Vorteks Opinion needed on esc

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lethalcobra2k3

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Vorteks
Im going through a massive upgrade on my little vorteks. So far aluminum oil filled shocks, stiffer springs, metal diffs, outcast 4s center diff. spektrum 4074 motor, new cvds, my only issue is an esc. Will a hobbywing quicrun 8bl150 work well? Its a really light rig for 4s or 6s. Would the firma 150 be better?

Im going through a massive upgrade on my little vorteks. So far aluminum oil filled shocks, stiffer springs, metal diffs, outcast 4s center diff. spektrum 4074 motor, new cvds, my only issue is an esc. Will a hobbywing quicrun 8bl150 work well? Its a really light rig for 4s or 6s. Would the firma 150 be better?
Those two are essentially the same. 6s imo is overkill for that rig. What about a 10lb120 v2?

If you want the power than the 8bl150 V2 or the Firma 150 would be good choices.

The 8BL150 will work fine, no the Firma 150a isn't any better as at its core it is a rebranded 8BL150 esc.

Those two are essentially the same. 6s imo is overkill for that rig. What about a 10lb120 v2?

If you want the power than the 8bl150 or the Firma 150 would be good choices.
I plan on testing it on 4s but the goal is overkill. My end goal is the same speed as the 3s with the 20t pinion but the ability to run on grass without cooking it. I listened to everyone in the forums about what breaks and I am upgrading it. I already have a k6 v5 but wanted to use the 1/10 platform. The hopes are to take the little vorteks that I love and make it absolutely insane. I had to gear down the 3s because it was hitting thermal limits in grass with the 18t, I want 20T speed with 15t power

The 8BL150 will work fine, no the Firma 150a isn't any better as at its core it is a rebranded 8BL150 esc.
If its a rebranded 8bl150 do I need a programmer to tune it? The firma has an easy menu and Ive never used HW

I plan on testing it on 4s but the goal is overkill. My end goal is the same speed as the 3s with the 20t pinion but the ability to run on grass without cooking it. I listened to everyone in the forums about what breaks and I am upgrading it. I already have a k6 v5 but wanted to use the 1/10 platform. The hopes are to take the little vorteks that I love and make it absolutely insane. I had to gear down the 3s because it was hitting thermal limits in grass with the 18t, I want 20T speed with 15t power

If its a rebranded 8bl150 do I need a programmer to tune it? The firma has an easy menu and Ive never used HW

The programming process is 100% the same between both escs. Even the throttle calibration is 100% the same.

Not going to be easy fitting in the 150 ESC. There are a couple adapters out there I believe. Also, the HW take 6.5mm bullets from the motor and I believe the Spektrum are 4mm. Length of the motor wires may also be a problem. If you are going to use the HW ESC best to pair it with a HW Motor or similar.

Firma 150 would better match the 4mm from the motor.

Not going to be easy fitting in the 150 ESC. There are a couple adapters out there I believe. Also, the HW take 6.5mm bullets from the motor and I believe the Spektrum are 4mm. Length of the motor wires may also be a problem. If you are going to use the HW ESC best to pair it with a HW Motor or similar.

Firma 150 would better match the 4mm from the motor.
Oooh good catch, I hadn't thought about the motor wires. I have seen people stuff in the esc by trimming the receiver case a bit and I don't run in real wet conditions after the great bearing incident of 2023

Oooh good catch, I hadn't thought about the motor wires. I have seen people stuff in the esc by trimming the receiver case a bit and I don't run in real wet conditions after the great bearing incident of 2023
Inquiring minds would like to know what happened? 😆

Inquiring minds would like to know what happened? 😆
I was bashing through the snow in a vorteks open sleigh, through salty puddles I go, rusting all the way 😂
The HW 8bl150 has 4mm motor connectors. The new 8bl150 G2 has 6.5mm.
since wire length will be an issue with the HW, couldnt I just make a jumper with appropriate barrels on each end?

I was bashing through the snow in a vorteks open sleigh, through salty puddles I go, rusting all the way 😂

since wire length will be an issue with the HW, couldnt I just make a jumper with appropriate barrels on each end?

I think it will be okay to do that.

Back