Senton Noob, mega to blx questions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Country Boy

Reaction score
Hi guys I'm new to the RC world and have recently bought a Senton mega V3. The cars great but the itch for more power has already taken hold! I picked up a blx motor/ esc off ebay and I understand that ideally I would need the metal motor casing, slipper clutch and spur and pinion. I will probably just run it on 2s to start with so can I just fit the motor and esc for now with no upgrades until something breaks or will the blx motor not physically fit the mega pinion etc? Cheers

I think the motor shaft on a blx 3660 motor is gonna be 5mm. So at a minimum you need a 48P pinion gear with a 5mm interior diameter.
I would upgrade your primary drive to the 3S slipper clutch and 57T 0.8 mod assembly (get the whole thing assembled it's so much easier) and get a 0.8 mod pinion to fit the motor and an adjustable motor mount. And get some loctite. You will need it.

Or just get a 48p 5mm pinion and go till things break.
Just make sure the pinion you get is one of the tooth options in your motor mount.

You need an adjustable motor mount for sure but bare minimum you need a new pinion that fits the motor and fits the mounting holes in your plastic motor mount.

I think the motor shaft on a blx 3660 motor is gonna be 5mm. So at a minimum you need a 48P pinion gear with a 5mm interior diameter.
I would upgrade your primary drive to the 3S slipper clutch and 57T 0.8 mod assembly (get the whole thing assembled it's so much easier) and get a 0.8 mod pinion to fit the motor and an adjustable motor mount. And get some loctite. You will need it.

Or just get a 48p 5mm pinion and go till things break.
Just make sure the pinion you get is one of the tooth options in your motor mount.

You need an adjustable motor mount for sure but bare minimum you need a new pinion that fits the motor and fits the mounting holes in your plastic motor mount.
The stock motor mount has an adjustable slot, so can I fit any size? I was going to stick with the standard 17t.

Can I run the nimh batteries with an ec3 to ec5 adaptor until I get some lipo's? Will I get a longer runtime due to the brushless motor?
A few things:

1) I don't think you need drivetrain upgrades with the v3 - you can just swap the brushed for brushless
2) agree with @Freelander though you may also need a pinion if the bore size of your current pinion is smaller than the driveshaft of your new motor. Cheap though!
3) you can do the above (many people very dislike this option!), but better is just to solder a new ec5 connector to your battery. Whether it will work, check your esc specs.

A few things:

1) I don't think you need drivetrain upgrades with the v3 - you can just swap the brushed for brushless
2) agree with @Freelander though you may also need a pinion if the bore size of your current pinion is smaller than the driveshaft of your new motor. Cheap though!
3) you can do the above (many people very dislike this option!), but better is just to solder a new ec5 connector to your battery. Whether it will work, check your esc specs.
I'm struggling to find a 5mm 48p pinion. Can anyone point me to one please?

I'm struggling to find a 5mm 48p pinion. Can anyone point me to one please?
Hmm - double check this. I'm not sure the v3 mega line had has a 48p pinion (v2 definitely had). I think the v3 line has a 57t/0.8mod/32p spur.
Hmm - double check this. I'm not sure the v3 mega line had has a 48p pinion (v2 definitely had). I think the v3 line has a 57t/0.8mod/32p spur.
This is wrong. Is still 48p.

Whoa.

Your question causes confusion.

These are two separate streams of thought.

Keep everything else stock and look for this elusive 48p pinion gear that will fit a bigger motor shaft

*or*

Get the 3s slipper clutch and 32p transmission and get a 32p pinion gear that fits the 5mm motor shaft

You follow?

Whoa.

Your question causes confusion.

These are two separate streams of thought.

Keep everything else stock and look for this elusive 48p pinion gear that will fit a bigger motor shaft

*or*

Get the 3s slipper clutch and 32p transmission and get a 32p pinion gear that fits the 5mm motor shaft

You follow?
Yeah sorry , I got ahead of myself! So if I get the blx slipper clutch assembly dies it fit straight up to the drive shaft in the mega?
Wrong bore size

Yeah the upgrade to the 3S transmission requires a 32p or 0.8 mod pinion but it's easier to find those that will fit a 5mm shaft for your new motor. At this point you're not only replacing the pinion but the slipper clutch assembly also.

Try to find one on jennysrc.com as a whole unit. Much easier than buying all the parts separate.

My bad, what size are you after? Is it 5mm/48p?
Yes thats it
Yeah the upgrade to the 3S transmission requires a 32p or 0.8 mod pinion but it's easier to find those that will fit a 5mm shaft for your new motor. At this point you're not only replacing the pinion but the slipper clutch assembly also.

Try to find one on jennysrc.com as a whole unit. Much easier than buying all the parts separate.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ARRMA-SE...-/324474201401?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292
Is this the motor mount I'm looking for?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back