Granite Outdrive fix but???? Pics Added

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fallen

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
So this is how it goes. Grab yourself a set of Traxxas rustler drive shafts,like 12 bucks and maybe from the same place get 4 5x11x4 bearings. Then this is the time you have to decide if you want to take a chance or spend the 20 bucks to get four sets of outdrives.Think

Ok so you also going to need 4 grub screws 3m, but longer than a pinion grub sooo cuz im cheap I used a 20% coupon from HF and got a box of grub scerws 6$,your only gonna use the smallest ones but if you have minibikes/gokarts the rest will be handy to have.Think

Now you have to ruin things. What you have to do is drill the axle carrier out to 5mm or 7/16 be careful and keep it strait,now chase the rear of the carrier about 1/16th with a 1/2 drill because the traxxas shaft has to be countersunk JUST A BIT so you can put the hex pin in the axle and INTO the hex. No Pics sorry,I wasnt in the mood nore am I youtuber generation.Think

The four grub scews go into the 2 traxxas driveshaft yolks(mine were just a little bit below flush(traxxas uses a pin and were clamping) when tight.Take your time on all of this!!! I dismantled the suspension and put the inner(male) on first. Now ill tell you I cut the male shaft about 1/2 inch shorter and filed and beveled it to fit and slide free.It might of been fine stock.Think

Now assemble and take your time.Me, I put the rear bearing one the axle and seated it,then front bearing and checked to make sure the hex pin fit ALL the way into the hex without binding,if it binds coubtersink the back of the carrier JUST A BIT more. Fiddle and make it work,this is just a rig.Think

I said but? Because for whatever reason with 6 arrrma cells on the test drive the steering servo just started spinning , This was however after about 20 mins or so of my grandson flying around the backyard. Its flat but he has a relentless trigger finger forward ,backward wheelies flips up his legs, the drive was fine BUT the servo failed or the esc,Im about over this thing. I shared my fix got any ides for mine,my truck has been a dud since day one. Batteries,Esc,outdrives I guess the servo was last in line. About me,been saving paper route money for a year,building and fixing these since 85,I just got a bigger route now,lol. Again sorry no pics. on the marrow ill take a couple

Last edited:
I got a set of 4 of those mg995 servos,I hope they will work with servo saver and srs unit. Heres the pics

Attachments

• DSC00597.JPG
    DSC00597.JPG
    388 KB · Views: 118
  • DSC00598.JPG
    DSC00598.JPG
    346.5 KB · Views: 113
  • DSC00599.JPG
    DSC00599.JPG
    305.8 KB · Views: 114
  • DSC00600.JPG
    DSC00600.JPG
    295.7 KB · Views: 106
I bought the china mg996r servos 3 wire brown- red+orange signal. How do I plug this into the srs to make it work? Does anyone know the pinout for the servo plug? Thank You

I forget the pinout on the SRS, but I’ll try to remember to check later today. For the servos, I believe brown is negative, red is positive, and orange is signal, if that helps. Can’t help with the servo saver fit. All I can say is that I was able to drop in a servo from a Kraton and it fit just fine.

Is it a 3 wire servo you used on the 5 wire srs?.I can get the 996 to work on a durtrax buggy but it will not work on the srs unit,any ideas?

This entire thread is full of so many parts that are just going to break or fail I don't even know where to start.

I know its a 99$ truck that my son paid 199for as a bday gift for me. Im just trying to keep it going. I just want to know how to use a 3 wire servo with the srs unit. Arrma supplied a servo saver adaptor that fits the mg996,I just cannot get the servo to work,maybe the servo spun because of the srs unit. Ill keep messing with it.

Just have to ask you are trying to plug into the 3 wire servo side of the SRS unit not the 5 wire side right?

AgZOdoR.jpg

There are two ports on the SRS unit: one is for a 5-wire servo and the other can drive a 3-wire. I just checked mine, and the black or brown wire of a three wire servo should be on the side closest to the power switch when using the 3-wire port.

THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!!! I had no idea! Ill let you know. That is the answer,It is working. Again Thank You

You guys cheap and sad,you should both get 1000 points for real help. I did not even see that port that says SERVO on it,lol. Its not in the book I got. I did get parts in a little bag for the servosaver to fit the mg996r. Slick2500 I will see what breaks next,thank You for your wisdom and help! Now ill post back if the axles fail or not.

Glad to help. It’s annoying that there are links on the arrma website to an atx101/SRS manual separate from the manual that comes with the vehicle, but the links are all broken!

So far after 2 full runs with 6 arrma cells the drive shaft rig is holding up. Ill put the 2s to it soon and if its going to fail it will do it then,so far a thumbs up!

2s they might be okay it depends on your slipper setup, 3s they won't last long. In your pictures I can already see the holes getting slopped out at the u joints.

Slipper,I have no idea but it would be nice and solve a heap of problems. The sloppy drive shafts are probly 8 years old out of my parts box from a brushless Rustler that I ran into a 6x6 yard post going as fast as it would go on 3s lipo. It disintegrated and those drive shafts were about all that was left usable,They are 11$ a pair when they fail ill get more

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back