RCBattery.com 4s Lipo puffing after 3 runs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Humidity has been the biggest killer for mine as well. Been storing them in 'Tupperware' with dry bags and that issue has gone. Keep in mind that I store mine outside and we are usually in the 85% or higher range during the better part of the year.

Self water is a myth. Find some way to discharge or take a hammer or an air gun to it. Then look at Smart batteries system. Much cheaper in long run and safer. One burned up car buys lots of Smart batteries.

Discharge with 12 volt buibs.
I can attest that the salt water does nothing, weeks in the bucket most of the wires rusted off the tabs but there was still like 2v per cell on the cell I could still check.

12v light bulb works great.

Saltwater works, I've done it a few times. However, it takes a very long time (like a week or two) and the sometimes the leads corrode and detach. In the end you might see a few a volt or two, but there is no current behind it. Once you put any load on it, the volts go to 0. But it's a bit sketchy over all.

Now I have a bunch of high current resistors and a Volt/Amp meter to monitor it down to 0V. Then solder the leads together.

Saltwater works, I've done it a few times. However, it takes a very long time (like a week or two) and the sometimes the leads corrode and detach. In the end you might see a few a volt or two, but there is no current behind it. Once you put any load on it, the volts go to 0. But it's a bit sketchy over all.

Now I have a bunch of high current resistors and a Volt/Amp meter to monitor it down to 0V. Then solder the leads together.
Sure it "works" but not like everyone would make you think. Horizon, Traxxas ect will seriously tell you to leave it in overnight..............

I use salt water for my FPV drone batteries (4 and 6s up to 1500 mah) and it works great. I don't fill a big bucket, just a few inches in a large mason jar and the battery goes in connection side down over night. Just a little salt, maybe 1/2 tablespoon does the trick. I haven't had to do this with a surface battery yet, but i don't know why it wouldn't work for those too?

I use salt water for my FPV drone batteries (4 and 6s up to 1500 mah) and it works great. I don't fill a big bucket, just a few inches in a large mason jar and the battery goes in connection side down over night. Just a little salt, maybe 1/2 tablespoon does the trick. I haven't had to do this with a surface battery yet, but i don't know why it wouldn't work for those too?
I've tried it a couple of times, weeks later and the batteries still showed voltage. With the 12v light bulb method overnight and the battery is completely dead.

I take my lipo to battery plus and they handle it for a small fee.

I take my lipo to battery plus and they handle it for a small fee.
My lhs does it for free and I think Lowes does as well.

I've had damaged batteries where total voltage was 0V, which I'm pretty sure is BS. Probably one of the internal connections broke. The only way to SAFELY discharge it is with a conductive liquid that permeates everything.

It takes for ever but it does work.

I've had damaged batteries where total voltage was 0V, which I'm pretty sure is BS. Probably one of the internal connections broke. The only way to SAFELY discharge it is with a conductive liquid that permeates everything.

It takes for ever but it does work.
Simply wrong, the liquid will never 'permeate' anything, those cells are hermetically sealed.
Salt water only provides a conductive path between the cell terminals. Freshwater will do absolutely nothing.
That silver lining will survive all of us, if emerged in water (even when we stand outside the water),

Just had a cell die on a CNHL 4s 6600mah 120c. Ran them in my OC8s and K8s before with no problems. Just got back from running the OC with zero issues until I went to balance charge. Dead cell. Ran them down to 3.7ish and seemed to be fine. Those were 2 of my favorite batteries too..🙄 Now I have 2 4s batteries that I can't use in my 8s rigs because they don't match. Or is that a myth too?
IMG-4114.jpg

Check your balance wires and connector. This looks like a broken wire.
What is the total voltage on the main wires?

If it's still in the 14V range, all you have is one bad balance lead, should be able to repair that one.
---
2 in parallel - you want to have the same packs. You can always buy 1 more of the same.
You can run different packs as well, just make sure you check the weaker one and stop running when that one is at its end, while the other could still be in the 30% range.

Running the same pairs is 'recommended' but I mismatch all the time. Just have to know what you are doing and they need to have roughly the same cell specs

What is the total voltage on the main wires?
I think you're right but I don't see any visible signs of damage on the balance plug or wire.
IMG-4115.jpg

Simply wrong, the liquid will never 'permeate' anything, those cells are hermetically sealed.
Salt water only provides a conductive path between the cell terminals. Freshwater will do absolutely nothing.
That silver lining will survive all of us, if emerged in water (even when we stand outside the water),
Correct, I was not clear, it will not enter the closed cell. That could be a bit hazardous. What I meant is exactly what you pointed out it will get to the broken contacts. Aside from cutting the cells way from the pack and attaching to the contacts there is no other way that I know of.

Thanks for catching that.

I think you're right but I don't see any visible signs of damage on the balance plug or wire.
Probably ripped out of the cell or wire is broken within the heat shrink. Not sure how adventurous you want to be, I'd carefully cut the external heat shrink and take a look. As long as you do not damage the silver lipo shell, it's safe. Do it outside or in a fire/smoke safe environment

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back