Kraton My Observations of the New Kraton 6s EXB

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xjeepguy

Super-Secret Yarmaluthe
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Notorious
From what I’ve read around the internet, seen on videos, a lot of people were not very happy with the price of the new Kraton 6s EXB RTR ($700). After looking mine over closely most of yesterday evening, I decided to compare it to another of my trucks that costs exactly the same price.

Traxxas Sledge- $700

Arrma Kraton 6s EXB- $700

Sledge- aluminum shocks, plastic caps, plastic adjusters.

Kraton- aluminum shocks, caps, and adjusters

Sledge- sintered metal gears

Kraton- hardened steel gears

Sledge- 6065 aluminum chassis/ shock towers

Kraton- 7075 aluminum chassis/ shock towers

Sledge- plastic bulkheads

Kraton- aluminum bulkheads

Sledge- no sway bars

Kraton- sway bars

Sledge- plastic chassis braces

Kraton- 7075 aluminum chassis braces

Sledge- Traxxas electronics (nuff said)

Kraton- Spektrum electronics

Sledge- sledgehammer tires (terrible, first thing everyone replaces)

Kraton- copperhead II tires (not as good as Backflips, but really good nonetheless)

The list keeps going on and on. One could argue that both are overpriced, especially the Sledge, but you can’t build a truck on par with the EXB for $700, or even close. The K6 EXB is the pinnacle of a 6s bashing truggy, and honestly, I think the price is quite fair for what you get. I have zero plans for upgrades, (it feels weird) and will bash this truck hard, and see how she holds up, although I am pretty sure I know the answer to that.

In my humble opinion, there’s nothing currently on the market that comes even close to this truck in terms of strength and design. It looked great on the internet, but in person it’s an absolute gem. I don’t know how even Arrma is going to top this one. Just my .02.

The list keeps going on and on. One could argue that both are overpriced, especially the Sledge, but you can’t build a truck on par with the EXB for $700, or even close. The K6 EXB is the pinnacle of a 6s bashing truggy, and honestly, I think the price is quite fair for what you get. I have zero plans for upgrades, (it feels weird) and will bash this truck hard, and see how she holds up, although I am pretty sure I know the answer to that.

In my humble opinion, there’s nothing currently on the market that comes even close to this truck in terms of strength and design. It looked great on the internet, but in person it’s an absolute gem. I don’t know how even Arrma is going to top this one. Just my .02.
An XJeepguy build with no upgrades? :oops:

What are you going to do with all that time? :ROFLMAO:

Fun comparison to read, I am still blown away by the improvements Arrma made. I know there are a couple left on the list people would have liked to see, like the larger input bearing on the metal diff cases and revised hubs with larger inner bearings.

All things considered, I am still pleasantly surprised. And I like the red accents on the body!

Last edited:
Gotta give the body nod to the Sledge however, nice robust ass and tig ol' bitties.
True. And I do like the clipless body mounts.
I am by no means downing the Sledge, just comparing. I think as a mild to moderate basher, it’s fine. That $700 price tag however, is not.

With everything listed out like that it seems like the price is fair enough, but on top of that just join Tower super saver club. They just emailed out yet ANOTHER 20% off coupon good until the 31st this month, so you could buy a Kraton EXB for $540, that is more or less a steal.

With everything listed out like that it seems like the price is fair enough, but on top of that just join Tower super saver club. They just emailed out yet ANOTHER 20% off coupon good until the 31st this month, so you could buy a Kraton EXB for $540, that is more or less a steal.
Only if it’s allowed. I’ve tried to use those coupons for new rigs before, and it wouldn’t take it off, upon calling customer service, I learned that certain items aren’t eligible for discount per the manufacturer. I still try though.

The Sludge came out of the gates @$800, then had the drive pin issues.. THAT was highway robbery IMO. Seems they sorted out the pins falling out issues, and since lowered the price to $700. Better, but I'd still prefer a v5 blx for $550. Debatable for sure.
The new EXB at $700 is a bit steep for some, including me, who haven't found a need for the aluminum gearboxes. The rest of the upgrades are indeed nice, and yes, the aluminum gearboxes are pretty darned sexy even if not needed. Starting out, I'd still choose the blx over the exb myself. The parts that I've had issue with still remain on the exb, which are small balls bearings and sloppy at every hinge pin after a few bashes. TRX does better there I feel. Still waiting for some tires that don't suck from TRX... each company has had their share of shortcomings I suppose.

An XJeepguy build with no upgrades? :oops:

What are you going to do with all that time? :ROFLMAO:

Fun comparison to read, I am still blown away by the improvements Arrma made. I know there are a couple left on the list people would have liked to see, like the larger input bearing on the metal diff cases and revised hubs with larger inner bearings.

