Typhon One session by the saltwater and now this is happening...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

91rtstealth

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I finally got a chance to run my car with it's new belted badlands today at the same place I always go....and now this is happening....one of the rear wheels will barely turn....i'll post some pics and video below...it looks like a seal came out and now there's probably sand jammed up in the hub....what do you think? again, this is all pretty new to me....I'm pretty disappointed...all I did was rip around in the dirt and sand, and now this is happening...how do I fix this?

HERE'S A VIDEO OF THE ISSUE

IMG_9377.jpg

IMG_9378.jpg

I finally got a chance to run my car with it's new belted badlands today at the same place I always go....and now this is happening....one of the rear wheels will barely turn....i'll post some pics and video below...it looks like a seal came out and now there's probably sand jammed up in the hub....what do you think? again, this is all pretty new to me....I'm pretty disappointed...all I did was rip around in the dirt and sand, and now this is happening...how do I fix this?

View attachment 368286

View attachment 368287
Beach sand & salt water wreak havoc on bearings. Regular water will do a number, but salt water is even worse. I'd get some WD-40 silicone lube and try to clean/salvage what you can.

View attachment 368286

View attachment 368287

This is Serious!
Saltwater + Sand will Eat your bearings!!

Not to worry.. JennysRC to the rescue!!
You can get ALL Four hubs PLUS full set of New Bearings for $25
Cheaper than a trip to McDonald's..

https://jennysrc.com/products/arrma...blocks-ara8606v5?_pos=30&_sid=93a790ba4&_ss=r

Bash, Repair, Repeat (Just NOT at the Beach!!)
🍺👍

Lesson Learned..

This is Serious!
Saltwater + Sand will Eat your bearings!!

Not to worry.. JennysRC to the rescue!!
You can get ALL Four hubs PLUS full set of New Bearings for $25
Cheaper than a trip to McDonald's..

https://jennysrc.com/products/arrma...blocks-ara8606v5?_pos=30&_sid=93a790ba4&_ss=r

Bash, Repair, Repeat (Just NOT at the Beach!!)
🍺👍

Lesson Learned..
I was literally just looking at that exact link. haha.

so here's my problem..I live by the beach...I live in Florida...there's sand literally everywhere....is this something I'm going to have to do all of the time?

I've driven in this same spot a bunch of times without any issue..but I think I might have ripped through some wet sand and that's what did it...you can see that it's literally rusty everywhere in the span on 10 hours...haha...

when these get caked up with dirt/sand/whatever like that, what's the protocol for cleaning it? I use compressed air but that's not always enough....I tried to lightly use my sink to rinse the sand from the A arms, but it's hard to get in there without hitting everhting..

also..does anyone know what that little metal looking bent ring is? what is it and where did ti come from? It looks like it might have come out of that hub

so here's my problem..I live by the beach...I live in Florida...there's sand literally everywhere....is this something I'm going to have to do all of the time?

I've driven in this same spot a bunch of times without any issue..but I think I might have ripped through some wet sand and that's what did it...you can see that it's literally rusty everywhere in the span on 10 hours...haha...

when these get caked up with dirt/sand/whatever like that, what's the protocol for cleaning it? I use compressed air but that's not always enough....I tried to lightly use my sink to rinse the sand from the A arms, but it's hard to get in there without hitting everhting..

also..does anyone know what that little metal looking bent ring is? what is it and where did ti come from? It looks like it might have come out of that hub

Use a can of WD-40 : Dry Lube for bicycle chains and that'll lube& protect and won't attract dust/dirt

1716519792043.png

perfect....i'll order some now...

just as an experiment, I just WD40'd the poop out of that stubborn wheel and it's turning freely now...def sounds like there's plenty of sand in there..haha..but I'll just run it until the hubs are shot and then i'll get new ones from Jenny's RC. I just took it for a quick but aggressive 6s run and it was working just fine....

I did notice there's some squeaking when turning hard left or right from those little ball joint looking things on the front a arm assembly...(sorry don't know the name)....can I spray WD40 in there too to stop that little squeak?

Lastly, how do you guys clean these throughly after a really dirty bash?

perfect....i'll order some now...

just as an experiment, I just WD40'd the poop out of that stubborn wheel and it's turning freely now...def sounds like there's plenty of sand in there..haha..but I'll just run it until the hubs are shot and then i'll get new ones from Jenny's RC. I just took it for a quick but aggressive 6s run and it was working just fine....

I did notice there's some squeaking when turning hard left or right from those little ball joint looking things on the front a arm assembly...(sorry don't know the name)....can I spray WD40 in there too to stop that little squeak?

Lastly, how do you guys clean these throughly after a really dirty bash?
I like to hose it off, not too high pressure, then put it by a fan to dry it off. Sometimes I'll wd40 as well, which can help expell water.

do you cover up the motor/ecs/radio/anything electrical before doing so or is all of that stuff sealed enough to handle some water?

