Infraction my experience with @westozRC solid tires

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
this thread is here for the benefit of anyone who plans on buying @WestOz RC solid rubber tires and for him.
im just going to document everything i do from prepping the rims, gluing, how they stay stuck and most importantly Wear.
i'm just about to start running on 6s so i will burn through a new set of silvers and see how they last so that i can compare the wear
i should also mention that my rear camber is set to roughly 90 degrees and front is stock, toe is stock and diff fluids are 30k, 100k, 12k
Will get some photo's of me flattening out the proline mach 10 rims tomorrow whilst i wait for the actual tires to arrive

Really looking forward to seeing how these do. Have you ever run GRP Tires?
nope never run them as cant get them in the uk, only place i found was on ebay but it was about £85 to get a set posted when i can buy 4 silver hoons for £60
Right, rims arrived this morning so i started getting them prepped which mainly includes grinding off the two ridges so that the rings can be slid over and glued, also roughed up the centre section where there is normally no glue to help with adhesion.
To do this i just used a sanding wheel on a dremel.
But you need to be a bit cautious because it tends to flick real hot plastic dust at you which isnt nice, also coated my worktop in it
other than that not too bad of a job, not too time consuming and its not really difficult either

1663871895105.png

1663871943668.png

1663871969726.png

Last edited:
took the car out on 6s for the first time today, 2x 3s 5000mah floreon lipo's and its an animal, only ever ran it on 3 or 4s before as been waiting for new connectors to arrive but anyways, onto the real stuff.
Front tires wore 0.75mm (outside edge dia, camber not 90 so insides will go quicker)
Rear tires wore 1.15mm (90 degree camber, pretty even wear across)
so after that im predicted maybe 3 or 4 packs if im lucky which is what i got out of white hoons on 3s

took the car out on 6s for the first time today, 2x 3s 5000mah floreon lipo's and its an animal, only ever ran it on 3 or 4s before as been waiting for new connectors to arrive but anyways, onto the real stuff.
Front tires wore 0.75mm (outside edge dia, camber not 90 so insides will go quicker)
Rear tires wore 1.15mm (90 degree camber, pretty even wear across)
so after that im predicted maybe 3 or 4 packs if im lucky which is what i got out of white hoons on 3s
just for a heads up once you get good at drifting your tire life drops rapidly . used to get 6 /8 battery packs out of GRP S7s now get 2/3 with rotating the tires . wouldn't have it any other way. just make sure you have a very large run space & any spectators are in a safe zone

just for a heads up once you get good at drifting your tire life drops rapidly . used to get 6 /8 battery packs out of GRP S7s now get 2/3 with rotating the tires . wouldn't have it any other way. just make sure you have a very large run space & any spectators are in a safe zone
Yeah I’m pretty good at drifting, don’t have the space to do continuous circles most of the time unless I head away from the farm to a massive concrete pad that’s part of old MOD land

everything went horribly wrong and i might have just ruined one of my sleeves, applied proline tire glue to the rim and began sliding the sleeve over the rim and bugger me i got it 3/4 the way on there a it wouldnt budge - the glue had already began setting so in a bit of a panic i sprayed wd-40 hoping to atleast weaken the bond then kept prying at it, got a little bit of the inside edge unstuck but its still not moving, got some ca debonder coming and hoping i can get it off that way, even if i ruin the rim i would rather that than have to chuck the hole lot

everything went horribly wrong and i might have just ruined one of my sleeves, applied proline tire glue to the rim and began sliding the sleeve over the rim and bugger me i got it 3/4 the way on there a it wouldnt budge - the glue had already began setting so in a bit of a panic i sprayed wd-40 hoping to atleast weaken the bond then kept prying at it, got a little bit of the inside edge unstuck but its still not moving, got some ca debonder coming and hoping i can get it off that way, even if i ruin the rim i would rather that than have to chuck the hole lot
CA de-bonder is magic. I used to build WWII models in high school and that stuff is the mother's udders. You should be able to save them. just remember... 🎶 You can't hurry love. No, you just have to wait. 🎶 :)

CA de-bonder is magic. I used to build WWII models in high school and that stuff is the mother's udders. You should be able to save them. just remember... 🎶 You can't hurry love. No, you just have to wait. 🎶 :)
heard it softens plastic so i'll ave to be carfeul if i want to save the rim but aslong as i get the rubber sleeve i wont be too annoyed, got some bob smith industries ic-2000 as i heard it takes about 30-40 seconds to cure and some bob smith debonder so we'll see how it goes

You can't hurry love. No, you just have to wait.
Thought it was ‘You can’t buy me love…’
No, your right it is another ‘wait for it’ thing…’wait for it’ till you can afford it I mean.

