Non vented wheels/tires....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_Napster

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 6s
I have read the pros and cons all day for venting and non venting tires. I have a Typhon 6s, and occasionally run Proline MX28 when jumping. Has anyone done a video showing bounce with vented vs non-ventes tires? I only run at a BMX track that is full of loose sand/dirt. My stock Katars blew up after running them through snow, and wet tall grass.

I run sealed on every one of my off-road rigs.

Contrary to internet myth they do not “bounce” when completely sealed any different than vented tires.

The best way to keep debris and water out of the inside of your tires is to never allow it entry 😉

Venting on the outside is only useful for water to escape, blocking the inside prevents dirt (and water) from entering. Neither has anything to do with ballooning.
I do run in wet conditions, at times, and if a tire comes unglued water will find it's way in. That's the only reason I vent them nowadays. Historically I had a different opinion on this as well. Lot's of internet noise out there telling you otherwise but nothing to it.

I would always recommend venting if you do have wet conditions. You could simpy not do that or keep a close eye on your tires staying glued. I can guarantee you that dirt is utterly unimpressed by any venting, once it's in the tire it won't come out. Due to centrifugal force I never had any noticeable amount of dirt entering through the external holes.

Last edited:
Venting on the outside is only useful for water to escape, blocking the inside prevents dirt (and water) from entering. Neither has anything to do with ballooning.
I do run in wet conditions, at times, and if a tire comes unglued water will find it's way in. That's the only reason I vent them nowadays. Historically I had a different opinion on this as well. Lot's of internet noise out there telling you otherwise but nothing to it.

I would always recommend venting if you do have wet conditions. You could simpy not do that or keep a close eye on your tires staying glued. I can guarantee you that dirt is utterly unimpressed by any venting, once it's in the tire it won't come out. Due to centrifugal force I never had any noticeable amount of dirt entering through the external holes.

simply just noise.
It has something do to with ballooning. It lets the air out and only balloons in the middle instead of the whole tire. You can look up videos on youtube.

It has something do to with ballooning. It lets the air out and only balloons in the middle instead of the whole tire. You can look up videos on youtube.
@bicketybam made a video showing the ballooning difference a while back:

I vent all of mine at the tire and don't care about the wheel hole since I rarely run in dirt/sand. I run on concrete sometimes and grass almost always. But I do run in wet grass and snow. Unless your very very diligent about gluing before every bash and check them during the bash and you run in wet conditions, you will likely end up with water in them. I'm not that diligent... so I wrap them externally with kevlar and vent the tires. I've run the same sets of tires for more than 2 years without issues. On my 2S/3S/4S trucks, I don't wrap them with kevlar, but I do vent them the same. On my 6S, I wrap and vent.

I vent all of mine at the tire and don't care about the wheel hole since I rarely run in dirt/sand. I run on concrete sometimes and grass almost always. But I do run in wet grass and snow. Unless your very very diligent about gluing before every bash and check them during the bash and you run in wet conditions, you will likely end up with water in them. I'm not that diligent... so I wrap them externally with kevlar and vent the tires. I've run the same sets of tires for more than 2 years without issues. On my 2S/3S/4S trucks, I don't wrap them with kevlar, but I do vent them the same. On my 6S, I wrap and vent.
I actually watched this video a few days ago. I am not worried about the ballooning with completely sealed tires. I am more worried about blow tires off the rims when I launch it 20-30ft in the air.

I actually watched this video a few days ago. I am not worried about the ballooning with completely sealed tires. I am more worried about blow tires off the rims when I launch it 20-30ft in the air.
That's why I wrap mine. I don't think many do wrap theirs, but you have to maintain the tires really well and make sure they are will glued before ever bash. If you notice a spot coming unglued, you have to stop driving or you will get a blow out.

Wrapping them lets me be a lot less attentive.

Once you have to throw away big tires with perfect tread because sand came through the inside holes and the wheels can't be balanced with hot glue anymore you will always vent them and close the holes in the rim. I had to throw away 2 X-Maxx tires because of that. One tire had 60 grams of sand in it! The sand kept moving and there was no way to balance the tires with hot glue as counter weight on the inside of the rim.

Once you have to throw away big tires with perfect tread because sand came through the inside holes and the wheels can't be balanced with hot glue anymore you will always vent them and close the holes in the rim. I had to throw away 2 X-Maxx tires because of that. One tire had 60 grams of sand in it! The sand kept moving and there was no way to balance the tires with hot glue as counter weight on the inside of the rim.
Would you vent belted wheels through the tire too?

Good question. Here some thoughts.

