Senton Noob, mega to blx questions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are pinion size reducers on Amazon. No experience with them myself....yet. Lol. But they convert the 5mm to the smaller size. I’m in the same boat you are right now.....deciding what upgrades I’m going to start with and then diving in to it!

There are pinion size reducers on Amazon. No experience with them myself....yet. Lol. But they convert the 5mm to the smaller size. I’m in the same boat you are right now.....deciding what upgrades I’m going to start with and then diving in to it!
I managed to get the motor/esc for cheap on e bay for £67. I suppose it goes to show we should of just bought the blx to start with but I always modify my own car so its just the same thing but in miniature! Lol. I think I will just get the motor mount/slipper clutch and correct pinion from Arrma. I'm going to try and get the parts from e bay .

Can I run the nimh batteries with an ec3 to ec5 adaptor until I get some lipo's? Will I get a longer runtime due to the brushless motor?
Would this pinion work. 48p 5mm seem rare?
https://www.modelsport.co.uk/-rw-48-dp-pinion-17-teeth-for-5mm-shaft/rc-car-products/425283
Nimpacks with brushless? (n) (n) And no, runtimes are meaningless here in the big equation.
Priority is ESC, Motor and Lipo. One shot deal. :)
I managed to get the motor/esc for cheap on e bay for £67. I suppose it goes to show we should of just bought the blx to start with but I always modify my own car so its just the same thing but in miniature! Lol. I think I will just get the motor mount/slipper clutch and correct pinion from Arrma. I'm going to try and get the parts from e bay .
Should just buy a 3s Blx. Have two rigs. Seems your budget is tight I understand, but a BLX rig is just cheaper when you add it all up. Do the math.
Happens all the time. Recommend a 3s blx. They buy a Mega anyway because it is cheaper, then they want to upgrade to 3s. Want speed now. Makes no sense. But you are not alone.

Nimpacks with brushless? (n) (n) And no, runtimes are meaningless here in the big equation.
Priority is ESC, Motor and Lipo. One shot deal. :)

Should just buy a 3s Blx. Have two rigs. Seems your budget is tight I understand, but a BLX rig is just cheaper when you add it all up. Do the math.
Happens all the time. Recommend a 3s blx. They buy a Mega anyway because it is cheaper, then they want to upgrade to 3s. Want speed now. Makes no sense. But you are not alone.
Its not that my budget is tight , its more of a case of how much I'm prepared to spend on a new rc. I reckon buying the bits 2nd hand won't be that much different in the end maybe £50 more and at least it means I understand the workings a bit better. I have a 500 bhp M4 that takes most of my money!

Only you can decide which hobby gets more of your wallet. I don't put used parts on my scale car. That's me. Depends how invested you are into RC.
I bought a second new rig for parts alone. it was cheaper than having to buy part after part.. Sometimes the math works out better.
Just thinking outside the box.
If your budget is not tight, Your wallet will say you are prepared to make the purchase. And move on. You will have spare parts, or even a second rig as a backup. Many guys do.

Agree with most of this, though would add one additional overlay. I started with a mega, then upgraded to brushless, its now a 4s beast! The journey, wrenching, mistakes, learning and more mistakes are as much a part of the hobby as driving for me. I've picked up loads of new skills and met some really awesome people.

Thinking only with the spreadsheet I would have been FAR better buying a 3s from the get go, but now I also have a bunch of other trucks I know how to fix and maintain when I stack them (which I do... regularly!). So all in all I was happy to run the upgrade path because I learnt more.

Ps m4 pics please - what have you done to it?!

20200920_184919.jpg

I'm struggling to find a 5mm 48p pinion. Can anyone point me to one please?

Agree with most of this, though would add one additional overlay. I started with a mega, then upgraded to brushless, its now a 4s beast! The journey, wrenching, mistakes, learning and more mistakes are as much a part of the hobby as driving for me. I've picked up loads of new skills and met some really awesome people.

Thinking only with the spreadsheet I would have been FAR better buying a 3s from the get go, but now I also have a bunch of other trucks I know how to fix and maintain when I stack them (which I do... regularly!). So all in all I was happy to run the upgrade path because I learnt more.