I can't believe how rusty my car got in the span of a few hours..it went from looking fairly new (I bought it new in March) to looking a few years old...haha....I was running by the sea and I maybe grazed a puddle, if that...when I got home I blew it out with air and then ran the front and rear tires and suspension under some faucet water to get the rest of the sand out, let it air outside, and now it's rusty as hell...haha...is that just how it goes? if they get wet at all, they rust?

the bent ring is the bearing seal. just get a full set of rubber sealed bearings its a lot cheaper than buying individual bearings you don't need new hubs just clean them out when you change the bearings. also I would avoid wet sand ;)

Check out jimsbearings.com

He has kits, some of which are paired with stainless steel bearings for the hubs (they won't rust).

Given your bashing area I think that might be the way to go.

RC's don't like water and especially don't like sand and salty air but lots of people still do it 😀. Its normal to see the rust you are seeing where you are at. I have read some using some wd40 or silicone spray oil to try and protect it.

You might benefit from some rear mud guards too, Arrma makes a set for the TLR (not sure if it fits the blx) and I have seen several "laundry detergent jug" mud guards too.

Last edited:
I have the same problem. Like to run on the beach. Wet sand is enough to cause everything to rust. Wheel bearing are the first to go followed by motor bearings...for me anyway.

Have a look at my thread. @Shadows has very good suggestions to help prolong the life when salt water bashing

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/salt-water-vs-rc.70806/

I don't run in sand or near salt water, but I do use TRB ceramic hybrid bearings in the wheel hubs of my 6s vehicles. The TRB bearings have ceramic balls and stainless-steel bearing races, and they remain mostly rust free. Ceramic hybrid bearings aren't cheap, but it's worth it to me to not have to replace wheel bearings often.

The environment you drive your truck in is definitely going to require more maintenance. Be vigilant about cleaning off the sand and a freshwater Rinse wouldn’t hurt, lots of lubricants. Lots of silicone sprays to try and prolong the life of your RC.

I legit throw them in the tub... or use the misty settings on the garden hose. Meaning very light water pressure. Very light..
Bottle brush or similar Mr clean cleaning brush and dawn dish soap... rinse them off, soap em up, rinse them off.

Then use my leaf blower to dry them off.. works amazingly.

Compressed air when wet will force water in places it shouldn't be..

If you let dry on their own the black oxide screws will rust.

None of my rc have any signs of rust on any screws or hardware. I clean them like this constantly. I hate dirty rc.

Done it this way for 30 years, never killed anything with water or ruined any bearings.

20231210_160013.jpg

20231210_142128.jpg

It’s pretty imperative to wash it with running water, and a decent stream at that. Don’t hit the electronics directly, but also don’t be afraid if they get splashed. Beach sand (esp. saltwater) is not your friend, and when you’re done rinse the rig thoroughly. Hubs, pivot points, linkages, etc. Rinse out all salt and sand. Completely. Then dry what you can and finish drying it with a hairdryer. I also use compressed air but be careful to not blow water into the electronics.
You can use WD40 on screw heads to prevent rust. I apply it with a Q-tip, don’t spray that crap on your rigs. A drop or two of light machine oil in the bearings will keep them better for longer.

Last edited:
I would venture to guess that the bearing was already on it's way out. Significant corrosion doesn't happen in a matter of seconds or minutes, more like days and months. Plenty of people, including myself, run in sand without issue, but I'd have to think the bearing was nearing end of life anyway.

To restate what's been stated above: when running in rougher conditions such as water, mud, sand, and salt water, more frequent and more detailed maintenance is required to maintain longevity of your trucks. Wash/rinse the car off as soon as you get home. You could use a gentle bristle brush to help remove "chunkies" and crystalline salt. Then lube up, if that's your preference. Even with more frequent maintenance, expect to need to change bearings more frequently.

There's probably sand in the pivot balls (ball joint looking things lol). These are in your steering blocks. On the outside of the steering blocks are red retaining screws, at the top and bottom. With a 5mm allen wrench, loosen them up so there is play in the ball and hit that area with a can of compressed air to blow out any debri. Before tightening, see if your steering freed up. If so, spray some WD40 in it and tighten the red retaining screws. But don't over-tighten or you'll have the same problem lol. They just need to be snug, not too tight.

I have 3 Typhons V5 6s, one is for water/nasty dirt because its rusty, the other 2 are only for street bashing so they don't rust.

I keep a can of compressed air with me in case I hit a puddle with my street Typhons, because thats all it took to rust out one of them. If I run into water, I immediately hit the drive shafts/screws/metal areas with compressed air on the spot. Otherwise they will rust.

Good luck!

I Have the same issue.
After running on the beach, i spray the cars with water and dishwashing soap. Then i rinse them off with the garden hose. I try not to hit the electronics directly. Then i hang them to dry in the sun and wind. Then i apply silicone spray on all moving and rusty parts, especially the bearings.
I started packing all bearings full with bearing grease. It helps. Still, you will need to replace them more often. And i occasionally destroy a receiver, since the receiver box is not waterproof.

I Have the same issue.
After running on the beach, i spray the cars with water and dishwashing soap. Then i rinse them off with the garden hose. I try not to hit the electronics directly. Then i hang them to dry in the sun and wind. Then i apply silicone spray on all moving and rusty parts, especially the bearings.
I started packing all bearings full with bearing grease. It helps. Still, you will need to replace them more often. And i occasionally destroy a receiver, since the receiver box is not waterproof.
Aliexpress. A bit of silicon glue to where the wires enter the box and works quite well.

1716562948507.png

Back