Kraton Pinion slid around after being lubed up from leaky diff!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My pinion slipped into the motor mount yesterday. When I tried to remove the mount one of my mount screws was stuck in with lots of loctite. Had to drill it out. Now I sit and wait for new motor mount screws from A-main since no LHS's have them in stock...
Don't take anything apart until you have to as that can loosen things up in unexpected ways. Since it appears you have a 6s and not an exb I'd say you're probably fine leaving your diffs alone for now. It appears the shim issue is really a problem with the exb models, not the blx.

If you are going to bash thicken up the center diff fluid. Thicker center diff will mean more pore evenly transferred to the wheels. I put silicone ear plugs in my center diff (more or less locks the center diff) because I don't race, I send it whenever I can...it also helps lower tire ballooning if you're not in to strapping your tires. Speaking of, fill the holes on the plastic rim then vent your tires themselves instead. The holes being on the inside just seems to add water when they get wet but not release it whereas venting the tires allows all that crap to get out easier...and it helps tires not explode on hard landings from what I understand.

I also put the "speed" pinion that came with the kraton on, added a heatsync/fans, added the outcast wheelie bar, two rpm bumpers (front and back) and raise the front suspension a tiny bit to take some pressure off your shock ends. There is an adjustment screw for that on the lower A arm. From the factory mine was set to the exact length of the shock so I raised it about 2mm just so when I jump it's not slamming down on the shock end but doing so on the chassis ;)

EDIT: also don't forget to check all your screws, bearings and joints every three or four run cycles, more often is preferable but I'd be lying if I said I checked mine every time ;) I had an issue with my right upper pillow ball being too loose but I checked everything after running it up and down my street as a shake down run. Good safe way to get the kinks out as it were

Last edited:
Guys, I am having a bit of trouble with my center diff and came across this thread. Did the OP manage to fix their leaking diff?
I'm running a V4 K6S and I was just doing my routine diff rebuilds and the center just isn't cooperating.
It turned itself into a spool before pissing out much of the diff fluid though the output cup on the crown gear side.
The only change to prior was the new diff cup as a rock got into the chassis and scratched out the existing one (just cosmetic damage, still functioned ok)
I have since rebuilt it with a fresh o-ring and it's locked up again in my hands when manually twisting the diff..... tonight I will swap out all sun and planetaries to rule them out.
If anyone has any bright ideas, please let me know..... Especially the OP, why did yours leak in the first instance? and did it leak from the gasket area or the o-ring like mine?

Guys, I am having a bit of trouble with my center diff and came across this thread. Did the OP manage to fix their leaking diff?
I'm running a V4 K6S and I was just doing my routine diff rebuilds and the center just isn't cooperating.
It turned itself into a spool before pissing out much of the diff fluid though the output cup on the crown gear side.
The only change to prior was the new diff cup as a rock got into the chassis and scratched out the existing one (just cosmetic damage, still functioned ok)
I have since rebuilt it with a fresh o-ring and it's locked up again in my hands when manually twisting the diff..... tonight I will swap out all sun and planetaries to rule them out.
If anyone has any bright ideas, please let me know..... Especially the OP, why did yours leak in the first instance? and did it leak from the gasket area or the o-ring like mine?
If you generally bash you could replace fluid with silicone ear plugs, I don't have any issues with leaking...granted, my center diff is basically locked but I'm nott racing on a track so it works real well for my send and repeat motto ;)

That or you can clean it all out and put new orings, clean or replace the gasket and reshim it with some heavy grease around the areas fluis could leak...if you are planning to race you'll want that center diff, if you don't race I'd suggest the ear plugs. ;)

Ear plugs:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003LZQGN6?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

I’m actually getting ready to rebuild my diff today, but I just noticed your post, I haven’t been getting the notifications as they’ve been going to my spam inbox which I don’t check very much if at all and I haven’t been online much because I’ve been fairly busy the past few days. All my batteries are dead and being charged so I figured I have a little time now to do a rebuild. I did fix the leaking diff for sure. The screws that screw into the spur gear and diff cup we’re not as tight as they should have been which is the reason I started leaking fluid in the first place. Popped the diff out, cleaned it all up (outside only) and tightened the screws. I’ve ran it doing wheelies left and right for about 4-6 battery packs each run being about 25-30 mins and it hasn’t leaked a bit. I’m sorry to hear about the problem you’re having and I know it’s definitely not fun to have any leaking as it makes a huge mess and makes you wonder what went wrong. As far my input, all I can suggest is making sure your screws are nice and tight. Make sure you have all shims installed properly and if you put it all back together the way it was when you took it apart it should be good. Make sure your gasket is good and possibly use a new one if you can. Use thick diff fluid, I currently use 100k. You should be able to get it right with fluid to ensure you have no leakages but if all else fails, than maybe try the ear plug route as @NewSensei suggested. I can’t say from experience how that would be since I haven’t done that but I see others suggest it quite a bit so I would like to think it probably works pretty good. I’m sorry if that wasn’t very helpful but I just wanted to at least reply to you. I hope you can figure it out soon. Best wishes.

make sure that if it has been leaking you open and top off the fluids. Your really don't want to bash on low or no fluids...

make sure that if it has been leaking you open and top off the fluids. Your really don't want to bash on low or no fluids...
IMO, I wouldn’t just top off my diff fluid, if I open it up at all, at that point I would just rebuild completely. In my case I was tightening the screws to see if that’s all that was causing the leak, and luckily, that is all it was. It didn’t lose so much fluid to wear it was going to break but it was leaking enough to make a bit of a mess on the gear. Definitely wouldn’t want to keep running it without rebuilding but had to run little bit to be sure that it wasn’t leaking after tightening screws. If you don’t top off fluids like me, you run the risk of stripping or chipping gears but that’s a risk I was willing to take. I’ve got plenty of extra gears and replacements on hand along with ample fluid. It’s simple enough to build a diff. If you don’t have extras, then topping fluids until you can rebuild the diff is better than running it dry.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back