Struggling to find outer diff grease in my area

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vortekyteky

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Vorteks
Hi all

Just been looking for some grease to go around the diff in my vorteks. I have heard that the Lucas red n tacky is very popular however the only in stock stuff I could find is this 5th wheel version. Would this be the same?

Screenshot 2023-07-14 at 7.21.45 PM.png

Are there any other common greases that I could find in automotive stores? Marine grease?

Also it is the plastic diff.

Thanks

Hi all

Just been looking for some grease to go around the diff in my vorteks. I have heard that the Lucas red n tacky is very popular however the only in stock stuff I could find is this 5th wheel version. Would this be the same?

View attachment 311221
Are there any other common greases that I could find in automotive stores? Marine grease?

Thanks

Everything im reading says its the same stuff, different packaging for different uses.
Source is Lucas.

Everything im reading says its the same stuff, different packaging for different uses.
Source is Lucas
thanks, ill try find some differences if there are any now
I see you are in New Zealand. Not sure how Amazon works for you over there but here's a link. Retail kinda sucks here in the states depending on your location so Amazon, EBay, and other online retailers come through in the clutch for hard to find items.

https://www.amazon.com/Lucas-Oil-Red-Tacky-Grease/dp/B0068C5WD4/ref=sr_1_6?crid=2YERENBF6L2Y9&keywords=red+and+tacky+grease&qid=1689327623&sprefix=red+and+tacky,aps,117&sr=8-6
there is no NZ amazon website, so usually have to ship from either US, UK or AU. Sometimes you have to pay import duties and sometimes you can't even ship it. The item in the link you sent won't ship. I'll try look at some other online stores

thanks, ill try find some differences if there are any now

there is no NZ amazon website, so usually have to ship from either US, UK or AU. Sometimes you have to pay import duties and sometimes you can't even ship it. The item in the link you sent won't ship. I'll try look at some other online stores
Damn...that's crazy.

You can look for grease for bicycles -the ones for hub bearings. They work just as good and should be readily available.

Should be pretty cheap $5.00 for a big tube of the stuff at your local bike shop.

Any plastic safe grease will work.
Good point. I really don't think most diff housings and related parts are very susceptible to grease (petroleum based).. I use brake (and electrical) cleaner on plastics all the time.. some don't fair well but most seem unharmed. I figure grease can't be much if any more harmful? Of course these are just my opinions/observations, so "use at ur own risk"🤷‍♂️😉
Edited.

Last edited:
Hi all

View attachment 311221

Thanks
The red and tacky is good stuff. The 5th wheel might be stickier. https://www.harborfreight.com/85-gr...YObydHDDkc5M3rHifku5LUtuuEH0N4mhoCYkIQAvD_BwE
This super lube is really good for diffs. Been using for years!!

Hi all

View attachment 311221

Thanks
Any automotive NLGI 1 or 2 grease will be just fine. Cheap enough. Don't bother with the RC boutique greases, being expensive for such little quanity. And is just relabled commercial grease anyway. Automotive grease is more than enough protection for RC use. I just prefer the Synthetic water proof ones especially with plastic Main gears. I find Super Lube to be my personal favorite. But also have Lucas Marine and Mobil One Red here.
But that may just be splitting hairs at some point.
You don't need to pack much grease in there. Just cover the gears well enough. Any excess will sling off anyway, and just be a mess and waste when you service the diff next time.

Any automotive NLGI 1 or 2 grease will be just fine. Cheap enough. Don't bother with the RC boutique greases, being expensive for such little quanity. And is just relabled commercial grease anyway. Automotive grease is more than enough protection for RC use. I just prefer the Synthetic water proof ones especially with plastic Main gears. I find Super Lube to be my personal favorite. But also have Lucas Marine and Mobil One Red here.
But that may just be splitting hairs at some point.
You don't need to pack much grease in there. Just cover the gears well enough. Any excess will sling off anyway, and just be a mess and waste when you service the diff next time.
SUPER LUBE 💯👍🫅

I like Super lube grease in all my BB's. I always cleanout new BB's and repack 1/3 of the BB with SL. My BB's have lasted the longest for me this way. For like 20 years doing this routine. I find that many new BB's have little to no grease in them, in many cases. I guarantee that they are all greased properly.
Just never with my Motor BB's however. They only get a drop of SuperLube OIL.
I use an RPM Bearing Blaster ( 2 sizes), with the rubber seals removed, for cleaning my BB's, with Brake cleaner solvent spray.

Last edited:
I have 2 very old grease guns also. One of them just spews out smelly oil now.:LOL:
My current cars don't have any grease fittings anymore. Wish they did.
Heck, back in the day even my old 300D MB door hinges had grease fittings.:LOL:

I have 2 old grease guns also. One of them just spews out smelly oil now.:LOL:
Yeah, my grease gun hung in the garage so long, the blue dye (and oil presumably) in the Mobil XHP 222 grease bleed out onto one of my work benches.. came out clear when I used it..🤔🤷‍♂️🤣 and yes, I still used it! In my 1985 John Deere lawn tractor. It didn't mind.😉🍻
Should've saved it for my rc ring/pinions?😉🤣🤣

Even Mobil One Red breaks down and gets leaky in my Grease gun sitting for years. I called Mobil about that. They said pumped under pressure it should be fine to use ????? Yet my old open Tub/can of the same Mobil One never gets that way. That's odd.:unsure:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back