Parts bin Typhon

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Velodromed

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Kraton 4s
  5. Notorious
  6. Outcast 4s
  7. Vorteks
  8. Voltage
  9. Infraction 4x4
I’ve gotten to the point in the hobby and that I can build a 3s car from my spare parts box. Only thing I bought for this build are the tires and fortunately they were on sale.
Primarily it’s for parking lot bashing…figured my wife needs a car to so she can join me with my mini infraction 😊

14E2D964-4BA7-4ACA-8C0C-D33C324726EC.jpeg

E044244B-E235-41E7-BE42-0AB9A651914A.jpeg

FA4C88F5-3B25-41B1-8CE6-D6C194306405.jpeg

Right?? I needed something to do while I’ve been laid up. I was surprised myself at how much I have accrued over the last year and a half. It’s all put the good use now. Shes only a 45-50 mile an hour car. That’s plenty for parking lot fun. Hell, the wife will only drive it about 15mph anyway 😂
Thanks guys!

That outcast wing looks good on there!
Thanks! I originally got in it for my notorious but decided to not put a wing on it. I like it better than the giant typhon wing which is kind of fragile.

Right?? I needed something to do while I’ve been laid up. I was surprised myself at how much I have accrued over the last year and a half. It’s all put the good use now. Shes only a 45-50 mile an hour car. That’s plenty for parking lot fun. Hell, the wife will only drive it about 15mph anyway 😂
Thanks guys!
And only on Sundays right? 🤣

Looks great👍.
But you that you only used spare parts for that build you need new spare parts for all the cars AND even some more for the new car!🤣
Chicago Bulls What GIF by NBA
Yeah…still have enough left over to build a swb if I wanted (not including used parts) 😂 I also have six, 3s cars and can borrow from one to the other as needed. I don’t break them much anymore, mainly just routine maintenance I deal with. The thrill of beating them hard faded after awhile.
And only on Sundays right? 🤣
That’s great 😅 but I love it. I rarely have to work on her big rock and she has so much fun piddling around. Unless there’s jumps. She like those at moderate speed.

Last edited:
PB (parts bin) has gone off road and I LOVE IT! It’s interesting that I didn’t like the typhon when I got it early last year but love it now. I’m glad I saved the old parts from when I turned it into Old Yeller.

Couple cool things about building it.
Originally I took the old mega spur from my granite and put on a 57 tooth spur from my mini infraction and it worked great! Until it melted. So I dug out another spur assembly from my box of new parts and installed it… complete with the Velo mod sleeve for the slippper hub 🙃

The original chassis from the Typhon I bought over a year ago broke on the side within a few runs when I slammed into a rock sideways. I never tossed it because it was too damn new to waste. I threw it into my other box of old parts and forgot about it. So I pulled it out, cut a piece of HDPE plastic and screwed it across the break. Works great! After a dozen runs I have not had any issues. When I finally does break, no big deal.

I kept the original Typhon drive shafts but I had lost the flat head screws that hold the pins. So I use the appropriate length cap head and they worked just fine. A lot harder to strip as well.

The first set of Proline tires I ever bought were belted badlands MX28s, the thinner ones. I had originally bought them for my vorteks but after a month I didn’t like them, so I shelved and forgot. They are perfect for the typhon and I love how it drives!

Instead of picking up Arrma turnbuckles I use a set that I have gotten off of Jenny’s from the Traxxas rustler. I’ve been slowly switching some of my cars over these and they are absolutely great. They come with metal balls already, are stronger, lighter and the slight play where they connect in a couple of areas is easily taken care of with a a washer or two.

I had an extra wing for my notorious that I never used because I decided to not have a wing on my notorious. It looks fantastic on the Typhon. It’s stronger, smaller and better looking (to me) than their stock wing, which broke on the third run when I first got it. I like the three spots on top made to fit M4 cap head screws. They protect the wing top quite well from roll over slides.

I picked up a dual powerhobby fan because it was on sale. Mainly I just wanted the fan mount and fan covers. I figured the fans are crap. But they are extremely powerful and I like them! They keep the motor nice and cool. When they die I will simply swap in a couple of rocket fans.

I have a collection of old T-bone bumpers boxed away I’m starting to reuse again. This one is perfect for the front but I lost the metal pin retainer, so I cut one out of a piece of plastic and all good.

I’m using stock shocks for the first time! Usually I immediately swap out stock shocks with 6s shocks but I’m building this car with spare parts and used parts only. So I dug out four new stock shocks, topped off the oil and they work great on this light weight car. I like the black caps that were on the voltage shocks so I swapped them out with the red ones since they’re the same exact thing, just different colors. Looks better to me.

