Kraton On the fence

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xjeepguy

Super-Secret Yarmaluthe
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Notorious
I’m thinking about getting one of the new Kraton 8s V2’s. I used to have a V1 BLX, and it was a lot of fun, but seemed like it was made of glass. It was like I spent more time wrenching on it and replacing A-arms than running it (until I got RPMs). But it handled so good, I loved running it. Maybe it’s worth another try. What is y’all’s opinion on it? Should I snag a new K8 V2, or maybe a SBR V2?

I’d love to hear from someone with a K8 V2. I don’t know anyone that has one. I already have a Xmaxx, XRT, Machete and DBXLE, would it be worth it?

You seem to like the big stuff. Go with your gut. IDK. But maybe you answered your own question there, having one prior. I never owned a 30+ pound 8s before, and for the reasons you state above and by others who have owned them and sold them off. I always felt it was 10 pounds too heavy for the grade of parts used. Being under engineered in some areas and over enginneered in others. I don't see much at all changed with the V2.
They just refreshed it a Tad Bit to overcome the falling sales of them. To re-market it. I don't see the needed changes they should have made with the 8s line.
Since I never owned one and never will, take this with a grain of salt.
:cool:

These just came out so long term durability is yet to be determined, but from some initial reporting most are saying it seems more durable than the previous model. It's a big 30lb truck, some finesse is always going to be required when driving it.

You seem to like the big stuff. Go with your gut. IDK. But maybe you answered your own question there, having one prior. I never owned a 30+ pound 8s before, and for the reasons you state above and by others who have owned them and sold them off. I always felt it was 10 pounds too heavy for the grade of parts used. Being under engineered in some areas and over enginneered in others. I don't see much at all changed with the V2.
They just refreshed it a Tad Bit to overcome the falling sales of them. To re-market it. I don't see the needed changes they should have made with the 8s line.
Since I never owned one and never will, take this with a grain of salt.
:cool:
Yeah, I see what you’re saying. The new motor has me intrigued. The old one was pretty underpowered, so I installed an 800kv castle system in it. I think I just loved driving it, but hated having to discharge the batteries on another rig after breaking it lol.
These just came out so long term durability is yet to be determined, but from some initial reporting most are saying it seems more durable than the previous model. It's a big 30lb truck, some finesse is always going to be required when driving it.
Yeah, it’s like my DBXLE. I know that I can’t jump it into the stratosphere without lightening my wallet substantially. I think I may hold off. Thanks for the replies, guys.

It's funny reading this thread while I'm watching Aldo loyal video where he gives zero f's about bashing his k8s on 12s and it taking a beating 🤣.

I felt like my kraton wasn't bad but I definitely needed to upgrade my center braces because at this point my only breakages are the tear drops at the end of the braces that aren't m2c yet. I just ordered some thick cf braces so I'm excited 😊

Think I've broken 1 arm in over a year and a half on my k8s and i've never ever broken an arm on the outcast.

Last edited:
Yeah, I see what you’re saying. The new motor has me intrigued. The old one was pretty underpowered, so I installed an 800kv castle system in it. I think I just loved driving it, but hated having to discharge the batteries on another rig after breaking it lol.

Yeah, it’s like my DBXLE. I know that I can’t jump it into the stratosphere without lightening my wallet substantially. I think I may hold off. Thanks for the replies, guys.
RPM arms seem to be the most popular upgrade which definitely gives a substantial increase in durability. Personally I wouldn't worry about it breaking. You're gonna break stuff when you send it, so might as well go big :LOL:

RPM arms seem to be the most popular upgrade which definitely gives a substantial increase in durability. Personally I wouldn't worry about it breaking. You're gonna break stuff when you send it, so might as well go big :LOL:
rpm arms can lead to worse problems like bending dog bones :cry:

rpm arms can lead to worse problems like bending dog bones :cry:
I'm not sure how a bent dog bone is worse than a broken arm. One you can still play with, the other is game over. But to each their own.

I'd say go for it! I love mine. I think most of the people who had bad experiences were BLX owners not EXB. I don't think we need to get into who actually knows what their talking about from experience and those that just read 8s threads and scare people from buying them 😎💪🏼

I'm not sure how a bent dog bone is worse than a broken arm. One you can still play with, the other is game over. But to each their own.
even m2c recommends you don't use rpm arms if you're buying their dog bones. I'm also someone who doesn't break arms though so I'd gladly stick with stock arms and save my dog bones.

So you've had good experience with rpm 8s arms? I was steered clear of them when I got my 8s rigs. I was told they are too flexible. I've broken a few arms but was totally my fault.

So you've had good experience with rpm 8s arms? I was steered clear of them when I got my 8s rigs. I was told they are too flexible. I've broken a few arms but was totally my fault.
Full disclaimer, I'm parroting what others have told me. I use RPM on almost everything, even my 6s Kraton that everyone swears is the worst mistake I could have made. 60+ runs later of intentionally trying to break the arms or bend driveshafts and not a single bent or crooked part...

Full disclaimer, I'm parroting what others have told me. I use RPM on almost everything, even my 6s Kraton that everyone swears is the worst mistake I could have made. 60+ runs later of intentionally trying to break the arms or bend driveshafts and not a single bent or crooked part...
I quit using their arms. I have several 6 and 8s rigs. I think stock arms are better after breaking a bunch on my 6s rigs. But..obviously everyones driving style is different and cold weather plays into it as well. I had some red ones that lasted all of 2 runs.

I’m thinking about getting one of the new Kraton 8s V2’s. I used to have a V1 BLX, and it was a lot of fun, but seemed like it was made of glass. It was like I spent more time wrenching on it and replacing A-arms than running it (until I got RPMs). But it handled so good, I loved running it. Maybe it’s worth another try. What is y’all’s opinion on it? Should I snag a new K8 V2, or maybe a SBR V2?

I’d love to hear from someone with a K8 V2. I don’t know anyone that has one. I already have a Xmaxx, XRT, Machete and DBXLE, would it be worth it?
I own DBXLE 2, SBR 1, and Outcast 8S EXB.

I’d go SBR since you already have a 1/5 truggy. The SBR is such a fun, unique experience with its solid rear axle. And it’s tough as nails.
I quit using their arms. I have several 6 and 8s rigs. I think stock arms are better after breaking a bunch on my 6s rigs. But..obviously everyones driving style is different and cold weather plays into it as well. I had some red ones that lasted all of 2 runs.
Same. I prefer stock arms over RPM arms. Although I never tried the 8S RPM arms.

I had out drive shaft issues in the rear of my O8 exb due to rpms. Due to the gap where there would be droop limit , there is none...hence...in air you get full shock extension...which jacks up the outdrives on landing. I thought about rigging up some sort of limit strap out back to help but ultimately went back with stockers in the rear but kept the rpms out front due to their more flexible nature. Surviving an off kilter One front wheel first landing is much higher with rpms from what I've found.

We don't really get 'cold' weather here in Arizona, and when we do we typically don't play outside. It did snow here one time though :unsure:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back