Kraton Kraton 6s V5 + upgrade journey

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking good! I've learned a lot here from everyone! I'm still learning the 6s chassis 1-1/2 years in owning my Notorious.
Thanks man, I haven't had a chance to drive this rig yet but I can see my love for the wrenching part being as great as the driving. There are roadblocks but having you guys here makes knocking them down a breeze. One of the biggest things I've learned so far is how bad I need my eyes checked. :LOL:

Where did you get the bearing set from? How’re you holding up after those two nor’easters?

Thanks man, I haven't had a chance to drive this rig yet but I can see my love for the wrenching part being as great as the driving. There are roadblocks but having you guys here makes knocking them down a breeze. One of the biggest things I've learned so far is how bad I need my eyes checked. :LOL:
Yes, I have to wear reading glasses when I wrench & a silly LED light headband thing. It really helps when getting old.

Where did you get the bearing set from? How’re you holding up after those two nor’easters?
Just ordered on Amazon.ca, delivered in 3 days. Love how quickly I can order parts for the K6 with free delivery from there. I have parts arriving all the time, the wife thinks I'm crazy.

Those storms wrecked us on the Cape. 150cm over 3 days and then another 40cm a few days later. Still buried but dug out for the most part.
snow-yup.jpg

Yes, I have to wear reading glasses when I wrench & a silly LED light headband thing. It really helps when getting old.
Haha, I was JUST thinking about getting one of those today. Be like Egon from Ghostbusters. :LOL:

Since my last update here, I've added a couple upgrades.

The first was the front brace. To install this EXB aluminum brace, I needed to flip the top plate so EXB compatible was visible. Gives you proper alignment for the 4mm hole.
View attachment 349892
View attachment 349875
View attachment 349876

Some Loctite and a 12.9 grade M4x20mm cap screw.
View attachment 349877

After I posted about installing the front brace someone mentioned replacing the brass bushings in the steering with bearings the next time I had it apart. So I felt pretty comfortable grabbing a set of these to install.
View attachment 349880

Back in I went. I felt much more comfortable with the job this time round.

I disconnected the two turnbuckles from the Ackerman and the servo horn. I think I'm starting to learn the names of these parts.

This side of the bell crank felt glued on.
View attachment 349882

I just needed to pry up on the bottom of it gently with a small flat head driver. Then it slid right out.
View attachment 349883
View attachment 349884

Installed the bottom bearings, put the bellcrank back on and installed the top bearings.
View attachment 349885

And put it all back together.
View attachment 349886
View attachment 349887

Really noticeable improvement in the steering with this upgrade. Not sure what's next but likely an Aluminum center diff cup. Thanks again for the community help here, you guys are the best.
I told you (I think) that there'd a noticeable difference!

The upgrades continue. The big benefit of all these little jobs is the experience that I get taking the rig apart, over and over.

First up is the front upper rear suspension mount.

1000002171.jpg

Steering deck out.
1000002177.jpg

Old mount removed, EXB on.
1000002181.jpg

These circled screws confused me but I realized they push up against the non threaded ends of the new hinge pins.
1000002180.jpg

1000002183.jpg

While we're here, let's install the EXB Ackerman plate.
1000002160.jpg

Removed stock rack.
1000002184.jpg

EXB steering rack installed.
1000002186.jpg

It was a little frustrating getting this in with the washers.

Next up is the EXB front shock tower.
1000002200.jpg

Stock tower coming out.
1000002189.jpg

1000002190.jpg

Last edited:
First little add-on while I wait on the battery which got held up at customs. A surpass hobby twin fan and heatsink combo. Not sure how good these are but they seemed to be reviewed ok. Supposedly 27k RPM. Easy install, just remove roll bar on top and snap onto motor. Just tied the leads off for now.

View attachment 342359

I'm pretty intimated by the thought of checking my center diff next. I've watched numerous videos on it though. Just gotta study the explodes and jump in I guess.
Take pics as you take things out so you remember where they go back.that usually helps me out especially if a have a few 🍻😁

Take pics as you take things out so you remember where they go back.that usually helps me out especially if a have a few
Great advice, I've been doing this, too. Although, after taking apart the steering/front end so many times, I'm sure I could now do it blindfolded 😂. Much more confident in that area with alll the little jobs.

Great advice, I've been doing this, too. Although, after taking apart the steering/front end so many times, I'm sure I could now do it blindfolded 😂. Much more confident in that area with alll the little jobs.
Yup that's usually the way it goes.experience makes a big difference 👍build is coming out sweet.lets see more 😁

Yup that's usually the way it goes.experience makes a big difference 👍build is coming out sweet.lets see more 😁

That was a question I had actually. Would this be considered a build? Even if I am just looking at what others have done and picking and choosing what I want to do with mine. If so, maybe I should have started this thread in the build section. And lastly, can you have your thread moved there retroactively?

That was a question I had actually. Would this be considered a build? Even if I am just looking at what others have done and picking and choosing what I want to do with mine. If so, maybe I should have started this thread in the build section. And lastly, can you have your thread moved there retroactively?
Anything you do to your RC should be considered a build .I mean your working on it and improving it's functional properties so why wouldn't it not be considered a build 🤷 and I'm sure it's not going to end ,it keeps going .it's a addiction that has no cure .only cure is when your wallet doesn't allow it to happen.

I'm sure @WoodiE can help you move this thread over to the build thread section if that's what you want to do

Build threads is a diary of your rig.what ever you do ,people here with less knowledge will learn from mistakes you make on the way and improvements ( upgrades) on your build.a documentary basically.just make sure to fully explain each step and include pics and vids .plenty of pics at least.

Anything you do to your RC should be considered a build .I mean your working on it and improving it's functional properties so why wouldn't it not be considered a build 🤷 and I'm sure it's not going to end ,it keeps going .it's a addiction that has no cure .only cure is when your wallet doesn't allow it to happen.

I'm sure @WoodiE can help you move this thread over to the build thread section if that's what you want to do

Thanks man, income tax got me a few upgrades this year. It definitely adds up. And some folk say why not just get the EXB when you're doing all the upgrades anyway as it could cost even more in the end, but like I said, it's tough to put a value on the experience gained from all of the work required.

Yeah, if I could move this thread to builds without too much hassle for @WoodiE, that would be cool. (y)

Thanks man, income tax got me a few upgrades this year. It definitely adds up. And some folk say why not just get the EXB when you're doing all the upgrades anyway as it could cost even more in the end, but like I said, it's tough to put a value on the experience gained from all of the work required.

Yeah, if I could move this thread to builds without too much hassle for @WoodiE, that would be cool. (y)
Question for you (the Kraton looks great). Why aren’t you using higher quality upgrade parts from aftermarket brands?

Question for you (the Kraton looks great). Why aren’t you using higher quality upgrade parts from aftermarket brands?
I'd say accessibility and price for the most part. I can get most of the EXB upgrades on Amazon here in Canada at a decent price and have them delivered within 3 days with free shipping. For most other brands I'll need to do cross-border delivery and pay considerably more. I've run into customs issues before and if I can avoid it, I will generally try. I almost got M2C shock towers but after shipping it was a fair bit more. I'm also impatient. :LOL: I'm open to recommendations for any further upgrades.

Next up.

1000002174.jpg

1000002175.jpg

1000002219.jpg

Not sure when I'll get to these but hopefully next week.

Back