Lastly I installed one of my T-bone wheelie bars that I have lying around. I didn’t bother attaching it to the upper bulkhead Since I couldn’t make out how to with the wing mount. But I’ve run them like this before and they’re fine, maybe it’ll even protect the wing somewhat. Years ago when I got my first T-bone bumper the wheel bearing seal fell out within the first week. So I flushed out the bearing, oiled them and press fit round silicon washers (same size as the bearing) in hopes they would last longer and they have. To maintain I pull off the silicone washers, clean out and re-oil the bearings. I did the same mod with a couple of TBone wheelie bar wheels on other cars almost 2 years ago and they have held up well.

It’s done for now. I’m gonna get it out tomorrow, make any adjustments needed to the spur and enjoy it. I really like the light nimble feeling it has. I also put an 18t pinion in because the 20t pinion was causing some cogging.

🤔 That cogging problem could’ve also been from the melting spur though (bearing was frozen even). It’s running at 2650 KV, 3070 surpass motor so it should’ve done fine. If tomorrow goes well I may even put in a 22t in. I want a fast off-road car that I can put road tires on for parking lot fun as well. I mean I bought four pairs 100mm hoons during the tire sale, need a car to use ‘em on.

B8394389-75BC-42C1-91BC-8AF7D8D4DD88.jpeg

A2190985-B6DE-45B9-8D06-D5AC038F20A3.jpeg

50D35885-5986-46A1-83C1-48DFDB69FEF6.jpeg

8E3AF051-990B-46A2-854F-97E1D698490E.jpeg

057F5D64-6B06-4C6F-96CE-CB519E3FB60F.jpeg

29EA12D7-25CE-4FE8-9F2E-EA7294C7D2EA.jpeg

FED8B502-4980-487D-A9DB-8B289901ED51.jpeg

9CE1AB66-23E8-46E0-BBC8-A80A347E7B36.jpeg

D61325C4-FD04-4289-9CCF-D970FD2FA4F2.jpeg

2C311257-C239-4184-9DBB-D1284E68CC48.jpeg

Last edited:
First picture is our beautiful little neighborhood lake at the beginning of the summer. Second picture is now…it’s 90% gone. I’ve never seen it this low. What’s left is basically a 2 foot deep swamp pond thing now

It is fun to run my cars on though! Took the parts bin typhon out earlier and ripped it around for awhile…until I ran into my wife’s foot. Fun time over 😖

4E726F66-3856-4CC7-B2A5-8263B58841BE.jpeg

5AC4FD6A-DE2B-47FA-83A9-ED0D66A9BBFE.jpeg

I like this little car so much that I went ahead and put a set of 6S shocks on it as well as the mx28 badlands. Total next level for this car. It was fun before, now it is an absolute blast! Thinking my next car may be a 6S Typhon 😏 so far the only breakers on this car is a stripped out rear differential. Which was my fault. I must’ve been feeling bad or drinking when I put it together because I had three shims on one side, one shim on the other and it just kind of ground itself away…

When I put in the new differential I ran a line of liquid gasket around the diff housing. I am determined to keep some of this super fine dust out one way or another.

74893DC4-6325-46B5-BAC1-05069A74D739.jpeg

5F4E9C5D-1D06-4A84-B1BC-49FA612BED5B.jpeg

E3FBB6FC-13B1-4CE1-904E-FFF18E588051.jpeg

I like this little car so much that I went ahead and put a set of 6S shocks on it as well as the mx28 badlands. Total next level for this car. It was fun before, now it is an absolute blast! Thinking my next car may be a 6S Typhon 😏 so far the only breakers on this car is a stripped out rear differential. Which was my fault. I must’ve been feeling bad or drinking when I put it together because I had three shims on one side, one shim on the other and it just kind of ground itself away…

When I put in the new differential I ran a line of liquid gasket around the diff housing. I am determined to keep some of this super fine dust out one way or another.

View attachment 252368

View attachment 252372
Do it! If you like the 3s I think you'll LOVE the 6s. I may be biased here cuz I have 3 & am currently building another one...for a friend😄😉 Looks like you have plenty of room for one to really boogie across that dry lake bed

Do it! If you like the 3s I think you'll LOVE the 6s. I may be biased here cuz I have 3 & am currently building another one...for a friend😄😉 Looks like you have plenty of room for one to really boogie across that dry lake bed
Yup! It’ll be next year though. Maybe a birthday thing lol the lake will hopefully be somewhat full .

