My Kyosho Re-Release Shelf Queen Collection

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xjeepguy

Super-Secret Yarmaluthe
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Notorious
It was time to dust the shelf, and I had them all down, I figured I'd take a pic or two to share the collection. I'm only one kit (original Scorpion) away from having them all. Probably ordering that one next week. This is how I decorate my living room 😂.
20240218_155813.jpg

Right row:
Javelin
Optima
Turbo Optima
Turbo Scorpion
Tomahawk
Baja Beetle

Left row:
Optima Mid
Turbo Optima Mid
60th Anniversary Optima Mid
Ultima
60th Anniversary Joel Johnson Ultima

SICK collection bro.

Wish people weren’t so proud of the OG Ultima, or they were in the $150ish area during re-release… 😅
Thanks, that's the second one I built. Once the re-re's are out of stock, the scalpers come out of the woodwork and the values go through the roof. I won't lie, I overpaid for the blue Optima. It's been discontinued, and I wanted it. It wasn't by much, but it was worth it to me.

Thanks, that's the second one I built. Once the re-re's are out of stock, the scalpers come out of the woodwork and the values go through the roof. I won't lie, I overpaid for the blue Optima. It's been discontinued, and I wanted it. It wasn't by much, but it was worth it to me.

I feel ya! I’ve had to put myself in check more than a few times on OG RC10’s, and OG Ultima’s.. The mid-80’s Tamiya’s are more my speed (wallet speed 🤣), but even then-the price for a Wild One is bananas..

It was time to dust the shelf, and I had them all down, I figured I'd take a pic or two to share the collection. I'm only one kit (original Scorpion) away from having them all. Probably ordering that one next week. This is how I decorate my living room 😂. View attachment 349449
Right row:
Javelin
Optima
Turbo Optima
Turbo Scorpion
Tomahawk
Baja Beetle

Left row:
Optima Mid
Turbo Optima Mid
Ultima
You got a lot of bugs (buggies)

It was time to dust the shelf, and I had them all down, I figured I'd take a pic or two to share the collection. I'm only one kit (original Scorpion) away from having them all. Probably ordering that one next week. This is how I decorate my living room 😂. View attachment 349449
Right row:
Javelin
Optima
Turbo Optima
Turbo Scorpion
Tomahawk
Baja Beetle

Left row:
Optima Mid
Turbo Optima Mid
Ultima
Wow .sweet collection you got there.👍.

Right row:
Javelin
Optima
Turbo Optima
Turbo Scorpion
Tomahawk
Baja Beetle

Left row:
Optima Mid
Turbo Optima Mid
Ultima
Brings back memories. I had an Ultima and Turbo Optima

Totally incredible collection. So you never drive them, even gently??
No, these are decoration only. Building these things are like therapy to me. I have been thinking about picking up another Optima Mid to have as a runner, but I doubt these will see dirt while I'm alive lol.

Wow .sweet collection you got there.👍.
Thanks man, I've been obsessed with getting them all lol.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhh

Sometimes it's more then just an r/c to run..

@Xjeepguy awesome work my friend. Who knew therapy could be so beautiful 😍
Thanks brother, Id love to know how many hours I have in building these lol.

Brings back memories. I had an Ultima and Turbo Optima
My first was a Javelin back in 1986. I really want Kyosho to re-release the Ultima Pro XL, and the Triumph. I raced a Triumph for a little over one season.

So did anybody notice that every buggy with a driver is driven by none other than "The Stig"? Some say, he moonlights as a Kyosho team driver....

Last edited:
No, these are decoration only. Building these things are like therapy to me. I have been thinking about picking up another Optima Mid to have as a runner, but I doubt these will see dirt while I'm alive lol.

My first was a Javelin back in 1986. I really want Kyosho to re-release the Ultima Pro XL, and the Triumph. I raced a Triumph for a little over one season.

So did anybody notice that every buggy with a driver is driven by none other than "The Stig"? Some say, he moonlights as a Kyosho team driver....

Same for me-I love building… I love driving too, but shelf queens are shelf queens for sure. 😍

Just enough I'd say, brother. 🙂
Wish you luck on the couple you are still looking for!

Right row:
Javelin
Optima
Turbo Optima
Turbo Scorpion
Tomahawk
Baja Beetle

Left row:
Optima Mid
Turbo Optima Mid
Ultima
That's awesome man, top notch 👌 Ahhh, the memories.

Speaking of Joel "Magic" Johnson...
IMG_0958.JPG

I still haz them.

This is my JRX-Pro that I used to race on dirt oval back in the day wearing Custom Works Dominator skins and my Team Novak T-4 ESC is still seeing active service in a WLTOYS 124018.
IMG_0959.JPG
IMG_0960.JPG

That's awesome man, top notch 👌 Ahhh, the memories.

Speaking of Joel "Magic" Johnson...
View attachment 349512
I still haz them.

This is my JRX-Pro that I used to race on dirt oval back in the day wearing Custom Works Dominator skins and my Team Novak T-4 ESC is still seeing active service in a WLTOYS 124018.
View attachment 349513View attachment 349514
Wow, a JRX Pro. Haven't seen one of those for a while. Great buggy. The good ol Novak T-4. You couldn't beat a Novak ESC back then. That's awesome man.

