My Kyosho Re-Release Shelf Queen Collection

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yessir-I thought about a Dominator resurrection build a time or two, but I figured it’d go just about how you just described.. Then I thought maybe just grab up an old Dogfighter then; talking upwards of $1400 for a complete dumpsterfire…😳. This is why the ‘80’s Tamiya builds are more my (wallet’s) speed for shelf queen stuff lol.. Besides-I just can’t bring myself to spend a metric ton on that kind of stuff because I just look at it and see hardcoated pipe, modified Italian .21, 6 sets of 1/8 tires, new 1/8 esc, etc.. 😅🤷🏻‍♂️🤣

Yep-I’m super happy with my Tekin stuff since ol’ Bob closed up shop.. 🍺
Is/was the Dogfighter a POS? I came across it when l looked into the possibility of acquiring a Dominator in this day and age (a short excursion that was, lol...) and saw that Custom Works had made a couple of different cars over the years since then but I got a bit of sticker shock as well when I saw the price tag (and I think they were rollers like the OG Dominator, weren't they)? Thankfully everything was sold out so I never ran a serious risk of purchasing one of their later vehicles but, hand on heart....had they been available, I very well might have pulled the trigger just because of my nostalgia over the CW of old.

The irony being that, all in, over the last two years I'm somewhere between $5-6k deep on this Infraction GT conversion so I guess it's not really the money as such. The thing is though, if (when?) I wreck this car, I know that the parts to rebuild can be found just about anywhere in quantity so, aside from my pride, there's no risk of permanent damage. Totaling out a Dominator where finding OEM parts is akin to finding new snippets of the dead sea scrolls, that's an entirely different proposition. Driving it would be one thing. Driving it seriously, pushing the envelope...yikes.

Is/was the Dogfighter a POS? I came across it when l looked into the possibility of acquiring a Dominator in this day and age (a short excursion that was, lol...) and saw that Custom Works had made a couple of different cars over the years since then but I got a bit of sticker shock as well when I saw the price tag (and I think they were rollers like the OG Dominator, weren't they)? Thankfully everything was sold out so I never ran a serious risk of purchasing one of their later vehicles but, hand on heart....had they been available, I very well might have pulled the trigger just because of my nostalgia over the CW of old.

The irony being that, all in, over the last two years I'm somewhere between $5-6k deep on this Infraction GT conversion so I guess it's not really the money as such. The thing is though, if (when?) I wreck this car, I know that the parts to rebuild can be found just about anywhere in quantity so, aside from my pride, there's no risk of permanent damage. Totaling out a Dominator where finding OEM parts is akin to finding new snippets of the dead sea scrolls, that's an entirely different proposition. Driving it would be one thing. Driving it seriously, pushing the envelope...yikes.

Ha! No-they were just another iconic 4wd vehicle at my home track at the time of the Dominator. The CW was quite obviously the king of the dirt oval, and when the infield was opened up; that’s where the Yokomo Dogfighter took over. Schumacher had “The Cat”, and they were very fast-but NOTHING could mess with that weirdo Yokomo design lol.. I just figured if I couldn’t swing the ridiculous initial cost, and horse shoe up my ass that would be required to score “The King” to pacify my ‘80’s RC nostalgic thirst; then I could settle for the OFFroad superstar of the same time period.. Then when I saw the “going rate”, I said F that noise…🤣

IMG_2896.jpeg

Like you-I've got my current vehicles to beat on, and have ZERO reservations about wringing them out, and being able to find parts to keep them going after breakages, or routine maintenance..🤙🍺

Ha! No-they were just another iconic 4wd vehicle at my home track at the time of the Dominator. The CW was quite obviously the king of the dirt oval, and when the infield was opened up; that’s where the Yokomo Dogfighter took over. Schumacher had “The Cat”, and they were very fast-but NOTHING could mess with that weirdo Yokomo design lol.. I just figured if I couldn’t swing the ridiculous initial cost, and horse shoe up my ass that would be required to score “The King” to pacify my ‘80’s RC nostalgic thirst; then I could settle for the OFFroad superstar of the same time period.. Then when I saw the “going rate”, I said F that noise…🤣

View attachment 349695

Like you-I've got my current vehicles to beat on, and have ZERO reservations about wringing them out, and being able to find parts to keep them going after breakages, or routine maintenance..🤙🍺
Yeah, I wanted a Schumacher Cat too. But, as you said, Yokomo was the undisputed king of the heap. Year after year, they just kept on racking up the trophies at the IFMAR worlds. Some of the A-Main finals were 80-90% Yokomo with a lone Schumacher in the mix to break up the monotony, it was bonkers.

Yeah, I wanted a Schumacher Cat too. But, as you said, Yokomo was the undisputed king of the heap. Year after year, they just kept on racking up the trophies at the IFMAR worlds. Some of the A-Main finals were 80-90% Yokomo with a lone Schumacher in the mix to break up the monotony, it was bonkers.
Yessir! That’s exactly how I remember it as well.. Yokomo definitely had their poop figured out, and also had the best drivers to boot.. 😎🤙

Man this thread has me realizing I’m old AF.. 🤣

Yessir! That’s exactly how I remember it as well.. Yokomo definitely had their poop figured out, and also had the best drivers to boot.. 😎🤙

Welcome to the club! :LOL:

It's generally me feeling old when I'm discussing late 90's and early 2000's rc.. you guys are making me feel a little better 🤣😂
Love reading about the older stuff!

I still run Novaks on some of my oldies. Novak was king back in the day. Just ran my tc3 last night that runs the Novak GTX esc. That was a darn fine esc in its day. Hell it's still way better then any current brushed esc available today! Unlimited ftw! 😂

I absolutely love that collection. Eye candy for sure, and would look awesome displayed in an office or hobby room. I have an original Turbo Optima and a new Turbo Optima, which like yours, has never been driven. It's just a piece of art that I admire and enjoying having in my office at home.

The blue Optima is stunning as well.

I absolutely love that collection. Eye candy for sure, and would look awesome displayed in an office or hobby room. I have an original Turbo Optima and a new Turbo Optima, which like yours, has never been driven. It's just a piece of art that I admire and enjoying having in my office at home.

The blue Optima is stunning as well.
Thanks! I have plenty of rigs to run, I just really love staring at these, just like I did in the Tower Hobbies catalog back when I was a kid. They bring back memories, especially the Javelin. I wish I still had my original.

Awesome. We are on the same page. That blue Optima is what I see in my mind's eye of RC memories. There is a unique purity to that buggy's form, lines, and styling that is only matched by the iconic Tamiya Avante. Those two cars and RC Car Action Magazine will forever be a part of my childhood.

Man, we had it good then. BMX bikes in the front yard, pizza and VHS movies on a Friday night, and these RC cars. Excellent memories for a Tuesday morning.

s

Awesome. We are on the same page. That blue Optima is what I see in my mind's eye of RC memories. There is a unique purity to that buggy's form, lines, and styling that is only matched by the iconic Tamiya Avante. Those two cars and RC Car Action Magazine will forever be a part of my childhood.

Man, we had it good then. BMX bikes in the front yard, pizza and VHS movies on a Friday night, and these RC cars. Excellent memories for a Tuesday morning.

s
Growing up in the 80's was amazing. Best time to be a kid imo.

Oh yeah, duh, good call. I blame it on nostalgia brain 👀
I do have some other brands, but these are my favorites. I do plan to pick up a Lunchbox, as well as an Avante and a Clod. Those are iconic.

Back