PB (parts bin) has gone off road and I LOVE IT! It’s interesting that I didn’t like the typhon when I got it early last year but love it now. I’m glad I saved the old parts from when I turned it into Old Yeller.

Couple cool things about building it.
Originally I took the old mega spur from my granite and put on a 57 tooth spur from my mini infraction and it worked great! Until it melted. So I dug out another spur assembly from my box of new parts and installed it… complete with the Velo mod sleeve for the slippper hub 🙃

The original chassis from the Typhon I bought over a year ago broke on the side within a few runs when I slammed into a rock sideways. I never tossed it because it was too damn new to waste. I threw it into my other box of old parts and forgot about it. So I pulled it out, cut a piece of HDPE plastic and screwed it across the break. Works great! After a dozen runs I have not had any issues. When I finally does break, no big deal.

I kept the original Typhon drive shafts but I had lost the flat head screws that hold the pins. So I use the appropriate length cap head and they worked just fine. A lot harder to strip as well.

The first set of Proline tires I ever bought were belted badlands MX28s, the thinner ones. I had originally bought them for my vorteks but after a month I didn’t like them, so I shelved and forgot. They are perfect for the typhon and I love how it drives!

Instead of picking up Arrma turnbuckles I use a set that I have gotten off of Jenny’s from the Traxxas rustler. I’ve been slowly switching some of my cars over these and they are absolutely great. They come with metal balls already, are stronger, lighter and the slight play where they connect in a couple of areas is easily taken care of with a a washer or two.

I had an extra wing for my notorious that I never used because I decided to not have a wing on my notorious. It looks fantastic on the Typhon. It’s stronger, smaller and better looking (to me) than their stock wing, which broke on the third run when I first got it. I like the three spots on top made to fit M4 cap head screws. They protect the wing top quite well from roll over slides.

I picked up a dual powerhobby fan because it was on sale. Mainly I just wanted the fan mount and fan covers. I figured the fans are crap. But they are extremely powerful and I like them! They keep the motor nice and cool. When they die I will simply swap in a couple of rocket fans.

I have a collection of old T-bone bumpers boxed away I’m starting to reuse again. This one is perfect for the front but I lost the metal pin retainer, so I cut one out of a piece of plastic and all good.

I’m using stock shocks for the first time! Usually I immediately swap out stock shocks with 6s shocks but I’m building this car with spare parts and used parts only. So I dug out four new stock shocks, topped off the oil and they work great on this light weight car. I like the black caps that were on the voltage shocks so I swapped them out with the red ones since they’re the same exact thing, just different colors. Looks better to me.

Lastly I installed one of my T-bone wheelie bars that I have lying around. I didn’t bother attaching it to the upper bulkhead Since I couldn’t make out how to with the wing mount. But I’ve run them like this before and they’re fine, maybe it’ll even protect the wing somewhat. Years ago when I got my first T-bone bumper the wheel bearing seal fell out within the first week. So I flushed out the bearing, oiled them and press fit round silicon washers (same size as the bearing) in hopes they would last longer and they have. To maintain I pull off the silicone washers, clean out and re-oil the bearings. I did the same mod with a couple of TBone wheelie bar wheels on other cars almost 2 years ago and they have held up well.

It’s done for now. I’m gonna get it out tomorrow, make any adjustments needed to the spur and enjoy it. I really like the light nimble feeling it has. I also put an 18t pinion in because the 20t pinion was causing some cogging.

🤔 That cogging problem could’ve also been from the melting spur though (bearing was frozen even). It’s running at 2650 KV, 3070 surpass motor so it should’ve done fine. If tomorrow goes well I may even put in a 22t in. I want a fast off-road car that I can put road tires on for parking lot fun as well. I mean I bought four pairs 100mm hoons during the tire sale, need a car to use ‘em on.

View attachment 239183

View attachment 239184

View attachment 239185

View attachment 239186

View attachment 239187

View attachment 239188

View attachment 239189

View attachment 239190

View attachment 239192

View attachment 239193
I cant tell you how many Wheelie bar wheels I ate.
T-Bone used to use Dubro RC Plane tail wheels way back in their grass roots beginning. They had no BB's, Just that the rubber would rip apart. Under warranty they sent me the BB type wheels. They also sucked. I just mount large sealed BB's now for wheels. Skate board bare BB's. Tried this on the Noto. I may just use the whole Skate board wheels and all.:giggle: But are heavy at the rear and makes the Noto wheelie even more. Which I am not fond of.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back