Wow, a JRX Pro. Haven't seen one of those for a while. Great buggy. The good ol Novak T-4. You couldn't beat a Novak ESC back then. That's awesome man.
I love Team Losi's vehicles from that era. To my recollection they were the first cars that really went in a new direction compared to their contemporaries and, considering what you got, they were affordable-ish and didn't require a boatload of aftermarket parts (the custom builds of the pros back then were insane to the point where virtually/literally nothing on the car was stock. Custom made transmissions and one-off suspension systems that would only be seen once on that one car. 4WD cars, at the time, were in a completely different price league with the world championships just saturated and dominated by Yokomo YZ-10s for years. My personal dream car was the Custom Works Dominator but that was totally out of the question in my tween years. Hell, I couldn't afford one of those today.

Yeah, for ESCs you either ran Novak or Tekin (who, amazingly, survive to this day). Shame that Bob closed Novak's doors. So...who do you reckon was copying who back then? :)
1708341573394.png
1708341542002.png

1708341444186.png
1708341511269.png

I love Team Losi's vehicles from that era. To my recollection they were the first cars that really went in a new direction compared to their contemporaries and, considering what you got, they were affordable-ish and didn't require a boatload of aftermarket parts (the custom builds of the pros back then were insane to the point where virtually/literally nothing on the car was stock. Custom made transmissions and one-off suspension systems that would only be seen once on that one car. 4WD cars, at the time, were in a completely different price league with the world championships just saturated and dominated by Yokomo YZ-10s for years. My personal dream car was the Custom Works Dominator but that was totally out of the question in my tween years. Hell, I couldn't afford one of those today.

Yeah, for ESCs you either ran Novak or Tekin (who, amazingly, survive to this day). Shame that Bob closed Novak's doors. So...who do you reckon was copying who back then? :)
View attachment 349579View attachment 349578
View attachment 349576View attachment 349577

2nd on the CW Dominator…🤤. That thing is made of unobtanium though unfortunately.. I had both Novak, and Tekin in the late 80’s-but Tekin has changed hands since then (THANKFULLY), and is owned, and operated by the Campbells. No idea what became of Kevin Orton-but good riddance.. Dude was a crook, and had some really serious issues.. Jim seriously turned that company around, and I run their stuff to this day.

2nd on the CW Dominator…🤤. That thing is made of unobtanium though unfortunately.. I had both Novak, and Tekin in the late 80’s-but Tekin has changed hands since then (THANKFULLY), and is owned, and operated by the Campbells. No idea what became of Kevin Orton-but good riddance.. Dude was a crook, and had some really serious issues.. Jim seriously turned that company around, and I run their stuff to this day.
Yeah, I read a long forum thread somewhere where a guy painstakingly sourced together the parts to put together an (almost) all original CW Dominator with the exception of a few parts that he 3D printed either because he couldn't source an original part or because it was a known weak spot that he felt warranted going non-OEM with because, I believe, the intent was that the car was going to be driven and not languish away as a shelf queen (which I wholeheartedly approve of...I'm no fan of keeping cars like Ferrari 250 GTOs in vaults, they're meant to be seen by the public so at least some people will have recollections of what really beautiful cars look like in person). But I digress. Putting that Dominator together was a labor of love that took more than a year's time and was, erm...oh, what's that word...EXPENSIVE AF, that's/those are the word(s) I'm looking for.

I wasn't aware of the issues surrounding Tekin as a company back then. Glad to hear they're in good hands from what it sounds like. :)

Yeah, I read a long forum thread somewhere where a guy painstakingly sourced together the parts to put together an (almost) all original CW Dominator with the exception of a few parts that he 3D printed either because he couldn't source an original part or because it was a known weak spot that he felt warranted going non-OEM with because, I believe, the intent was that the car was going to be driven and not languish away as a shelf queen (which I wholeheartedly approve of...I'm no fan of keeping cars like Ferrari 250 GTOs in vaults, they're meant to be seen by the public so at least some people will have recollections of what really beautiful cars look like in person). But I digress. Putting that Dominator together was a labor of love that took more than a year's time and was, erm...oh, what's that word...EXPENSIVE AF, that's/those are the word(s) I'm looking for.

I wasn't aware of the issues surrounding Tekin as a company back then. Glad to hear they're in good hands from what it sounds like. :)

Yessir-I thought about a Dominator resurrection build a time or two, but I figured it’d go just about how you just described.. Then I thought maybe just grab up an old Dogfighter then; talking upwards of $1400 for a complete dumpsterfire…😳. This is why the ‘80’s Tamiya builds are more my (wallet’s) speed for shelf queen stuff lol.. Besides-I just can’t bring myself to spend a metric ton on that kind of stuff because I just look at it and see hardcoated pipe, modified Italian .21, 6 sets of 1/8 tires, new 1/8 esc, etc.. 😅🤷🏻‍♂️🤣

Yep-I’m super happy with my Tekin stuff since ol’ Bob closed up shop.. 🍺

Back