Big Rock New Big Rock version in october?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.P

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hello! It's my first post here, but my son and I have been enjoying many enjoyable posts here for a while. Thank you all! My son is rigorously saving to get the Big Rock - his dream RC.
Now on to the question. The Big Rock is now not available here in Sweden, and from what I understand it may be because of an "illegal" diff gasket. So to calm my son down I went for a google. On the european Horizonhobby site there is a Big Rock version 3B up for preorder. Available in october it says. The specs seems to me like exactly the same as the V3. BUT there is a 50 euro price increase (over the V3's 359 eur pricetag). Is this a covid-price or am I missing some great upgrade? I can't see it on the US Horizon site.
The reason I'm asking is that my son's heart dropped when he saw this and went "I give up!".
Any of you oracles with some sweet info on the B- version?
Thank you!

Most likely a translation or typing error on the shop keepers end. The prices of everything are going to keep going up so that is to be expected.

There definitely is a B in the artiklenumber.
I also can't find any other difference.
Screenshot_20210929-200849_Chrome.jpg

Its the same to the granite and typhon.
Screenshot_20210929-201205_Chrome.jpg

I agree. Also the price difference probably just reflects the recent price increases by Horizon; not any new features. The 3s models went up $60 in the US a couple of months ago.

Oh great super fast responses. Thanks!
It feels logical for them to keep track of the european mod like that. And I totally agree that they have to keep up with increased material and component prices. I want the Arrma brand to keep on truckin! Lovely brand!
But some part of me still feel that there is a price limit for each rc-line. The 3s line, for me, reached that limit now. It was really attractive with its earlier prices though.
And from what I understand from reading forums and youtube the motormount and servo are not on par with the car and almost a certain additional cost. That make this car a bit too expensive, I think.
I will probably pitch in the additional 50 euros for my son to get the Big Rock when it arrives, just because that has been his saving goal fo a long time. And make our opinion about its value. But i will not get two of them as planned. That is too much. But I admit that I may be an over-anxious rc-noob:) Do you all feel that this is still a good value car considering all the " must dos"?

yes. Get one.
Honestly the motor mount is NOT a "day-one" must do. Its only crucial if you are doing Big jumps.
The A-arms are an upgrade when you break one and not before, plus theyre cheap
The shocks willl survive a reasonable pounding and again are only an upgrade if you break and cant re-fix them
The servo could last you a while IF you set the end points but could go at any point. In order to avoid "EARLY OWNERSHIP BLUES" explain that it will need upgrading and get one early so that whenever it fails you'll be ready. You can swap it in less than an hour and there are heaps of step by step videos out there so your son can do it with you and has invested his time in looking after the truck.

Forums are notorious for airing mostly negatives. I have a 3s senton almost two years old on the stock servo and just now starting to feel it needs replacement. Of the 6 different 3s cars I have had I have never broken an a arm. A few steering knuckles but no arms. In normal driving I have never bent a motor mount and replaced it just for the fun of upgrading when I broke my chassis in half doing huge jumps on concrete. The 3s cars were a huge value. The price point is still ok but not the amazing value it was previously. Preventative maintenance is a big deal IMO.

Forums are notorious for airing mostly negatives. I have a 3s senton almost two years old on the stock servo and just now starting to feel it needs replacement. Of the 6 different 3s cars I have had I have never broken an a arm. A few steering knuckles but no arms. In normal driving I have never bent a motor mount and replaced it just for the fun of upgrading when I broke my chassis in half doing huge jumps on concrete. The 3s cars were a huge value. The price point is still ok but not the amazing value it was previously. Preventative maintenance is a big deal IMO.
I'm on my 3rd Arrma vehicle and not one of the stock servos lasted a week. There are far more people who brick their servos than who don't. You could create a poll on here or on the Arrma Army Facebook page and I guarantee you the number of people who have bricked a stock servo will far exceed those who haven't.

Servos are cheap and are one of the first thing that could need replacing. But in saying that both my Senton and Typhon are still on the original servo after 50+ packs each, so if you set the end points they can last.

I personally think the motors are more likely to fail than the servos. Again cheap to replace but ALL my 3s rigs the motor has lasted no more than 20 packs. I run Surpass Hobby motors in all my Arrma 3s rigs and IMO they are far superior to the Spectrum rubbish.
Both servos and motors can be replaced easily under warranty if you're in the US. Dunno about Europe.

Servos are cheap and are one of the first thing that could need replacing. But in saying that both my Senton and Typhon are still on the original servo after 50+ packs each, so if you set the end points they can last.

I personally think the motors are more likely to fail than the servos. Again cheap to replace but ALL my 3s rigs the motor has lasted no more than 20 packs. I run Surpass Hobby motors in all my Arrma 3s rigs and IMO they are far superior to the Spectrum rubbish.
Both servos and motors can be replaced easily under warranty if you're in the US. Dunno about Europe.
It's a crap shoot if you ask me. I have rtr servos that are 6 years old that still work and I've had rtr servos crap the bed on the first pack.

Hello! It's my first post here, but my son and I have been enjoying many enjoyable posts here for a while. Thank you all! My son is rigorously saving to get the Big Rock - his dream RC.
Now on to the question. The Big Rock is now not available here in Sweden, and from what I understand it may be because of an "illegal" diff gasket. So to calm my son down I went for a google. On the european Horizonhobby site there is a Big Rock version 3B up for preorder. Available in october it says. The specs seems to me like exactly the same as the V3. BUT there is a 50 euro price increase (over the V3's 359 eur pricetag). Is this a covid-price or am I missing some great upgrade? I can't see it on the US Horizon site.
The reason I'm asking is that my son's heart dropped when he saw this and went "I give up!".
Any of you oracles with some sweet info on the B- version?
Thank you!
Personally I think it is a amazing truck. Me and my wife both got one. We are definitely not gentle with them. We have back flipped them 15 plus feet at the skate park and they take a beating. I would say so far the week link on these cars are the shocks. They like to pull out of the bottom on big jumps. You can glue them and keep going but we both ended up switching to the pro-line shocks and they are tons better. Other then that nothing has broke. There has been things that came apart or slipped out of place but all easy to fix. Buy one you won't be disappointed. If you do update the servo I switched mine to a savox sw-0231mg and the 25T servo saver. It works better then stock but just changed it because I had one not because the stock one broke.

Yes, this. You have to remember that you're on an RC forum mainly populated by hardcore hobbyists. The reality is that you can almost certainly run it perfectly happily stock out of the box and have an amazing time! As and when parts wear or break, you can then look into possible upgrades or changes.

Oh and yes I also agree that the B versions are almost certainly the tweaked 'legal' releases, and the price increase is probably nothing more than following the trend we're seeing with not just Horizon but across lots of hobbies (I also collect Transformers and action figures and those prices have jumped by similar percentages).

The Big Rock is an excellent choice (I ran mine stock for ages with zero problems) and one of my favourite 3S trucks. He'll adore it (y)

We pay for their own mistakes😐. Could be worse could be mine🤣. If the prices go up again because of that im not going to buy one in the future. Maybe the economy is in the brim of collapse but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back