Thought it was ‘You can’t buy me love…’
No, your right it is another ‘wait for it’ thing…’wait for it’ till you can afford it I mean.
Can't Hurry Love was Phil Collins and Can't Buy Me Love was The Beatles :)

But yeah. Either wait 'til you can afford or wait for it to arrive (y)
heard it softens plastic so i'll ave to be carfeul if i want to save the rim but aslong as i get the rubber sleeve i wont be too annoyed, got some bob smith industries ic-2000 as i heard it takes about 30-40 seconds to cure and some bob smith debonder so we'll see how it goes
Yeah, I think it would be easier to stomach losing the rim than the tire. Rims are a dime a dozen. Just a stupid question on my part as I've never put "shoes" on in this manner. But wouldn't it be better to put the rubber on fully and then put a thin wedge under it to you can get some full surface contact with the rubber aside from gluing it along the bead? That way you could mitigate the risk of getting stuck 3/4 of the way down the rim. Just a thought from a rookie :)

Can't Hurry Love was Phil Collins and Can't Buy Me Love was The Beatles :)

But yeah. Either wait 'til you can afford or wait for it to arrive (y)

Yeah, I think it would be easier to stomach losing the rim than the tire. Rims are a dime a dozen. Just a stupid question on my part as I've never put "shoes" on in this manner. But wouldn't it be better to put the rubber on fully and then put a thin wedge under it to you can get some full surface contact with the rubber aside from gluing it along the bead? That way you could mitigate the risk of getting stuck 3/4 of the way down the rim. Just a thought from a rookie :)
i've got no idea to be honest, i might try that because atleast it cant get stuck, was pretty much following west oz rc's video

i've got no idea to be honest, i might try that
I'm assuming the tires are a tight fit and CA glue tends to set up really quickly when a lot of pressure is applied and the glue is forced into a really thin layer. That's my line of reasoning anyways.

I'm assuming the tires are a tight fit and CA glue tends to set up really quickly when a lot of pressure is applied and the glue is forced into a really thin layer. That's my line of reasoning anyways.
yeah they're a very tight fit so maybe you're right but you could definitely wedge one of those thin applicators in there

Got the tire off, rim didnt survive but i can stomach loosing a tenner because i'll save that after i run a single pack, got a new set of PL Mach 10 rims coming.
Used BSI IC-2000 and ran a 2mm bead along the edge of the rim and pressed the tire over, bit of glue squidges out either side telling me theres plenty there, ran a little bead around the edge once the tire was seated just to fill any little gaps or lips and all seems well.
Sadly wont get to test these things until my spare set of pl mach 10 rims come so maybe a week or so and then we'll get to the real testing!

Finally got the last tire glued mid last week and had a chance today to get out and test them so the results are as follows (all four measured and averaged)
1st pack (9000mah 4s) = the tires were still over 100mm
2nd pack (5000mah 6s) = 99.78
3rd pack (5000mah 6s) = 99.43

Overall very low wear on concrete and the tires had no chunking and didn’t peel on any edges
More testing to come soon

Hey Ollie. Just saw this thread you messaged me about today mate. Sorry to hear you had a bit of drama getting these on mate. Just pour or soak it in some acetone if it happens again and it will clean up real easy mate. The aceton doesn't hurt the rim because it's made of the same plastic that the bottle it comes in. The glue will just melt away.
The trick is to move really fast once you have the glue on the rim.
Another guy slide them onto the rim without glue then bought a bottle with a needle tube, poured the glue into the bottle slipped the needle between the rim and tyre squeezing the glue and worked around the tyre like that.
As I showed on my video, I just cut 2 tyres on an angle and worked around the rim and they have not let go at all. The trick to that method is to cut it on a 45º angle so you have a longer surface area to bond it back together.
Looking forward to hearing the results mate.
Finally got the last tire glued mid last week and had a chance today to get out and test them so the results are as follows (all four measured and averaged)
1st pack (9000mah 4s) = the tires were still over 100mm
2nd pack (5000mah 6s) = 99.78
3rd pack (5000mah 6s) = 99.43

Overall very low wear on concrete and the tires had no chunking and didn’t peel on any edges
More testing to come soon
That's fantastic mate. Hope you're happy so far bud. As you can see, you're getting the same results as I did. Nice one mate.

Hey Ollie. Just saw this thread you messaged me about today mate. Sorry to hear you had a bit of drama getting these on mate. Just pour or soak it in some acetone if it happens again and it will clean up real easy mate. The aceton doesn't hurt the rim because it's made of the same plastic that the bottle it comes in. The glue will just melt away.
The trick is to move really fast once you have the glue on the rim.
Another guy slide them onto the rim without glue then bought a bottle with a needle tube, poured the glue into the bottle slipped the needle between the rim and tyre squeezing the glue and worked around the tyre like that.
As I showed on my video, I just cut 2 tyres on an angle and worked around the rim and they have not let go at all. The trick to that method is to cut it on a 45º angle so you have a longer surface area to bond it back together.
Looking forward to hearing the results mate.

That's fantastic mate. Hope you're happy so far bud. As you can see, you're getting the same results as I did. Nice one mate.
Yeah drama wasn’t a problem, realistically it was my fault because I knew the glue I had dried really quickly but I couldn’t be bothered to wait for the new stuff to come because I thought what’s the worse that could happen, well that I suppose but hey, the others all went perfectly and haven’t budged so I personally think it’s the better way to glue, at least for my surface

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back