The question is where does the pressure go and where do you drive / jump? If you close the inside holes in the rim you end up with an air tight tire. The effect would be that all four tires have a different "air pressure" and you have no way of correcting it. On a real 1:1 racing car that would also be trouble. The air would also work its way through some gap between the glue that holds the tire in place. And work the glue. Not good.

No need to vent the Infraction's hoons as I drive on pavement. Not much sand there to get through the inside holes in the rims. And by the time there is/would be, the tires are done anyway.

If you drive in dirt, wet or muddy you need a way to get the moisture out of the tires. Pretty impossible with only inside holes in the rim.

Try two wheels with vents, two without. Try what works. I would put in 6-8 holes into the belted tires but very small ones, 1-2mm. Depending on the car. Or I would not use belted tires if not necessary. If you don't drive in dirt with the belted tires don't close the inside holes, don't vent.

A reason for belted tires is to prevent ballooning. From the standpoint of physics ballooning is good when you do backflips. There is just more mass further away from the center of rotation and that makes flipping easier. Just like a cat or squirrel that falls down somewhere. Mark Rober explains it in his squirrel video towards the end. :) The squirrel stretches it's legs or pulls them back in order to stop the rotation or keep rotating. Same effect with tires. Balooning helps you flip so it's worth thinking about if you really need belted tires for your car.

Balooning is only a problem if the tires become loose on the rim (needs glue) or when the air can' work it's way in or out. Or if you modify and the tires just can't handle the forces. And it looks weird/funny. A lot of balooning in front can be removed with thicker center diff oil.

If you do big jumps with holes sealed on the rims without venting you are asking for the glued parts to become loose. The belt becomes damaged where you drill. Make sure you drill all holes in the similar place (middle of tire)to keep more of the belt intact.

Last edited:
...The question is where does the pressure go and where do you drive / jump? If you close the inside holes in the rim you end up with an air tight tire. The effect would be that all four tires have a different "air pressure" and you have no way of correcting it. On a real 1:1 racing car that would also be trouble. The air would also work its way through some gap between the glue that holds the tire in place. And work the glue. Not good.....
If you seal up the holes inside the rim how could you end up with four tires with different air pressure when they are all at 0psi?

Look at the tires when the car when standing on the floor. Front and rear are compressed differently. How long does the foam take to adust if it stood for a while. What if a tire leaks some air past some glue and takes a few seconds or minutes to adjust? Likely to happen. Or if one tire is totally sealed and another not. If the foam is partly compressed from standing and takes a few moments to adjust by air leaking past glue. Or if the tires were mounted to quickly (glue not dry) resulting in compressed foam at the bottom. Imbalance could be the result .Anyway those are the toughts I had when I had the same question. That first drill into a new tire just feels so wrong.

Sorry, coming from the Track, years past, call me old school, I always believe in venting the tire. Closing off the wheel vents.
These tires are not Pneumatic in their operation. Foam inserts are there to simulate that. Sealed off, atmospheric changes, temps etc. contribute to blow outs. The air trapped inside makes them unstable and inconsistent. If you are a basher only you may not see the significance?? IDK.
Tires work best and are designed to be vented whether at the wheel or the tire. They will balloon more evenly putting less stress at the tire's beads. It's your preference in the end. Tried many ways on all types of tires. Crawlers included.
To completely seal off to keep dirt and water out makes sense in one regard. But goes against you for several other reasons.
Just me. :cool:

That's the Granite I won on the Forum a while back! (y) :cool:

I’ve tested sealed vs vented extensively in the past and have to disagree.
I run all of my off-road tires completely sealed and as far as I know still hold the record for fastest pass on backflip tires, partly due to them being sealed. Venting them in any form introduces debris inside the tire creating a far greater negative impact than running them sealed. So far the only perceived negative impact to running sealed is the profile of the tire as it balloons which to me has no negative impact at all on performance or tire durability.

There is zero benefit to running vented whereas there are major benefits to running sealed.

^^^ I respect that.. 👍 There are many experienced guys that say the same. I do relate to what you say.
It is very easy to ruin the foams once they get wet and dirty. Then the wheels becomes crap fast. Goes against you too.

EDIT:
To avoid that I use only 2 tiny vent holes at the tread. Barely visibly open. But Dirt and water still gets in there at some point. The foams end up Rotting/ moldy,. (stink also:LOL:)
Tires become unbalanced. Then blow out anyway. I agree to some extent. 👍

I only wish Arrma and others would use $Closed Cell$ foam Inserts with MT tires!!!

Last edited:
I have a set of tires for wet bashing days, and a set for dry bashing. I am mostly at semi-packed sandy bmx track, hopefully the inside holes will be okay on the dry set. My wet set are completely sealed.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back