Kraton Need help Kraton 8s exb rtr, cant roll it forward or backward?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good feedback, yes maybe I should go with new connectors on the Outcast, I don't use the same batteries on the Kraton since the 4s 11000 mah 100c doesn't fit the smaller Outcast.

I guess both QS8 or XT150 will be sufficient, which one is simpler to solder and work/use?

Yeah, I think the Firma 160/1100 or Max6/1100 is really the limit on EC5's pr XT90.. i understand ur dilemma, but who really wants to dial back the power? Not me!! HaHa..I really think you should just bite the bullet and upgrade all your 8s rigs to either the QS8 or XT150. That'll ensure you're getting the most out of the trucks, whether stock or modified. Don't be surprised if you start puffing batteries though,LOL. Especially with a Max5/800kv, that can't be happy with EC5'S..that would be like running a marathon while breathing through a straw!!😬🤪🤣
I'm running max5 g2 with ec5 connectors on 12s with castle 2028 800kv motor, cnhl 6s 9500mah packs. No melting issues

I run QS8s on nearly all my rigs. Take a lot of heat to solder, but they work great. I also like the antispark part of them.

lots of people run the EC5 with Max5's without issue. The issue here is likely using the XT90 with an EC5. I seem to recall the XT90 having a slightly smaller pin.

Also, snow bashing while fun will cause you more maintenance headaches. That moisture might have been what killed your original motor (rusty bearings seized?). For sure though these RC's don't like water, everything rusts and the bearings die quickly..

I will give EC5 another go.

EC5 to EC5 connects more sturdy/strongly compared to ESC XT90 to battery EC5 which is pretty loose connected.
Since I have most things on EC5 I will change Outcast max5 esc to EC5 and replace the EC5 connectors on the 2 batteries.

Hopefully this only a problem when you extreme run it with XT90 and EC5 together since there no tight fit.
XT90 on battery charger is nice, easy add and remove the EC5 batteries.

I will give EC5 another go.

EC5 to EC5 connects more sturdy/strongly compared to ESC XT90 to battery EC5 which is pretty loose connected.
Since I have most things on EC5 I will change Outcast max5 esc to EC5 and replace the EC5 connectors on the 2 batteries.

Hopefully this only a problem when you extreme run it with XT90 and EC5 together since there no tight fit.
XT90 on battery charger is nice, easy add and remove the EC5 batteries.
The male side of the bullet can be opened or closed to tighten or loosen the connection between them. So any connectors that have bullets can be adjusted..too hard to unplug, squeeze the tabs of the male bullet to reduce tension of the fitment. Too loose and coming unplugged during use, open the tabs with a small flat blade screwdriver..
FWIW, XT90's and Ec5 are nearly the same amp rated. Quite sure XT90's are named that for their 90a continuous rating..searching the net will yield some different claims for sure but..
Have a gander at this thread, may need to be updated, not sure if QS connectors are listed.
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/...connector-types-choosing-and-soldering.10224/
I'm running max5 g2 with ec5 connectors on 12s with castle 2028 800kv motor, cnhl 6s 9500mah packs. No melting issues
I definitely believe they're working fine for you, at least for now. You probably aren't pulling anywhere near max amp (200) of the Max5, can't, the EC5's won't take it. I got away with running deans/t plugs for a few years on 6s. Then, one day I ran in a more open space which had me holding the throttle wide open for longer periods (WFO🤘) didn't take long to melt them deans connectors I tell ya!!😉
At 12s, you're not likely drawaing as many amps as the same setup would at 8s. I mean, if you run 12s with the same gearing that nets you say 60mph on 8s, you are likely hitting 80mph or more on12s. If you are pulling 200a through EC5'S those things would melt lickety split. LOL
By all means, if it's working, why not.🍻

Last edited:
lots of people run the EC5 with Max5's without issue. The issue here is likely using the XT90 with an EC5. I seem to recall the XT90 having a slightly smaller pin.

Also, snow bashing while fun will cause you more maintenance headaches. That moisture might have been what killed your original motor (rusty bearings seized?). For sure though these RC's don't like water, everything rusts and the bearings die quickly..
I looked it up, XT90 has 4.5mm connectors and EC5 is 5mm. They really shouldn't be used together. 👍

If you are looking for higher current connectors the QS8's are very popular around here.

Last edited:
I looked it up, XT90 has 4.5mm connectors and EC5 is 5mm. They really shouldn't be used together. 👍
Yep, I agree. Done it, not recommending it though. I still think if you're running or plan on running more than stock power, you really should upsize your connectors. It can only benefit you going forward. As to which is better or easier to work with, IDK. XT90 has been my greatest achievement thus far in my connection portfolio,LOL. Love them, soo easy to solder, make EC5 look like brain surgery,LOL. Kidding of course, but I soldered some EC5'S for my bro once, just once..enough of that nonsense!!🤣

Yep, I agree. Done it, not recommending it though. I still think if you're running or plan on running more than stock power, you really should upsize your connectors. It can only benefit you going forward. As to which is better or easier to work with, IDK. XT90 has been my greatest achievement thus far in my connection portfolio,LOL. Love them, soo easy to solder, make EC5 look like brain surgery,LOL. Kidding of course, but I soldered some EC5'S for my bro once, just once..enough of that nonsense!!🤣

EC5s are pretty easy using a little torch. That’s how I’ve done mine.

EC5s are pretty easy using a little torch. That’s how I’ve done mine.
Good tip, thanks. I know I'm going to be soldering up some stuff for my bro sooner than later. I ended up putting XT90'S on his O8S max6. He had put EC5's on it, which is what his batteries are, well IC5 actually but same difference. One of his EC5'S lost connectivity while we were bashing, I offered to try and fix, he said no, let's just bash something else. He left the O8S at my place, I tried salvaging the EC5'S but there was just too much solder to make it work. I threw some XT's on..works fine, but we know where this is headed.. to fusion, LOL. So, I'm just awaiting a phone call.."bro, I put the PowerHobby paddles on my Outcast and the connectors melted".😜🤣

When soldering the EC5: Blue plastic EC5 connector already on cable to slide forward after the solder what is the easiest way to get the plastic all the way forward not leaving the gold metal exposed?

Thanks

EDIT: I had some EC5 connectors that was included with my used outcast, the batteries are fixed. However the ESC connectors something was wrong with the design of the male bullet connectors since they are impossible to fit the blue case without destroying the male bullet connectors or case.

So waiting for new ones.

EDIT 20240109: I am failing with putting on the male bullets on the bigger EC5 casing = impossible, Seem to be able to put them on the smaller EC5 casing but all my batteries are smaller EC5 female casing.

So surrendering and ordering IC5 male for ESC's in hope of it being easier.
Never had a problem with ESC IC5 male bullets bigger casing and EC5 female bulets smaller casing.

Last edited:
Horizon Hobby EU 👍🏻

IMG_4112.jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back