Kraton Motor combination for use with Castle Creations Mamba Monster X 8S

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackops

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well I kind of got my self in a pickle with my Castle Creations Mamba Monster X 8S ESC and 1717 (1650kv) motor as I was trying to change out the pinion gear from 18T to 20T, and trying to adjust the 20T or change it out but in the process snapped the hex driver off in the grub screw. As some of you know from my other post on how to fix or remdy the situation. I tried to drill it out but that did not work so instead I am sending the motor to Castle to hopefully fix under non warranty work.

But in the mean time would you have any recommendations for another motor that I could and should run with the CC MM X 8S ESC. I did not know if I would have any issues running something else with the Castle ESC or what you think would be the best motor to run.

Was thinking maybe a Hobbywing but was not sure.

Figured it would eventually would be a spare I would have once I get the Castle one back. Any guidance or help always greatly appreciated.

Hobbywing 4985 1650 would be very similar.
@jondilly1974 thanks again for your opinion as always. So would it just be plugging it in and running like normal?
Just have to program the Castle ESC and go from there.

Also the higher KV means more power and faster motor correct? So when looking at the 800kv one why does it cost significantly more than the 1650kv motor?

@jondilly1974 thanks again for your opinion as always. So would it just be plugging it in and running like normal?
Just have to program the Castle ESC and go from there.

Also the higher KV means more power and faster motor correct? So when looking at the 800kv one why does it cost significantly more than the 1650kv motor?
You might need to make a few changes depending on how you had the MMX8S programmed with the 1717. You could simply default the settings and go from there.

As far as the 2028-800kv being more expensive, it is quite a bit larger and way more power than the 1717-1650. But you need the space for a can that big too. It’s almost the size of a soda can.

@jondilly1974 thanks good to know about resetting the MMX8S ESC. May end up trying to do that.

So the 800kv is more powerful that the 1650kv and would end up being faster overall then? I am still trying to figure out how things are and what things mean on how naming designation work or mean.

Good to know yeah not sure I could fit a soda can in the machine and don't think I would anyway. But good to know at least.

Hobbywing 4985 1650 would be very similar.
Hey @jondilly1974 yeah I just ordered the Hobbywing 4985 1650kv for the time being. Since I called Castle to find out what the turn around time would be and they said something in late September at the earliest. So figured this would work out for the time being and at least be able to run the Kraton.

Do you happen to know if my Mod 1 5mm bore Robinson Racing pinion gears would work with the Hobbywing or do I need to get different pinion gear as well?

Last edited:
Hey @jondilly1974 yeah I just ordered the Hobbywing 4985 1650kv for the time being. Since I called Castle to find out what the turn around time would be and they said something in late September at the earliest. So figured this would work out for the time being and at least be able to run the Kraton.

Do you happen to know if my Mod 1 5mm bore Robinson Racing pinion gears would work with the Hobbywing or do I need to get different pinion gear as well?
Oh yeah those will work fine

Is there a reason why I would only be getting 45mph on the GPS when running a fresh 6S lipo and on a 21T pinion gear? Shouldn't it be way faster max speed?

Is there a reason why I would only be getting 45mph on the GPS when running a fresh 6S lipo and on a 21T pinion gear? Shouldn't it be way faster max speed?
Did you calibrate the ESC?

Must be the way its programed or its running in reverse-forward
What do you mean running in reverse-forward?

Did you calibrate the ESC?
What do you mean calibrate the ESC? Is there a special calibration you need to do? I did the throttle calibration that was in the quick start guide (1. Radio on battery plugged in ESC off 2: hold full throttle turn ESC on (green LED) 3: When red LED flashes, go to full reverse 4: when yellow LED flashes go to neutral 5: armed and ready). So unless it did not actually do it then maybe that is it or if there is some other calibration you are talking about.

What do you mean running in reverse-forward?

What do you mean calibrate the ESC? Is there a special calibration you need to do? I did the throttle calibration that was in the quick start guide (1. Radio on battery plugged in ESC off 2: hold full throttle turn ESC on (green LED) 3: When red LED flashes, go to full reverse 4: when yellow LED flashes go to neutral 5: armed and ready). So unless it did not actually do it then maybe that is it or if there is some other calibration you are talking about.
Yep that’s the calibration. The other issue is some radios need to be set for reverse throttle. For some reason they are backwards. So on your radio, set throttle to reverse. Then in the castle setup set the throttle for reverse as well, then calibrate again and it should work as expected. I know it’s counter intuitive but it’s just the way it has to be done.

Yep that’s the calibration. The other issue is some radios need to be set for reverse throttle. For some reason they are backwards. So on your radio, set throttle to reverse. Then in the castle setup set the throttle for reverse as well, then calibrate again and it should work as expected. I know it’s counter intuitive but it’s just the way it has to be done.
WTH that is total ar$e backwards and totally counter intuitive like you said 😂
Well I didn't have the channel 2 reverse on the Futaba transmitter, so I change that from normal to reverse. And I will change the motor direction in the Castle Link programming software from Normal to Reverse and we'll. Then re-calibrate the ESC. That should do it you think?

WTH that is total ar$e backwards and totally counter intuitive like you said 😂
Well I didn't have the channel 2 reverse on the Futaba transmitter, so I change that from normal to reverse. And I will change the motor direction in the Castle Link programming software from Normal to Reverse and we'll. Then re-calibrate the ESC. That should do it you think?
Yep that’s the Reverse Polish logic that is needed.

@jondilly1974 and @TriggerHappy well that reverse polish logic did the trick. I never would have figured it out, that is so totally ar$e backwards it makes no sense at all and not a way of thinking my brain would even go to think to troubleshoot....hey why don't we reverse the programming and throttle channel that has to be it LOL :ROFLMAO:

So took it out and ran it, hit 58mph and 59mph, I was back to the 18T pinion since I was not sure what was going on. So I am sure now if I put on that 21T it would hit 110mph just like @TriggerHappy forsaw LOL :ROFLMAO:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back