Vorteks Noob question about diffs...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Infraction
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Vorteks
As far as the diffs are concerned. I'm an idiot. I know about every other part of these trucks besides the diff. So, I have some questions for those more mechanically inclined. I will number them so it's easier to see and respond.

1) What does the fluid inside the diff case do between light and heavy?
2) Is it a part worth upgrading on the stock motor for the 3s line?
3) Would it be possible to purchase a stock diff set from the 6s line and use it in the 3s line? I heard the 6s line uses steel gears as opposed to the composite/plastic in the 3s. Jenny's RC has a fully assembled diff set for the Typhon for a reasonable price.
4) If I were to upgrade, what benefits would I reap from it?

Any other information regarding diffs are more than welcome. I created this thread so I can educate myself as it is the last piece of the truck I need to learn before I know it 100%. I have been doing my best to help answer questions in Facebook groups regarding the Big Rock and Vorteks as I know them very well and you guys know I built a tank of a Big Rock already. Thanks in advance!

As far as the diffs are concerned. I'm an idiot. I know about every other part of these trucks besides the diff. So, I have some questions for those more mechanically inclined. I will number them so it's easier to see and respond.

3) Would it be possible to purchase a stock diff set from the 6s line and use it in the 3s line? I heard the 6s line uses steel gears as opposed to the composite/plastic in the 3s. Jenny's RC has a fully assembled diff set for the Typhon for a reasonable price.

Any other information regarding diffs are more than welcome. I created this thread so I can educate myself as it is the last piece of the truck I need to learn before I know it 100%. I have been doing my best to help answer questions in Facebook groups regarding the Big Rock and Vorteks as I know them very well and you guys know I built a tank of a Big Rock already. Thanks in advance!
You can't use 6s diffs on the 3s line. You can change the fluid, which will change how your RC handles. I run 4s steel spurs in my Granite and BR because they are upgraded to 4s electronics. What are you trying to accomplish?

Where are you in MD?

You can't use 6s diffs on the 3s line. You can change the fluid, which will change how your RC handles. I run 4s steel spurs in my Granite and BR because they are upgraded to 4s electronics. What are you trying to accomplish?

Where are you in MD?
I'm thinking about going to 4s to push the boundaries of this car a little more which is why I thought about upgrading them.

And I am in the Bel Air/Edgewood area. You from MD or close? 😎

I'm thinking about going to 4s to push the boundaries of this car a little more which is why I thought about upgrading them.

And I am in the Bel Air/Edgewood area. You from MD or close? 😎
They are insane on 4s!

Located near BWI.

753051E7-F546-4BE5-ACAC-CBCA057B59CE.jpeg

E4136E59-D2BB-4A6F-9FB2-00C6AB63DD9A.jpeg

Ah okay. We aren't too far from each other then. Awesome! Know of any cool places to bash? I mostly run in parking lots and a couple of local parks.
I do the same. I built a decent ramp with the kids when COVID started a year ago. I've recently been doing speed builds.

I just got into the hobby in May. I bought a Granite mega as an early birthday present to myself and got hooked. I ran it like 5 or 6 times before I bought my Big Rock which has been beefed up for bashing and let me tell you, it handles itself very very well.

I just got into the hobby in May. I bought a Granite mega as an early birthday present to myself and got hooked. I ran it like 5 or 6 times before I bought my Big Rock which has been beefed up for bashing and let me tell you, it handles itself very very well.
I know the feeling! I got back in the hobby Jan 2020 and haven't looked back. (10 Arrma's later) I spend a lot of time and money on the hobby!

I dunno too much about diffs, but I know how to change them! My Vorteks just did its rear diff 🙄 2nd one but considering it's prolly had over 60 packs through it not too bad, and most of the wear would have to be chalked up to my driving.

My Big rock has done a couple as well since I've had it I try to land without the throttle open but it's unavoidable sometimes. I'm certainly trying to break before landing but again that's not always possible especially if you're heading for a lawn far.

I've considered beefing them up with the metal input and crown gear but at stage I just keep a complete diff spare so it's an easy fix.

