Kraton Need help Kraton 8s exb rtr, cant roll it forward or backward?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cazrack

Reaction score
Hello

So suddenly on a flat parking lot I slow down and then and I noticed it wont go forward again.
When I try to push the car back and for it wont roll forward or backward and it seem to be heavy resistence from motor/pinion/center diff?

Need some advice before I apply throttle pressure what can it be?

Thanks

So I removed the 3 screws so I can slide the motor to the side and the car rolls/moves nice back and forward on ground with all 3 diffs.
I will try to run to motor now free from the center diff.

Edit: on 50% speed set on controller, motor cant rotate the pinion and makes a bad noise guess its time to try the horizon hobby warranty.
This is annoying what is "customer number" on their contact form :-(

Gave up on contact form since it doesn't work, you get error messages after pressing submit.

So I have emailed them. I live Sweden so its HH EU in Germany.

Maybe this info useful for someone later on so ill update with results.

Last edited:
Yeah your motor probably over heated and sized up.

Winter here -4 celsius with snow on parkeing lot and AVC on max.

At the same parking lot using my old xmaxx 6s with 8s batteries max6 and higher than stock gearing and stock motor with fans on and it works fine :-/

Some questions if you like to help

Is this stock spektrum motor a small motor for 1100 kv?
What is considered a more reliable motor without losing much speed with stock esc?
If I don't want to do major changes but can swap out the ESC as well for a new combo what are my best options?
The old Ezrun SL-56113 800kv or 1100kv any good vs the stock spektrum rtr 1100kv motor?

Also have spare max6 at home.

Intresting old video
Old Ezrun SL-56113 1100kv is 56mm 113mm
Spektrum 1100kv is 56mm 86mm

Thanks for any suggestions, maybe the Ezrun SL-56113 1100kv will hold up better than stock motor, stock motor could be used for something else.
Ezrun SL-56113 1100kv does it just fit in without any more modifications?
After reading more I guess its better to go with the old hobbywing 800kv since you get more options with gearing and more temp control.

Last edited:
Below is why you should not buy a RTR RC from a online dealer unless price is very good.
(800KV on its way.)

Hello ************

we have received your message and I asked our RC-Car technicans.

Please senden the complete car kit with transmitter and a discription of the failure to our service center. Include please also a copy of the billing invoice.

Horizon Hobby GmbH
Hanskampring 9
22885 Barsbüttel
Germany

We apologize for the inconvenience!

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind Regards

Horizon Hobby Europe
Technischer Service

Below is why you should not buy a RTR RC from a online dealer unless price is very good.
(800KV on its way.)

Hello ************

Please senden the complete car kit with transmitter and a discription of the failure to our service center. Include please also a copy of the billing invoice.

Horizon Hobby GmbH
Hanskampring 9
22885 Barsbüttel
Germany

Horizon Hobby Europe
Technischer Service
Wow, seems like a lot of hassle. My experience was completely the opposite.

(800KV on its way.)

Hello ************

Horizon Hobby GmbH
Hanskampring 9
22885 Barsbüttel
Germany

Horizon Hobby Europe
Technischer Service
Boo! That stinks!! I would have thought they would at least have you bring it to a local authorized hobby shop, if anything. Ive heard HH abroad is a PIA to deal with. Sorry for your loss. I'd just buy a motor too.
BTW what happened with the stock motor? I know it locked up, but what was the running environment? Stock gearing? Tires? Curious.
I was rather surprised to see a 23t pinion on the v1 K8S I just bought new a couple weeks back. I mean this is the one with the 4985 1250kv Firma. Seems kind of aggressive for stock to me? Will definitely be keeping a close eye on temps.

Last edited:
I message them:

Send the entire rc car with transmitter?

No video with photos or esc/motor send only?

Now they reply:

Hello ******

Please send only the motor and esc of the kit. Include please a discription of what happened and a copy of the billing invoice.

Our address is:
Horizon Hobby GmbH
Hanskampring 9
22885 Barsbüttel
Germany

Horizon Hobby Europe
Technischer Service

Not decided yet, maybe i ship motor and esc back. Use my max6 and 800kv in it.

Better reply than the first one 👍🏻

I message them:

Send the entire rc car with transmitter?

No video with photos or esc/motor send only?

Now they reply:

Hello ******

Please send only the motor and esc of the kit. Include please a discription of what happened and a copy of the billing invoice.

Our address is:
Horizon Hobby GmbH
Hanskampring 9
22885 Barsbüttel
Germany

Horizon Hobby Europe
Technischer Service

Not decided yet, maybe i ship motor and esc back. Use my max6 and 800kv in it.

Better reply than the first one 👍🏻
Yeah, shipping the complete unit would be costly indeed, and nonsense. I'd mail the esc/motor, buy what you want and install. Then, when/if they send you warranty parts, keep for backup or sell. Good luck.

Did you take apart the motor to see what was wrong? Maybe it's a bad bearing? If so, those are easy enough to replace. Might save you some hassle and cost from shipping it back.

No I have not taken apart motor, not decided yet what to do. I don't think its a bearing since it sounds awful when used with rod not spinning.

800KV motor easy fit and with stock ESC works good on a quick test, currently using included speed gear only 30 tooth.
I need to test top speed more but guessing a bigger pinion would be good.

Winter now but during summer I will drive in grass (not a golf course) and I want to be certain no cooking of motor.
I don't know what happend to org motor.

If you have any input I will be grateful: How temperature sensitive is the old 800KV Hobbywing motor, what gearing during summer is a problem with or without fan when running long and hard on throttle with speed?

Thanks

800KV motor easy fit and with stock ESC works good on a quick test, currently using included speed gear only 30 tooth.
I need to test top speed more but guessing a bigger pinion would be good.

