Motor lead desoldered

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Velodromed

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Kraton 4s
  5. Notorious
  6. Outcast 4s
  7. Vorteks
  8. Voltage
  9. Infraction 4x4
The motor is only a few months old., It’s a surpass 4068. Looks like the solder let loose and doesn’t look like it was a well done job. I’ve read that soldering motor wires is not easy, if the wires are the ‘stiff’ kind, as these seem to be. But since it looks like the solder just let loose, can I clean, tin and try?

IMG_9235.jpeg

IMG_9232.jpeg

Yes... They are only tough to solder if you cut them back.. because of the coating on the strands.. but the end you have is ready to accept solder again...

That wire had a very poor connection at that terminal... that's why it melted the solder.. make sure the connection is clean before running it again, or you will be back to where you are now..

I had this happen to the EXACT same motor. Two of them actually--4068 surpass motors bought at different times. Surpass just does low quality solder joints.

Words for wise, don't cut back the motor leads. The wires are coated and, while you will be able to get solder on the wires, it won't be the same as stock and will cause issues. Both motors of mine never seemed to work the same after cutting them back and resoldering. Worked OK on light or medium throttle, but once I would try to hit 3/4 or full throttle it would cause sputtering. Ended up having to swap in a new motor to solve the issue.

I'm not sure what the manufacturers use to clean off the coating before they solder, but I would only advise using the factory solder location.

My two cents lesson learned here is that the only time I would consider cutting back motor leads is if the wire is rubber sleeved, AWG stranded wire like this:
1690816649073.png

1690816761926.png

Yes... They are only tough to solder if you cut them back.. because of the coating on the strands.. but the end you have is ready to accept solder again...

That wire had a very poor connection at that terminal... that's why it melted the solder.. make sure the connection is clean before running it again, or you will be back to where you are now..
Thank you! I’ll be careful and do exactly that. Yes, it looks like a really bad solder. But as you said, it’s not burnt or damaged at least.
I had this happen to the EXACT same motor. Two of them actually--4068 surpass motors bought at different times. Surpass just does low quality solder joints.

Words for wise, don't cut back the motor leads. The wires are coated and, while you will be able to get solder on the wires, it won't be the same as stock and will cause issues. Both motors of mine never seemed to work the same after cutting them back and resoldering. Worked OK on light or medium throttle, but once I would try to hit 3/4 or full throttle it would cause sputtering. Ended up having to swap in a new motor to solve the issue.

I'm not sure what the manufacturers use to clean off the coating before they solder, but I would only advise using the factory solder location.

My two cents lesson learned here is that the only time I would consider cutting back motor leads is if the wire is rubber sleeved, AWG stranded wire like this:
View attachment 314558
View attachment 314559
Yup that’s how I understand it as well. The hard wires shouldn’t be cut. Floppy ones are ok. I’ll try to resolver this one as cameroboy said to do. Thanks!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back