1) The differential allows the left and right wheels to spin at different speeds. The rear diff controls the rear wheels, the front diff, the front wheels. For example when you're making a tight turn, the inside wheel spins less than the outside wheel. Changing the weight of diff fluid has benefits and drawbacks, depending on what you want.

Lighter fluid allows the left and right wheels to adjust how fast they spin according to which wheel has the heavier load. The advantage is tighter turning since the inside and outside wheels can adjust spin easily. Heavier fluid will give more equal power to both wheels even when they have different loads. This can reduce wheelspin but can also result in wider turns.

So if you like spinning out your tires alot in turns, keep the fluid lighter. But if you're spinning out too much in turns increase the weight of diff fluid. Heavier fluid in front reduces spinning out when entering turns. Heavier fluid in the rear reduces spinning out coming out of turns.

2) The only reason to upgrade to the steel differentials and input gears is if you're stripping the plastic ones.
3) No you can't use the 6s diffs.
4) There is no performance difference. In fact one downside is that the metal differentials are heavier. As I said before, the only reason to get the metal diffs is for durability if you're stripping the plastic ones.

1) The differential allows the left and right wheels to spin at different speeds. The rear diff controls the rear wheels, the front diff, the front wheels. For example when you're making a tight turn, the inside wheel spins less than the outside wheel. Changing the weight of diff fluid has benefits and drawbacks, depending on what you want.

Lighter fluid allows the left and right wheels to adjust how fast they spin according to which wheel has the heavier load. The advantage is tighter turning since the inside and outside wheels can adjust spin easily. Heavier fluid will give more equal power to both wheels even when they have different loads. This can reduce wheelspin but can also result in wider turns.

So if you like spinning out your tires alot in turns, keep the fluid lighter. But if you're spinning out too much in turns increase the weight of diff fluid. Heavier fluid in front reduces spinning out when entering turns. Heavier fluid in the rear reduces spinning out coming out of turns.

2) The only reason to upgrade to the steel differentials and input gears is if you're stripping the plastic ones.
3) No you can't use the 6s diffs.
4) There is no performance difference. In fact one downside is that the metal differentials are heavier. As I said before, the only reason to get the metal diffs is for durability if you're stripping the plastic ones.
My vorteks which was bought christmas this year. Yesterday I pull throttle and I hear grinding sound and car barely moves. I believe it’s the rear differential. Are they metal? Arrma website says they are metal but I don’t believe it.
I never replaced the diff before. I assume I need the input gear and differential. This happened to my Typhon after about 4 months of riding. I ride it easy and do not abuse it

If you’re asking this question, I would learn A LOT more before you consider stepping up to 4s.

My vorteks which was bought christmas this year. Yesterday I pull throttle and I hear grinding sound and car barely moves. I believe it’s the rear differential. Are they metal? Arrma website says they are metal but I don’t believe it.
I never replaced the diff before. I assume I need the input gear and differential. This happened to my Typhon after about 4 months of riding. I ride it easy and do not abuse it

It may be the diff, but a grinding noise can be alot of things. The only way to find out is to open up the rig and do some maintenance. The internal gears of the diffs are metal, but the outer ring gear and input gears are plastic and will definitely wear down over time and need to be replaced.

Regular maintenance, cleaning and lubricating parts, and spotting issues before they get worse can help extend the life of parts. But running for 4 to 7 months before needing replacements is really not bad.

Yes, The interior gears are metal and the exterior ring and pinion are plastic as GRC mentioned. But it could also be the spur, which is plastic. That sounds like you’ve never pulled it apart and 4 to 7 months is an awful long time to not have done routine maintenance on an RC car. Honestly you should be doing routine maintenance every 7-10 packs (battery packs).

You need to pull the motor module and open it up and check the spur and pinion first. There are great YouTube videos that you can watch. I suggest searching for YouTube videos by razor RC on the 3S line. Next you will need to open up the rear differential housing. Again, razor RC has some good videos for this. If you have questions take videos, pictures and post them on here. To post videos you have to upload them to YouTube first and then paste the links.

Good luck!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back