Rattling noise around motor/diff area.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cam1234

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
I have the v3 arrma granite blx and i was driving it around until it suddenly started making a sort of rattling noise. I took out the motor and reposition the motor but after putting the car back together it is still making loud rattling noise. Does anyone know what is happening and how to fix it?

Check if it does the noise with only the rear wheels spinning. If no noise, check the input gear with the front diff.
If it still makes the noise, check with the motor on its own. If no noise, check the input gear with the rear diff.
If it still makes noise, check the mesh between the gear and spur.

OK, so i cannot attatch either a video nor an audio recording to this site for some reason. I have taken out the driveshaft and i can spin the front wheels perfectly. When i try the rear wheels the noise happens again. I am quite new to rc cars so is there a tutorial on how to fix this sort of problem etc. so that i do not destroy my rc. Also, will this be an expensive fix?Thanks

OK, so i cannot attatch either a video nor an audio recording to this site for some reason. I have taken out the driveshaft and i can spin the front wheels perfectly. When i try the rear wheels the noise happens again. I am quite new to rc cars so is there a tutorial on how to fix this sort of problem etc. so that i do not destroy my rc. Also, will this be an expensive fix?Thanks
Drop it in as a YouTube video👍

Drop it in as a YouTube video👍
1617105733765.png

1617105748000.png

Here are some pictures of the rear diff. It is difficult to move the transmission. Any issues that you can spot?

Take the rear diff out and spin the input gear. If it doesn't feel nice and smooth, look at the input gear to see if any "teeth" is missing.
You may need to take the 2 screws hold the yoke to access the input gear if you need a closer look.

Take the rear diff out and spin the input gear. If it doesn't feel nice and smooth, look at the input gear to see if any "teeth" is missing.
You may need to take the 2 screws hold the yoke to access the input gear if you need a closer look.
ok, will do

The part where there is no sound is when i lift the rear wheels off the ground, a couple seconds later i put the rear wheels down and the sound continues. Here is a youtube link:

Last edited:
Video is below

Take the power module out: 1 screw to take off under the red part then pull that part away. Now you should be able to take the power module out. Does it make the same sound? If not, then open the power module (3 screws) and check the mesh, pinion and spur.
Having said that it doesn't sound bad... is it "worse" when powered?

Take the power module out: 1 screw to take off under the red part then pull that part away. Now you should be able to take the power module out. Does it make the same sound? If not, then open the power module (3 screws) and check the mesh, pinion and spur.
Having said that it doesn't sound bad... is it "worse" when powered?
Hello, i have already depieced the entire engine module and checked for a bent plate, missing teeth etc. I also made sure that the pinion and spur gear are correctly aligned. I then put everything back together and it still made a noise. I then accessed the rear differential and could not see any damage. It is still as fast as it was before but i want to make sure that i am not damaging anything and also it gets super loud at higher speeds so if i could solve this issue it would be great.

To me it sounds like a normal noise from the gear and the motor turning. Sure it wasn't doing this from day 1?
Obvious that when you lift the rear there is no force going to the motor and the rear wheels spin instead.
Stop tinkering nothing wrong with it 😜

To me it sounds like a normal noise from the gear and the motor turning. Sure it wasn't doing this from day 1?
Obvious that when you lift the rear there is no force going to the motor and the rear wheels spin instead.
Stop tinkering nothing wrong with it 😜
I was doing some speed passes in a field and it was totally silent and then suddenly this sound started so it has not been doing this from day one.
OK, so the issue must lie within the engine module: when i removed the engine module the rear diff sounded fine. Here is a video so that maybe one of you can spot some damage:

Give power to the motor, listen and look at how the pinion spins. Check for oscillation (due to tiny bent shaft or damaged bearings).
If no noise, check the spur gear for damages. If none detected, put them together and check the mesh (use the piece of paper trick, works well).

I was doing some speed passes in a field and it was totally silent and then suddenly this sound started so it has not been doing this from day one.
OK, so the issue must lie within the engine module: when i removed the engine module the rear diff sounded fine. Here is a video so that maybe one of you can spot some damage:
Did you find the problem

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back