Granite My V3 Granite BLX is here! I'm back where I started with Arrma šŸ˜

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I installed the M2C 17mm hexes, GPM driveshafts and the ESC from my Felony since the stock one was hitting thermal with the 16t pinion. I had a bad landing on the roof and it looks like that broke the rear bulkhead where the body sits. Has anyone broken one of these. I never broke that on my V2 Granite BLX šŸ¤”
20210812_095405.jpg
20210812_095416.jpg
20210812_095349.jpg
20210812_095331.jpg
20210812_095326.jpg

Yeah, I broke one on my Granite V3. Never broke one on my V1.

That's weird. Maybe bad luck or something šŸ¤”

Arrma quality control has been very inconsistent lately. I've had some plastic pieces be indestructible, and some that broke on the first crash. Pretty much during the pandemic is when I've noticed problems. That's my opinion anyway.

My slipper clutch end fell apart again. This is the second time this happens. I really dislike slippers. I'm going to try this out. I know that putting bearings around diff drive cups helps them not split, so this is a similar process :

I changed my tires from 3.8 to 2.8 since I think that the 3.8 are too heavy an big for my Granite BLX. They would have probably destroyed the diffs with time
I also did the slipper mod shown on the video
20210919_190255.jpg
20210919_191248.jpg
20210919_185015.jpg
20210919_185032.jpg
20210919_185039.jpg

Lots of upgrades have gone into this thing. M2C motor mount, 17mm hubs from M2C, gpm driveshafts, HR pivot balls, bellcrank, rear diff housing, rear ring gear and pinion (all aluminum from HR), gpm diff yoke, 2.8 proline trenchers, ESC from my Felony, rear rpm arms, Arrma 4s slipper clutch, Mojave shocks The motor fell apart, so I'm replacing it with the Felony motor (I'm about to do that). If I had to do it again, I wouldn't šŸ¤¦šŸ¤·.

20211008_185932.jpg
20211008_184213.jpg
20211008_185242.jpg
20211008_184133.jpg
20211008_184128.jpg
20211008_184121.jpg

Now there's a solid looking diff!!!
Unfortunately it was a lot of money. Hopefully I can run this thing now without blowing the ring gear and output drive. I hear these parts hold up šŸ‘

Just getting caught up on this thread. Lots of fun to be had there. :)

But I'd vote (and I bet you would agree) most of your driveline issues are just too much power. Adding weight to the driveline does not really help, because now you need more power, so the next weakest part fails...

All metal driveline, 17mm hexes, 4074 motor, you need to build you a Siren. Probably would cost half what you have in that Granite, even if you used EXB parts where you could. Heck, start with the new TLRT Typhon, chop the chassis, drop in some EXB diffs and you would have a Tiny Tank. :cool:
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/jerry-rigged-answers-the-sirens-call.10842/

But I'd vote (and I bet you would agree) most of your driveline issues are just too much power. Adding weight to the driveline does not really help, because now you need more power, so the next weakest part fails...

All metal driveline, 17mm hexes, 4074 motor, you need to build you a Siren. Probably would cost half what you have in that Granite, even if you used EXB parts where you could. Heck, start with the new TLRT Typhon, chop the chassis, drop in some EXB diffs and you would have a Tiny Tank. :cool:
What's crazy is that my 30lbs 8s Arrmas are more reliable, durable and fun than this thing will ever be.

And now my chassis cracked in half. My steering servo died too during my last outing. And I only jumped it like 3 times šŸ˜­šŸ˜±

20211218_151822.jpg

And now my chassis cracked in half. My steering servo died too during my last outing. And I only jumped it like 3 times šŸ˜­šŸ˜±

View attachment 187103
one of the key reasons that the Arrma 3S line is durable is that it is light. With all of the upgrades you have done you have added a lot of extra weight, so you will continue to break things. Snapping your chassis is not a surprise. The good news is that 3s chassis are cheap. JennysRC.

