Outcast Need help identifying noise from Outcast

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for that. Yeah at this standpoint I am just going to ignore it and have fun with the vehicle.

Appreciate everyone's help.
I don't think it's supposed to though, none of my other 8th scales make that sound.

I don't think it's supposed to though, none of my other 8th scales make that sound.
Yeah exactly why I created this post. I don't have a lot of experience with the 1/8 scale vehicles, and RC in general. My only comparison was my Talion and it definitely doesn’t sound like that.

Not sure what could be wrong at this standpoint. Pretty much a new Outcast. New motor as well. Tried two different center diffs. Checked the front and rear diffs as well and made sure it was shimmed. Definitely sounds like it’s coming from the center diff location. Center diff fits perfect in mounts. Spins freely by hand. Not sure what else to do at this standpoint.

Yeah exactly why I created this post. I don't have a lot of experience with the 1/8 scale vehicles, and RC in general. My only comparison was my Talion and it definitely doesn’t sound like that.

Not sure what could be wrong at this standpoint. Pretty much a new Outcast. New motor as well. Tried two different center diffs. Checked the front and rear diffs as well and made sure it was shimmed. Definitely sounds like it’s coming from the center diff location. Center diff fits perfect in mounts. Spins freely by hand. Not sure what else to do at this standpoint.
Same thing with my ET48.3. Has done it since I built it. Even with a different motor and a brand new center diff it still makes the noise.

Took it apart again and its still a loud one.

as a test I tried setting the mesh like this but the sound is still present. I can get it to sound quieter but then the mesh is to lose

Yes I did. even with the stock motor it sounded louder than my Talion. you can really hear it when I let off the throttle and the truck decelerates. I’ve taken apart the diffs. Checked internal gear. Checked shimming again. Truck rolls super smooth. At this point I’m just going to send it and if something break it in

All good. I appreciate your input.
At that point replace spur and pinion togueter. Spur might be shot. I learned the hard way the first ever gearmesh you make is the most crucial one. If its too far and you reinstall the pinion correctly like it should it will make an horrible lawnmower sound unless you make the same gearmesh as before

At that point replace spur and pinion togueter. Spur might be shot. I learned the hard way the first ever gearmesh you make is the most crucial one. If its too far and you reinstall the pinion correctly like it should it will make an horrible lawnmower sound unless you make the same gearmesh as before
Thank you. I think you hit the nail on the head with this one.

I did this originally and used a new different center diff (was used maybe once) and a brand new pinion. Still made the same sound.

I actually just got done about an hour ago putting the stock motor with a 12t tekno pinion back in. I adjusted the mesh to what I would think is pretty tight (the way it came from the factory). There is super minimal play in the gear mesh now. The sound is now gone and sounds like it should. albeit a little louder with the Tekno pinion. I guess my mesh was wrong to begin with or like you said had to bet set exactly how it was originally.

little video for how it looks / sounds

edit: I also swapped out the HR center diff mount for the stock one but not sure if that contributed to the noise as it was making the noise with stock plastic one.

Last edited:
Metal on metal gears are going to be loud. Also the metal chassis makes for a nice amplifier.

Just a thought here. I once had a pinion that just howled and it just sounded that way. Nothing wrong with it, just a small pinion and large spur and it's just the way it is.

Have you tried a different pinion/size?

Metal on metal gears are going to be loud. Also the metal chassis makes for a nice amplifier.

Just a thought here. I once had a pinion that just howled and it just sounded that way. Nothing wrong with it, just a small pinion and large spur and it's just the way it is.

Have you tried a different pinion/size?
Yes I did. I tried various manufactures from Arrma, Traxxas, tekno and Robison racing. Varying pinion sizes from 12-20.

Yes I did. I tried various manufactures from Arrma, Traxxas, tekno and Robison racing. Varying pinion sizes from 12-20.
It's a bit of work, but you can see if it changes without the front and/or rear driveshafts. This will isolate the gear mesh to the pinion spur only and let you know it's the center diff or related to something else.

Then again, it might just be a noisy mesh.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back