Ps m4 pics please - what have you done to it?!
My wife ask me what I wanted for my Birthday this year. I told her to get me the Senton Mega. The first thing ive done was trash that brsushed motor. I already had a Castle Mamba X Pro combo in another older car that i couldnt find parts for any longer. So i swapped the motor. It was 3s heaven!! The motor barely got warm. It was fun. It was a total blast. But, i needed more!!! Now, i have a 6s Arrma BLX motor. My Castle ESC was already good up to 6s. So i didnt have to change it. I also upgraded to the adjustible motor mount. And even tho everyone complains about the stock tires. Mine done fine actually. I just balled them. I just replaced them with some Duratrax Speedtreads. They are alot more stable. And makes my car drive in a waaay better line. Im also running 54/17t gears. The blx motor mount is 5mm. Last but not least. I got a better remote. I ordered the Radiolink RC4GS V2 6 channel remote from amazon for $80. It does as well as more expensive remotes in my opinion. And the range is crazy. I have some big bore shocks from ebay that will be here next week. Sorry, this was long. But i just wanted to share with you my Senton journey, lol. I plan on getting the Mojave EXB next and throwing an 8s motor in it.

My wife ask me what I wanted for my Birthday this year. I told her to get me the Senton Mega. The first thing ive done was trash that brsushed motor. I already had a Castle Mamba X Pro combo in another older car that i couldnt find parts for any longer. So i swapped the motor. It was 3s heaven!! The motor barely got warm. It was fun. It was a total blast. But, i needed more!!! Now, i have a 6s Arrma BLX motor. My Castle ESC was already good up to 6s. So i didnt have to change it. I also upgraded to the adjustible motor mount. And even tho everyone complains about the stock tires. Mine done fine actually. I just balled them. I just replaced them with some Duratrax Speedtreads. They are alot more stable. And makes my car drive in a waaay better line. Im also running 54/17t gears. The blx motor mount is 5mm. Last but not least. I got a better remote. I ordered the Radiolink RC4GS V2 6 channel remote from amazon for $80. It does as well as more expensive remotes in my opinion. And the range is crazy. I have some big bore shocks from ebay that will be here next week. Sorry, this was long. But i just wanted to share with you my Senton journey, lol. I plan on getting the Mojave EXB next and throwing an 8s motor in it.
I've got all the 3s blx bits to go in apart from the aluminium motor mount. Looking for ward to getting it going.

Helpful info on this thread for another noob like me, but one question...

I have a completely stock V3 BLX, would the 0.8 slipper set be an upgrade for the BLX or is that already part of the BLX OEM?

Assuning it is an upgrade, I assume I would needa new pinion also, right? I'm seeing a coupe of differnt pinions (including a "Mod 1.0"?), I think the stock is 13T and more teeth = faster/ less teeth=more torque, is that right?

So my question is would that 0.8 Mod slipper set plus the below 15T give me some more speed? More durability? Or no change?

https://www.rcplanet.com/arrma-blx-4x4-hd-57t-0-8mod-slipper-set-ara310949/
[rcplanet.com]

The 3s line all has the 0.8 gearing already and the upgraded clutch over the Mega, which runs 48p gears. Pinion base size (teeth wise) varies between the models

I've got all the 3s blx bits to go in apart from the aluminium motor mount. Looking for ward to getting it
From what I figured it would be cheaper and easier to just buy the 3s model and sell the mega one.
Yes, but wheres the fun in that? Lol.

The 3s line all has the 0.8 gearing already and the upgraded clutch over the Mega, which runs 48p gears. Pinion base size (teeth wise) varies between the models
Yes, it has all that you need for 3s. But i just wanted the mega so i can customize it. Like i said before. I already had a 3s motor/esc combo. Which to me, the castle is better than the arrma version. So All i had to do was get the better motor mount. And i was pretty much good.

Hi guys I'm new to the RC world and have recently bought a Senton mega V3. The cars great but the itch for more power has already taken hold! I picked up a blx motor/ esc off ebay and I understand that ideally I would need the metal motor casing, slipper clutch and spur and pinion. I will probably just run it on 2s to start with so can I just fit the motor and esc for now with no upgrades until something breaks or will the blx motor not physically fit the mega pinion etc? Cheers
You'll need the case. Upgrade to stainless bearings and go with a 20 tooth pinion/metal spur gear. Make sure you set some back lash between spur and pinion gears. Fitting them too tight can cause failure. If you have any further questions pm me.

I'm struggling to find a 5mm 48p pinion. Can anyone point me to one please?
Old post... But there is no such animal. 🤷‍♂️
48 Pitch gears are designed for smaller 1/8" shafts traditionally. .1 or .08 (32 Pitch being close enough to .08 mod) Modulus gears are designed for 5mm and 8mm motor shafts.
Unfortunately pinion adapters suck.
But if it is all you can work with, knock yourself out.
From what I figured it would be cheaper and easier to just buy the 3s model and sell the mega one.
^^^This.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back