when taking off the back, couple wavy washers and one extension. Place them back in the same order.
Bearing removal, front is easy just push it out.
Rear bearing use the bread trick, search youtube or the forum.
Use loctite when save all the screws. Search forum for other threads on this topic.

Take a look at the kevlar wrapping, it it looks damaged might as well buy a new motor. Guaranteed to die.

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/here-goes-my-second-motor.15204/page-3#post-292673
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/blx-motor.20999/page-2#post-290338

Almost every motor that you can buy has non sealed bearings, I've never seen any that come with sealed bearings anyway. Most of the aftermarket ones are hybrid style with a seal on only one side.

Thanks everybody. I am going to try to replace the bearings, but I also have a new Max6 combo coming too. I have three 6s BLX 185 trucks, so I may as well have an extra motor. It might make sense to run the upgraded motor on the Kraton or Mojave though, the little Typhon does not need more power, and I actually wonder if this will even fit the short chassis.

Thanks everybody. I am going to try to replace the bearings, but I also have a new Max6 combo coming too. I have three 6s BLX 185 trucks, so I may as well have an extra motor. It might make sense to run the upgraded motor on the Kraton or Mojave though, the little Typhon does not need more power, and I actually wonder if this will even fit the short chassis.
That motor should fit as the chassis is the same as the outcast I think??

Yeah no need for more power in the Typhon fo sho. And yes as long as you have a V4 Typhon or the M2C or PPS motor mount it will bolt right up. Like @Overpowerrc said the Outcast and Typhon use the same chassis.

@PPS-RC which unit do I need to run the 4985SL-1650KV? There’s a couple options on your site...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back