Limitless Range roundup - different transmitter MAX RANGE comparison

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, and adding on to that point, if your rx wire get slammed between the pinion and the spur at 150mph, it’s destroyed before you can even react, another good reason to keep it away from the spinning stuff.
by the way @LicketySplit ham radio squad!
Do you do DMR by any chance?

That’s what it looked like to me, i know how much range you need for a 150 pass on a 1/8th scale car, is it much diffrent for a limitless?
Probably about the same. The runs on the gps with run down, the pass and return is 5200-5500 feet, we are going to up the gearing soon, he has 6-7 154-157 passes. He’s had a couple random times where it loses signal if he stops too long when trying to go to the furthest spot we can run. So one less thing to worry about
Yup. That’s all you have to do.
Cool I’ve got a bunch of extra plugs so that’s easy enough.
Shipping is one day which is much better then mine from China that takes a damn month

Do you do DMR by any chance?
I’m into it a little bit, but more so my grandpa. You?
Probably about the same. The runs on the gps with run down, the pass and return is 5200-5500 feet, we are going to up the gearing soon, he has 6-7 154-157 passes. He’s had a couple random times where it loses signal if he stops too long when trying to go to the furthest spot we can run. So one less thing to worry about

Cool I’ve got a bunch of extra plugs so that’s easy enough.
Shipping is one day which is much better then mine from China that takes a damn month
Mine are about 3,000 feet round trip, but my car is really hurting afterwards. So call it for a good pass, 3000 feet for the run, and 1500 to get back so 4500 ft round trip

I’m into it a little bit, but more so my grandpa. You?

Mine are about 3,000 feet round trip, but my car is really hurting afterwards. So call it for a good pass, 3000 feet for the run, and 1500 to get back so 4500 ft round trip
Yup. I drive a tanker so I take a hotpot and an OpenSpot 3 with me while I’m driving around Florida to talk to my buddies while I’m on the road. Figured if you did it it was an easy way to talk. I could start an RC talkgroup.

That doesn’t sound like a bad plan my guy.
my grandpa is a real expert, give me a few weeks to build up some more knowledge then im in.

That doesn’t sound like a bad plan my guy.
my grandpa is a real expert, give me a few weeks to build up some more knowledge then im in.
Sounds good. Pm me your callsign when you get things situated. Tell Grandpa I’m gonna make a Brandmeister talkgroup. He’ll know what I mean. Hopefully there’s some more hams on here. Be kinda cool to just key up and talk to RC guys.

Yeah sounds like a plan. I’m still kind of a noob, but an RC talk group would be great

Decided to try out
9781735E-2D38-4B64-B3DD-C14CE8ABD9B5.jpeg
this new range extender to see if mine wasn’t working properly and also the other one I ordered from China also showed up so now I have two options.
Soldered the plug to a balance lead and ready to go
4DC88C0D-E431-47A4-8F41-DF5897DE631F.jpeg

Two guys I run with use the radiolink rg6c remote and get 1400-1500ft each way. I just measured with google earth knowing where they start and run from.
And if no one has mentioned yet the BEC voltage usually is set to 5.5 on the caste esc, but most servos and receivers can handle 7.5 or higher which also helps with range.
From reading a bunch of info online it seems like the most important part about the range is the strength or the signal. On stock remotes fresh batteries or a plug in battery pack will get better range than batteries that are near their lower voltage to run the remote.
I assumed using a longer antenna on the receiver would help signal but it could cause interference to pick up and wouldn’t strengthen the signal at all.

Where did you get your booster from?
The one I posted a link on page 1 of this thread usually takes me about a month to get from China. It’s the same ones I see on Amazon once in a while.
Just curious of other brands or faster delivery options
Mine came from China, ordered through eBay, I got it in 3 weeks

Yeah, mine took 1 month off of eBay, and it went on My 4pm

Forgot to mention your concern about lengthening the antenna. The outcome is quite the opposite. If you stick your antenna higher out of the car you are getting further away from interference. These little cars have a lot going on in a small package, as you know. Getting the antenna up gets it away from the motor, ESC, batteries, wires, etc., which is a great thing for what we’re doing. One thing I understand well is how RF works. One of my three hobbies is ham radio, so take that for what it’s worth. ;)
In the manual for my DX5C it actually states that the antenna should be pointed straight up and that it should be the highest point on the car.

And I know these are older radios but Big Squid tested out some a while back https://www.bigsquidrc.com/2-4-ghz-radio-transmitter-shootout/

Here's the TLDR version for some of you.
24355234235vcbnvbitled.jpg

Yeah, antenna furthest from the ground helps.
heres what we got so far

spektrum DX3S
620 feet
tactic TTX-240
808 feet
spektrum SLT3
Roughly 500 feet
Spektrum DX3
Roughly 800 feet
spektrum DX5
Roughly 1000 feet
radiolink RC4GS
About 1200 feet
radiolink RC6GS
1600ft (tested)
traxxas TQ (4 da laughs) (the xo1 one)
840 feet
Flysky noble NB4
1800 feet
flysky noble pro
1800 feet
Futaba 3PRKA
650 feet
futaba 3PL
1058 feet
futaba 4pks
1233 feet
Futaba 3PV
1300 feet (1900ft w/ range booster)
futaba 4PM
1500 feet stock (1950 w/ booster)
Futaba 7PXR
2000 feet w/ range booster
futaba T10PX
2100+ feet with range booster

Last edited:
I got some guy blowing up the comments on my Noble NB4 range test video saying his dx5c does 2200ft in each direction for 4400ft range for a speed run.
First I don't believe a word of it, second how can you see beyond 2000 ft?

I got some guy blowing up the comments on my Noble NB4 range test video saying his dx5c does 2200ft in each direction for 4400ft range for a speed run.
First I don't believe a word of it, second how can you see beyond 2000 ft?
Ehh. There's always gonna be that "one upper". I "MAY" believe that if he's running a booster while standing on a hill and each slope is 2200ft. Maybe. At ~1700ft the car looks like a fly on the wall in front of me.

Ehh. There's always gonna be that "one upper". I "MAY" believe that if he's running a booster while standing on a hill and each slope is 2200ft. Maybe. At ~1700ft the car looks like a fly on the wall in front of me.

Yeah man I couldn't see the car at all. But, I have a silver car on a grey concrete road.

One way measurement using measuring app.

Dx5pro 2021 model stock with sr515= 526meters on a regular street with industrial buildings around.

7PXR stock with R2006GS = 743 meters same location.

Nice info on this thread.. I'm glad to see I don't need a range booster to get 1500ft or greater range when better receivers will do the trick. I'm finally ready to get out to a 2,000ft road and do my own range tests tomorrow. Got my Mojave and Notorious test rigs ready to go, the Mojave is on an Noble NB4 with a FGR4 receiver, with stock antenna and an additional Frsky long antenna. The Notorious is on a Radiolink RC6 with the R7 dual antenna receiver. I'll be on a road in a residential area with houses, so there will be wifi and other signals around so I probably will have reduced range somewhat. If I can get 1500ft one way range out of both radios I'll be happy

unnamed.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back