All things considered, I am still pleasantly surprised. And I like the red accents on the body!
I know right? It just sits there on the bench all smug like while I twiddle my thumbs. It hurts my soul lol. Even the servo is acceptable. 🥺
The Sludge came out of the gates @$800, then had the drive pin issues.. THAT was highway robbery IMO. Seems they sorted out the pins falling out issues, and since lowered the price to $700. Better, but I'd still prefer a v5 blx for $550. Debatable for sure.
The new EXB at $700 is a bit steep for some, including me, who haven't found a need for the aluminum gearboxes. The rest of the upgrades are indeed nice, and yes, the aluminum gearboxes are pretty darned sexy even if not needed. Starting out, I'd still choose the blx over the exb myself. The parts that I've had issue with still remain on the exb, which are small balls bearings and sloppy at every hinge pin after a few bashes. TRX does better there I feel. Still waiting for some tires that don't suck from TRX... each company has had their share of shortcomings I suppose.
Good points indeed. I am going to try something on my K6 Superleggera, to battle the suspension play. It’ll be a lot of work, but if it’s effective, it’ll be well worth it, and I’ll do it to all of my Arrma trucks, and make a thread on how to do it. It’s a bit of a compromise between the arm being flexible so it doesn’t break, but not being too soft so it wallers out the hingepin holes. Arrma leaned toward not breaking, obviously, but sloppy suspension does suck on a truck that has pretty much dominated the segment.

I’m not saying the truck is 100% perfect, but it’s definitely closer than any of the other imo.

Last edited:
I know right? It just sits there on the bench all smug like while I twiddle my thumbs. It hurts my soul lol. Even the servo is acceptable. 🥺

Good points indeed. I am going to try something on my K6 Superleggera, to battle the suspension play. It’ll be a lot of work, but if it’s effective, it’ll be well worth it, and I’ll do it to all of my Arrma trucks, and make a thread on how to do it. It’s a bit of a compromise between the arm being flexible so it doesn’t break, but not being too soft so it wallers out the hingepin holes. Arrma leaned toward not breaking, obviously, but sloppy suspension does suck on a truck that has pretty much dominated the segment.

I’m not saying the truck is 100% perfect, but it’s definitely closer than any of the other imo.
I really think both are great overall. I guess I made it sound otherwise which wasn't my intent.
TRX probably has some of the best plastics I've ever come acrossed. Arrma is very good too, I am nitpicking.✌

I really think both are great overall. I guess I made it sound otherwise which wasn't my intent.
TRX probably has some of the best plastics I've ever come acrossed. Arrma is very good too, I am nitpicking.✌
Yeah, I love my Sledge too, it’s nowhere near stock, but it’s a good overall truck. I just think the Kraton is a better bargain for the same price, that’s all. In order to make it as tough as a Kraton, I had to put one of Mitch Avery’s kids through college lol.

The clipless body mounting system is a huge plus for the Sledge.

You say most people replace the Sledgehammer tires immediately… isn’t that also what most people do with the Copperheads?

Hasn’t most all of Arrmas “7075” aluminum been proven to not be actual 7075?

I’ve never had a problem with stock Traxxas or stock Spektrum electronics, but aren’t a lot of people saying the new Kraton needs a stronger servo out of the box?

How is the actual build quality compared to Traxxas? Traxxas rigs are assembled in Taiwan compared to Arrma being assembled in China, which is another reason for the increased cost, but the fit and finish of Traxxas vehicles is typically much better. I’ve never bought an Arrma body that didn’t have a bad decal job.

I like and want the new Kraton as much as everyone else, but in your comparison you are definitely giving the Kraton the edge without acknowledging Arrma’s downfalls across the entire line up.

The Kraton is now on what it’s 6th or 7th revision? The Sledge is on its first and a relatively young model when compared.

Both of my 6s EXB Arrma's are a few years old now, lots of runtime, minimal maintenance I just replaced my first complete rear diff. That's pretty good, even for "just stock" power.. I did do some shimming when I converted to open diffs, but that's it. My bro's Sludge is having rear diff issues after very little use. I'd say it may have 20-25 packs through it. Now, that may not be bad, but definitely no where near the longevity that either of us have experienced with our Arrma's. Either blx or exb. I guess there is something to be said about hardened vs sintered gears..
I keep seeing folks with the M2C Jackhammr and wonder what they are using for diffs? Aftermarket? I will give the Sludge some credit for impact durability for sure. My bro has had some real doozies and stiil drive away..the body mounts are slick too..this time of the year, fumbling with body pins at 15f and 20-30mph winds really brings that to mind, LOL.

You say most people replace the Sledgehammer tires immediately… isn’t that also what most people do with the Copperheads?

I’ve never had a problem with stock Traxxas or stock Spektrum electronics, but aren’t a lot of people saying the new Kraton needs a stronger servo out of the box?

How is the actual build quality compared to Traxxas? Traxxas rigs are assembled in Taiwan compared to Arrma being assembled in China, which is another reason for the increased cost, but the fit and finish of Traxxas vehicles is typically much better. I’ve never bought an Arrma body that didn’t have a bad decal job.

I like and want the new Kraton as much as everyone else, but in your comparison you are definitely giving the Kraton the edge without acknowledging Arrma’s downfalls across the entire line up.