I learned with my sonā€™s ECX Amp MT we started with a few years ago, only upgrade when something breaks, usually more than once, and always aim for reducing weight when upgrading. You are better off with stock power And reduced weight than you are going with bigger power at the cost of much more weight.

one of the key reasons that the Arrma 3S line is durable is that it is light. With all of the upgrades you have done you have added a lot of extra weight, so you will continue to break things. Snapping your chassis is not a surprise. The good news is that 3s chassis are cheap. JennysRC.

I learned with my sonā€™s ECX Amp MT we started with a few years ago, only upgrade when something breaks, usually more than once, and always aim for reducing weight when upgrading. You are better off with stock power And reduced weight than you are going with bigger power at the cost of much more weight.
I must confess that before this happened I did a few big jumps and landed on concrete a few times even before this a few months ago. Also when the Granite was pretty new, my son got in front of me with it while I was going full speed towards the ramp with my heavy Xmaxx and it was a direct hit tbone style. I did break off a part of the chassis on the side, again before all upgrades. So I bet that didn't help šŸ¤£

I must confess that before this happened I did a few big jumps and landed on concrete a few times even before this a few months ago. Also when the Granite was pretty new, my son got in front of me with it while I was going full speed towards the ramp with my heavy Xmaxx and it was a direct hit tbone style. I did break off a part of the chassis on the side, again before all upgrades. So I bet that didn't help šŸ¤£
Plus, the cold weather makes plastic brittle.

I wager that 80% of the ā€œI only tapped the curb And it explodedā€ posts are just this situation. Bigger hits crack or weaken parts but the truck keeps going, then some time later a ā€œsmall hitā€ is the straw that broke the camelā€™s back.

I wager that 80% of the ā€œI only tapped the curb And it explodedā€ posts are just this situation. Bigger hits crack or weaken parts but the truck keeps going, then some time later a ā€œsmall hitā€ is the straw that broke the camelā€™s back.
I ordered another 3s Arrma esc and 3s Arrma motor. And I might take off the aluminum 17mm hubs and go back to the small stock tires to reduce weight. Maybe. I'll probably just end up keeping the M2C motor mount and the Mojave shocks. Also I'll probably keep the aluminum rear diff stuff and the gpm driveshafts. Even with a 18t pinion, my Granite feels slower with the Infraction electronics than when it was running with the stock ESC and motor with the 15t pinion. I'm heading that way.

Last edited:
Even with a 18t pinion, my Granite feels slower with the Infraction electronics than when it was running with the stock ESC and motor with the 15t pinion. I'm heading that way.
This was my feeling too when I moved from a BLX185 on 4s to a 3660 on 3s. The truck For Sure had more power with the BLX185 but the smaller motor made the truck "feel" faster, and it was more fun to drive. With all power systems, the top speed is limited by the 2.8MT tires, and acceleration is limited by wheelies, so the bigger motor with more power does not help there. But, I think the extra weight does a number on handling, making the truck feel slow...

I recently dropped a Castle Copperhead combo in my Granite. The motor is the new 1412 3200kv, it is basically the same size as the stock motor, power should be similar. But, the truck will do standing / rolling backflips. :cool: I think this is more the ESC than the motor, though. My old china 3660 3800kv would backflip with a Castle MX, but not with several other ESC's I tried to run.

This was my feeling too when I moved from a BLX185 on 4s to a 3660 on 3s. The truck For Sure had more power with the BLX185 but the smaller motor made the truck "feel" faster, and it was more fun to drive. With all power systems, the top speed is limited by the 2.8MT tires, and acceleration is limited by wheelies, so the bigger motor with more power does not help there. But, I think the extra weight does a number on handling, making the truck feel slow...

I recently dropped a Castle Copperhead combo in my Granite. The motor is the new 1412 3200kv, it is basically the same size as the stock motor, power should be similar. But, the truck will do standing / rolling backflips. :cool: I think this is more the ESC than the motor, though. My old china 3660 3800kv would backflip with a Castle MX, but not with several other ESC's I tried to run.
I might keep the ESC and just use the motor. Not sure yet. I just want to bring weight down. Thanks for the input.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back