Winter now but during summer I will drive in grass (not a golf course) and I want to be certain no cooking of motor.
I don't know what happend to org motor.

If you have any input I will be grateful: How temperature sensitive is the old 800KV Hobbywing motor, what gearing during summer is a problem with or without fan when running long and hard on throttle with speed?

Thanks
800kv, is that the HW 56113? Coming from the the Firma 1100, I'm guessing at least 4 teeth up on the pinion. That 30t is combined with the 39t spur? I'll let others help you there. My v1 rtr K8S only came with the 47t spur, which is currently mated to a 26t pinion, Firma 1100 kv motor. Plenty of speed for me, just getting into winter though so, might have to go down a couple teeth in warmer weather. Are you sending the Firma in for warranty?

So waiting for reply after I emailed them again like this:

Hello again the stock ESC works good in the RC with a new Hobbwing 800kv motor which I intend to use in the RC.

So I only want to send in motor with its heatzink since its part of the motor.

The replacement motor could be used in some of my other smaller HH/Arrma RC cars.

———————-
So I am making it easy on them making them not have to consider the ESC since its fine.

So now I have 30/47 using stock spur and included speed pinion.

Question: I would like to gear up a little for more speed maybe 34/47? or is that low?
I want to play it safe with driveline and motor temps since I full throttle alot, will put on fan on motor so no more than 37/47?

EDIT: Watching some videos leaning towards 39 tooth.
Intresting

EDIT: 39 tooth pinion on its way

Last edited:
So today I sent/shipped only the motor back to Horizon Hobby EU Germany.
It will be intresting to see if they complain about no ESC and no Heatzink/fan which was not the problem, everything works fine with the Hobbywing 800kv gen 1 motor.

Ill update here once I get a response from them.

Edit: 2023-12-30
Kraton exb rtr got 39:39 800kv with stock ESC waiting for loctite to do its work.
Will be compared to Outcast EXB 39:39 800kv with Max5

My guess is that the new firma 8s v2 for kraton exb rtr is a Max6.

Edit: 2023-12-31
First run -8 celsius and it was a hard max throttle many times over and over epic snow street bash, good speed, good control, avc in the middle, super nice speed drifting/sliding on big corners in the snow.

Used 2 batteries 4s 11000 mah 100c gen ace bashing. Big and heavy only fit Kraton I think, highly recommended,
Motor had no fan and got between 100-175 farenheit depening on where you measure, will get a fan for it.

Not as fast or wild punch take of as the Outcast EXB but it got a Max5, Outcast gyro is not working or disabled (don't know dumbo RC on it) so a little bit harder to control on the snow so I limited speed to 80% on transmitter.

Punch at stock on both.
Sort of worried about the backflips tires on the Outcast when summer comes if they will hold up on 100% speed or just get blasted from the rims.

As snow basher AVC is nice since you can adjust it from no assistance to the assistance level you want, definitly get with a adjustable AVC, TSM or a gyro for snow street bash.

Edit: 2024-01-02
So got my fan for the Kraton 8s https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...55881802YIRTbE&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa4itemAdapt

the black 55/56/58 mm size

Works great, no idea if the fans can hold up to a big send but the fans works good as fans, stock fan is a joke.
Charging up batteries for Outcast so I can compare now in some minutes on big snowy parking lot with high speed running drifting/sliding.

Last edited:
Decided to go 100% on Outcast, -14 celsius outside, EC5 connectors melted :-(

4s 7000 mah 80c batteries.
Is this bad EC5 connectors or can it happen?

Guess I have change all the connectors now, what should I chose on the max5 ESC and batteries?

Thx

IMG_2893.jpeg

IMG_2891.jpeg

Decided to go 100% on Outcast, -14 celsius outside, EC5 connectors melted :-(

4s 7000 mah 80c batteries.
Is this bad EC5 connectors or can it happen?

Guess I have change all the connectors now, what should I chose on the max5 ESC and batteries?

Thx

View attachment 340538

View attachment 340539
The real problem is that the EC5 and Xt90 connectors aren't really compatible. Yes, they fit together and work, but it's not a proper fit. My brother and I have melted them too.. either is fine for stock power, but just don't work well together. For anything over stock, you should probably go bigger, QS8, XT150.. hope you had fun at least?!😎
Max5/800kv combo? If so, it's definitely time to upsize on connectors.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it.
A hour earlier I didnt melt the connectors on my Kraton with batteries 4s 11000 mah 100c gen ace but it have the new stock firma exb rtr ESC while Outcast have max5.

I didnt know it could happen on 4S batteries.
Maybe I just dial back the Outback to 80-90% during winter running and still go with the EC5. Ahh choices....

But it was sick the Outcast on 100% :D

Last edited:
Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it.
A hour earlier I didnt melt the connectors on my Kraton with batteries 4s 11000 mah 100c gen ace but it have the new stock firma exb rtr ESC while Outcast have max5.

I didnt know it could happen on 4S batteries.
Maybe I just dial back the Outback to 80-90% during winter running and still go with the EC5. Ahh choices....

But it was sick the Outcast on 100% :D
Yeah, I think the Firma 160/1100 or Max6/1100 is really the limit on EC5's pr XT90.. i understand ur dilemma, but who really wants to dial back the power? Not me!! HaHa..I really think you should just bite the bullet and upgrade all your 8s rigs to either the QS8 or XT150. That'll ensure you're getting the most out of the trucks, whether stock or modified. Don't be surprised if you start puffing batteries though,LOL. Especially with a Max5/800kv, that can't be happy with EC5'S..that would be like running a marathon while breathing through a straw!!😬🤪🤣

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back