Outcast Outcast 4s vs Maxx V2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xjeepguy

Super-Secret Yarmaluthe
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Notorious
Got my new Outcast 4s yesterday from the LHS, and since everybody is comparing the new 4s line to the Maxx v2, I figured I’d throw in my .02.

I purchased both of these trucks new, this week. Both trucks have a new Reefs Raw 500 steering servo installed, because I hate slow servos.

E28E355D-4DF0-4C77-95AA-101CC9020871.jpeg

289719CA-A15D-4738-8E5E-48677AB919DF.jpeg

As you all know, the outcast is shorter than the Maxx, and it is a huge difference in handling. The Maxx is more stable, while the Outcast is wild. By wild, I mean fun. This thing is an absolute blast to jump, to backflip, air control is instant, and it seems to land on its wheels with minimal effort. This comparison would be better suited for the Kraton 4s for that reason. The tires on the Outcast win hands down. I’m actually going to buy a set for the Maxx soon. We all know how perfect the Arrma backflip tires are.
483132B4-6059-4B96-AF50-DDCAB753A304.jpeg

4AD07B1B-22C3-4816-8448-A5CBDDCDF17C.jpeg

Build quality is similar, although fit and finish are slightly nicer on the Maxx, but for $100 more it had better be.

The body on the Outcast is nothing short of perfect if you are a basher. It’s thick and stiff, and has an awesome look to it. It stays where you put it, unlike the Maxx, which has its body fly off every time you have a bad landing. Probably my biggest gripe about the Maxx/Xmaxx line is that the bodies don’t stay on.

Both trucks have battery trays that annoy me lol. The Maxx had a Velcro strap installed immediately after opening the box. That bar thing they use is only useful if you run overpriced traxxas batteries. The one in the outcast is a bit big, and if you utilize the straps to use the built in cable holds, you can’t fasten it all the way down. I’ll probably be replacing the Velcro straps and adding some foam to this one.

So which one is better? That’s easy, neither. They’re both fast, they both handle great, they both have awesome suspension, and so far they’ve both taken every bit of punishment I’ve given them.

If you are thinking about buying either truck, do it. I love both of them, but right now, I’m enjoying the Outcast a bit more because of its wild handling characteristics. It’s an absolute blast.

Thanks for the review! I find it interesting that the Maxx V1 was wild and crazy and was tamed on the v2 version :LOL:.

Maybe Traxxas should have just had two versions (like the Kraton and the Outcast?)

I hear the Maxx is tough as nails, please let us know how they hold up after some fun!

Thanks for the review! I find it interesting that the Maxx V1 was wild and crazy and was tamed on the v2 version :LOL:.

Maybe Traxxas should have just had two versions (like the Kraton and the Outcast?)

I hear the Maxx is tough as nails, please let us know how they hold up after some fun!
The Maxx is 100% tough as nails. I verified that yesterday when I hit my son in laws car at full speed, and only had one pulled out screw and a loose pinion.

Did it strip the threads?

Also.. dang pinions.. it's 2022 why are we still using grub screws and dealing with them loosening up...

A friend drove my Maxx full speed into a cement curb. I’m talking 45ish mph into an unmovable wall.

And nothing broke. I couldn’t believe it. Any other car I own would’ve been $100+ in repairs.

Did it strip the threads?

Also.. dang pinions.. it's 2022 why are we still using grub screws and dealing with them loosening up...
I simply put a larger screw into the plastic where the top motor mount screws in, and the pinion just needed tightened.
A friend drove my Maxx full speed into a cement curb. I’m talking 45ish mph into an unmovable wall.

And nothing broke. I couldn’t believe it. Any other car I own would’ve been $100+ in repairs.
Yeah, I was incredibly impressed with it. Little thing is savage.
If I could figure out how, I’d post a vid of it that my ring doorbell cam caught. It shows the truck hitting the car.

I have a pretty good suspicion it wouldn’t fare as well as the Maxx did. I don’t want to know for sure lol.
Check the lower bulkhead, I’ve cracked mine without knowing before.

Maxx’s are tough but handle pretty poorly.

If Safe-D pinions fit all motors shafts, I would use it more.
So far i used them om Castle Creations, Hobbywing and the Spektrum motors. No problems. Regular pinions require the grub to be centered right above the flat spot on the motor shaft, while assembling. If it's off, it's not going to stay on. Safe D pinions center themselves.

So far i used them om Castle Creations, Hobbywing and the Spektrum motors. No problems. Regular pinions require the grub to be centered right above the flat spot on the motor shaft, while assembling. If it's off, it's not going to stay on. Safe D pinions center themselves.
Interesting, My stock pinion from a Senton blx V3 did not fit a Castle creations 3800kv 5mm shaft.

What good is Safe D without the E clip? Most motor shafts do not have the groove for the clip, so basically you still have a pinion that will slide or fall off if the grub screw gets loose.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back