The Kraton is now on what it’s 6th or 7th revision? The Sledge is on its first and a relatively young model when compared.
That’s fair, the fit and finish on all of my Traxxas rigs is well above average. I think Arrma has actually used real 7075 in the new models. The new 8s rigs have held up much better than the V1’s did. And bent chassis hasn’t been nearly as widespread by YouTubers on the 6s as the old EXB was. I will definitely find out, as I plan to put this thing to the test. As for the copperheads, I actually like them. I typically replace them with backflips when they wear out, but they usually have a long life from my experience. I’d say the #1 pet peeve I’ve had with Arrma rigs is that they marinate the screws in loctite when they assemble them. To be honest though, the fit and finish on the EXB does look really good. Better than my other 4 Kratons to be honest.

The point of my post is mainly that this particular model is a better deal overall, dollar for dollar. As I’ve said, my Sledge is a great truck, but I feel that Traxxas really cheaped out on a lot of things that would have made it better at that price point. The upgrades you get in the EXB for the extra $150, are pretty impressive, while the sledge at that same price point, is more on par with a BLX performance and durability wise.

I agree, TRX wins in overall quality, and fit and finish. My Xmaxx has been phenomenal, 2 years of abuse, no diff issues, electronics either.. I hacked up the chassis to cram an S905 into it, I don't think I gained a thing over the 2085. Seriously! Alot of time making it fit too,LOL.
That’s fair, the fit and finish on all of my Traxxas rigs is well above average. I think Arrma has actually used real 7075 in the new models. The new 8s rigs have held up much better than the V1’s did. And bent chassis hasn’t been nearly as widespread by YouTubers on the 6s as the old EXB was. I will definitely find out, as I plan to put this thing to the test. As for the copperheads, I actually like them. I typically replace them with backflips when they wear out, but they usually have a long life from my experience. I’d say the #1 pet peeve I’ve had with Arrma rigs is that they marinate the screws in loctite when they assemble them. To be honest though, the fit and finish on the EXB does look really good. Better than my other 4 Kratons to be honest.

The point of my post is mainly that this particular model is a better deal overall, dollar for dollar. As I’ve said, my Sledge is a great truck, but I feel that Traxxas really cheaped out on a lot of things that would have made it better at that price point. The upgrades you get in the EXB for the extra $150, are pretty impressive, while the sledge at that same price point, is more on par with a BLX performance and durability wise.
+1🍻

I agree, TRX wins in overall quality, and fit and finish. My Xmaxx has been phenomenal, 2 years of abuse, no diff issues, electronics either.. I hacked up the chassis to cram an S905 into it, I don't think I gained a thing over the 2085. Seriously! Alot of time making it fit too,LOL.

+1🍻
Yeah, I’m totally an Xmaxx guy. Those things are tanks. My Xmaxx is in heavy rotation for runtime, and lately it’s been getting as much attention as the K8.

Hoping I get an increased benefit from the S905 once I feed 8.4v to it..otherwise a waste of time. Well, not completely, wifey gifted it to me for Xmas so I had to make use of.😉
Yeah, I’m totally an Xmaxx guy. Those things are tanks. My Xmaxx is in heavy rotation for runtime, and lately it’s been getting as much attention as the K8.
Yeah, I know the Arrma can outperform, but that Xmaxx..damn!🤘👊🍻

I'm going to try that Tower Hobbies SS club.I own the Sledge, its a beast. With that said my next machine will be an Arrma. Will see what kind of deal I can get. 👍 .
Looking for a Mojave, Fireteam, or a Notorious. 🤷‍♂️. Half the fun is picking what's right for me.:cool:

I'm going to try that Tower Hobbies SS club.I own the Sledge, its a beast. With that said my next machine will be an Arrma. Will see what kind of deal I can get. 👍 .
Looking for a Mojave, Fireteam, or a Notorious. 🤷‍♂️. Half the fun is picking what's right for me.:cool:
Even with all my criticism of the Sledge, I can't say I wouldn't like to have one. It's a solid performer, and sweet looking rig to boot.

Hoping I get an increased benefit from the S905 once I feed 8.4v to it..otherwise a waste of time. Well, not completely, wifey gifted it to me for Xmas so I had to make use of.😉

Yeah, I know the Arrma can outperform, but that Xmaxx..damn!🤘👊🍻
I actually love the awkward handling and waywardness of it. Just makes me smile every time.
Even with all my criticism of the Sledge, I can't say I wouldn't like to have one. It's a solid performer, and sweet looking rig to boot.
It’s a sweet machine, no doubt. It handles awesome (with different tires), and the looks are definitely a plus. Just be ready to change the tires. Those tires balloon more than any other truck in the class, and when they do, the truck handles like a wounded rhino. At lower speeds, they’re fine and grippy, but when she stretches her legs, be prepared lol.
I'll give it a week before @Xjeepguy blesses us with a build thread for his new K6 :ROFLMAO: That thing will NOT stay stock for long lol.
I’m gonna try my best 😂.

Back