Outcast Need help identifying noise from Outcast

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeighDay

I came...I saw...I broke it
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Outcast 6s
  3. Outcast 8s
  4. Talion EXB

Still very much an RC noob and just wanted to see if this sounds normal.

New Outcast with older 2050kv and spektrum 150a pulled from Talion.

Sound is present when the RC decelerates with no throttle input.

Checked the mesh and diffs and they seem good.

Last edited:
Man I don't know what that sound is but my outcast also made a sound out of the box. It was some type of clicking and it seemed like it was the front diff but nothing was wrong with the front diff. I said yolo and drove it anyway and eventually it went away. :ROFLMAO:

Man I don't know what that sound is but my outcast also made a sound out of the box. It was some type of clicking and it seemed like it was the front diff but nothing was wrong with the front diff. I said yolo and drove it anyway and eventually it went away. :ROFLMAO:
Appreciate your response. Thinking it’s motor bearings. Ordered some new ones and going to replace.

Still very much an RC noob and just wanted to see if this sounds normal.

New Outcast with older 2050kv and spektrum 150a pulled from Talion.

Sound is present when the RC decelerates with no throttle input.

Checked the mesh and diffs and they seem good.
I also said the same, in the video I hear it on deceleration.
Mesh is good like you said.(y) The obvious first check.
Could be worn Main/Input gear(s) F or R. Look into that.
I also notice chatter/whine on deceleration when they are worn or not shimmed correctly. Usually the rear is where "wear" is more a concern.
Even a bad BB(s) galling out, starting to fail could cause this. Look them all over well enough. While bashing check temps at the input Cups/BB's. A sign they are failing. Suckers get super hot. Can even melt the Bulkhead. Been there. The Input Gear BB's take alot of load/punishment. Most times at the rear.
I usually change out Both inner and outer Input Gear BB's, when I service the Diff. Preventing potential future $carnage$ to the Bulkhead and all.
Good luck. Let us know what you see.
:cool:

Last edited:
While bashing check temps at the input Cups/BB's.
Wow, never thought of checking temps anywhere else like that (besides the usual). Great suggestion! (y)

I'm not having issues (that I am aware of :ROFLMAO: ), but this is a great method to use to determine issues and even catch em before they do damage! Thanks po-po! Appreciate it! :ROFLMAO:🍻😁✌️

After you melt a bulkhead at the Input shaft, trust me, a temp gun can reveal it before major damage is done. Temps shoot up to 200F+ from the friction of failed BB's in this area. The BB sleeves of the Bulkhead literally turned to a blob of molten plastic/metal.
Think I posted a pix of my melted Bulkhead somehwhere on AF before. Needed to replace everything. Bulkhead, diff and all. All the BB's turned Blue from the high temps,
Jennys RC to the rescue.:cool:

Yesterday pulled all the diffs and made sure the internal gears we all good as well as checked main input gears. All seemed good to me. Front and rear diff just need one shim each like I had previously. Also made sure the truck rolled really good while the motor was pulled and tested the motor out of the truck to check if I could hear anything abnormal.

Tested it out today and could hear the sound at a certain RPM when I was doing some bench testing. I did replace the stock pinion, with a tekno pinion but pretty sure it's the correct pitch. See attached photo

Uploading a video so you can hear the sound.

at this point I put the stock pinion back on and waiting for the loctite to dry to test again.

IMG_4731.JPG

IMG_4733.JPG

IMG_4734.JPG

IMG_4735.JPG

IMG_4752.jpg

Edit: I followed this video to measure the pitch. It’s definitely a MOD1 pinion.

Last edited:

Still having some sound issues. First part of video is my Talion with a HobbyStar for reference. Put a HobbyStar in the outcast and as you can tell it sounds different from the Talion, definitely louder. Triple checked the mesh. Only difference is a Robinson racing pinion vs a Tekno pinion.

Last part of the video is the outcast with the motor pulled away from the spur gear to see how it rolls.

Sounds normal to me.

First part sounds like a tighter mesh, second one sounds a little bit less tight. You should hear the 8S rigs :LOL: .

Was there a specific sound you were concerned about? I have noticed different brand pinions will sometimes shave the tooth edges a little different causing a different sound.

Hopefully someone else who uses many different brands of pinions can chime in.

What does it sound like when you run it?
Sounds normal to me.

First part sounds like a tighter mesh, second one sounds a little bit less tight. You should hear the 8S rigs :LOL: .

Was there a specific sound you were concerned about? I have noticed different brand pinions will sometimes shave the tooth edges a little different causing a different sound.

Hopefully someone else who uses many different brands of pinions can chime in.
Yeah I agree the mesh is ever so slightly tighter on the outcast.

Still pretty new to the RC game so wasn’t sure if this is just normal.

Yeah I agree the mesh is ever so slightly tighter on the outcast.

Still pretty new to the RC game so wasn’t sure if this is just normal.
The year sound a little bit louder than what I’m used to. I only have a Notorious and Kraton and they sound quite a bit of different between the two. I rebuilt the noto from the ground up and it has a Robinson racing pinion among other upgrades. The Kraton runs stock motor/gears and is a good bit quieter. Yours sounds more like my Noto.

The year sound a little bit louder than what I’m used to. I only have a Notorious and Kraton and they sound quite a bit of different between the two. I rebuilt the noto from the ground up and it has a Robinson racing pinion among other upgrades. The Kraton runs stock motor/gears and is a good bit quieter. Yours sounds more like my Noto.
thank you for the response. I was wondering if the difference of vehicles (Talion vs Outcast) would cause a different sound. Maybe something to do with the length of the center drive shafts? 💁‍♂️

thank you for the response. I was wondering if the difference of vehicles (Talion vs Outcast) would cause a different sound. Maybe something to do with the length of the center drive shafts? 💁‍♂️
No clue honestly. I know 3S cars inside and out. 6s cars I just got into this last six months or so. They are a bit harder to run in the spaces I have available so do not get them out as much. I just had my Kraton out today and it was making a noise similar to yours. Ended up being the motor mount loosened a bit , screwing up the mesh.
Hope you can get it all figured out.

A bit louder than my trucks. Did you get rid of the safe D pinion junk?
Yes I did. even with the stock motor it sounded louder than my Talion. you can really hear it when I let off the throttle and the truck decelerates. I’ve taken apart the diffs. Checked internal gear. Checked shimming again. Truck rolls super smooth. At this point I’m just going to send it and if something break it in
No clue honestly. I know 3S cars inside and out. 6s cars I just got into this last six months or so. They are a bit harder to run in the spaces I have available so do not get them out as much. I just had my Kraton out today and it was making a noise similar to yours. Ended up being the motor mount loosened a bit , screwing up the mesh.
Hope you can get it all figured out.
All good. I appreciate your input.

Last edited:
Took it out for a bash to see if it would cure itself. Sadly it did not but I had fun breaking things

image.jpg

My ET48.3 sounds like that.

After you melt a bulkhead at the Input shaft, trust me, a temp gun can reveal it before major damage is done. Temps shoot up to 200F+ from the friction of failed BB's in this area. The BB sleeves of the Bulkhead literally turned to a blob of molten plastic/metal.
Think I posted a pix of my melted Bulkhead somehwhere on AF before. Needed to replace everything. Bulkhead, diff and all. All the BB's turned Blue from the high temps,
Jennys RC to the rescue.:cool:
I think I remember seeing that.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back